Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why 4 divided by 0 equals 1

trevor borocz johnson

Why is 4 divided by 0 = 1?  The answer came to me a couple weeks ago. Any number divided by 0 or nothing leaves one thing left in existence which is the quanity up top you are dividing by. So in the case of 4 divided by zero you are left with one thin, the 4. If you multiply 4 by 0 then the four infinitely dissipates into nothingness. One is the conscious mind as it defines something and zero defines the subconscious or nothingness, empty space. The left side of your brain is your conscious and the right is your subconscious. When they are at balance you may feel sleepy. When one side is bothered you can feel it in your head.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tuco's Gas said:

As we say in Texas, "You went to the well once to often, amigo."

You shoulda stopped right after the above sentence, which was correct. All that stuff afterwards was just mental m********ion. Not math.

My apologies sir as I live in Cleveland where we forbid saying's.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

I thought the only thing forbidden in Cleveland was having a good football team.

Ouch, huh?

We take that as a vague form of prejudice that everyone makes fun of our football team. 

I was there when they filled the field with bottles. Pride comes from a football field filled with bottles not from athletic achievement or earnings. If you can look back and say that's a lot of bottles thrown at the green grass TV ma jigg you know Cleveland population is happy, all of them!

• Like 1

if i'm stabbed in the heart with nothing means i'm 3 quarters alive or 1 quarter dead.. or is this analogy wrong?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

Why is 4 divided by 0 = 1? 

It's not 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

if i'm stabbed in the heart with nothing means i'm 3 quarters alive or 1 quarter dead.. or is this analogy wrong?

If your stabbed out in some trees and the trees are really rustling around like its windy and you cry out et tu Brut? I don't think you should fall down and wiggle on the ground because that guy is still tere that stabbed you. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

If your stabbed out in some trees and the trees are really rustling around like its windy and you cry out et tu Brut? I don't think you should fall down and wiggle on the ground because that guy is still tere that stabbed you. 

oh right, of course- silly me

• Haha 2

This is what you get when your brain is earwax.

• Haha 4

@trevor borocz johnson  I can't help you with the metaphysical stuff, only the mathematics.

Any positive number divided by zero equals infinity,  and any negative number divided by zero equals negative infinity.

Likewise... Any positive or negative number divided by positive or negative infinity equals zero.

• Like 2

I got 4 five pound notes from the bank to give to the kids, when i got home non of them where there, so i divided by non, when they got home i told them i'd divided in their absence and now there was only 1 five pound note left, they were having 'non' of it and got the other 3 five pound notes out of my pocket.  

11 hours ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

Why is 4 divided by 0 = 1?  The answer came to me a couple weeks ago. Any number divided by 0 or nothing leaves one thing left in existence which is the quanity up top you are dividing by. So in the case of 4 divided by zero you are left with one thin, the 4. If you multiply 4 by 0 then the four infinitely dissipates into nothingness. One is the conscious mind as it defines something and zero defines the subconscious or nothingness, empty space. The left side of your brain is your conscious and the right is your subconscious. When they are at balance you may feel sleepy. When one side is bothered you can feel it in your head.

You can't divide by 0.  Maybe there is a new math system that allows that but our standard math does not.  If you have 4 items and you want to divide them how are you dividing by nothing?  That's what 0 signifies, nothing.  If you are using some program that gives you a 1 when you divide by zero, then the program is faulty.  When you multiply by 0 you get 0 because, 0 is nothing so you cannot have 0 groups of 4 or any number.  AND Please quit trying to use math to prove consciousness, at least until you actually learn math!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

We take that as a vague form of prejudice that everyone makes fun of our football team. 

Nothing but respect for the fans of the Browns.  You guys get it.  When my team sucked we loved them anyways.  

22 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

It's undefined.

image.png.bec46f55a19d85ce03e88357cae6b2b4.png

So what are we looking at here? 

16 hours ago, acute said:

@trevor borocz johnson  I can't help you with the metaphysical stuff, only the mathematics.

Any positive number divided by zero equals infinity,  and any negative number divided by zero equals negative infinity.

Likewise... Any positive or negative number divided by positive or negative infinity equals zero.

Wait this is a joke right? I can't buy that so many people are having a hard time with first grade math. If you have 4 apples and divide them 0 times, you still have 4 apples... Not infinity. You can't divide by infinity that isn't a defined number and doesn't have a solution.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

So what are we looking at here?

In that particular it's a graph of f(x) = 4/x.  Which, will have a similar shape to f(x) = k/x where k > 0.

• Like 1

Look at Golden Duck's graph.

Think about this. Do it on a calculator. there is  a pattern to this.

Divide 4 by 4  4 goes into 4 1 time 4/4=1

Divide 4 by 2 .  2 goes into 4  2 times. 4/2=2

Divide 4 by 1   1 goes into 4 4 times  4/1 =4

Now start with some fractions 

Divide 4 by 1/2  1/2 goes into 4  8 times.  4/ (1/2) =8

Divide 4 by 1/16 and you get 64

Divide 4 by 1/64 and you get  256.

.As the divisor gets smaller and smaller, the quotient gets bigger and bigger.

That is what Golden Duck's graph can show you.

As the divisor gets nearly as small as zero, the quotient gets nearly as large as infinity.

So we define 4 divided by zero as infinity because that seems to be the end points of the graph if we could go that far out. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

As @Desertrat56 already said, you can't divide with 0. "Divided with 0" means not divided. So 4 : 0 is 4 not divided.

Despite the lunacy of the OP his equation has confused quite a few people here. 

The answer is neither 1 nor "not divided". It's infinity. 

See @Tatetopa for an explanation

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Arbenol said:

Despite the lunacy of the OP his equation has confused quite a few people here. 

The answer is neither 1 nor "not divided". It's infinity. 

See @Tatetopa for an explanation

Oh really? Can you back that up with a reliable source?

• Thanks 1