Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump authorises Navy to sink Iranian gunboat

RoofGardener

17 hours ago, DarkHunter said:

I feel like I should mention that there is conflicting information on exactly what happened so the information will probably change, heard anything from a frigate or missile craft fired at a frigate, missile craft, or logistic ship with the death toll being anywhere from about 15 to over 40.

Training accidents are always gut wrenching.  I recall a U.S. vessel accidently live firing a missile into the bridge of a Turkish vessel (IIRC) during a NATO exercise years ago.  Terrible tragedy and I'm sure it ruined a few careers as well.

On 5/4/2020 at 1:43 PM, RoofGardener said:

Well, if that is the case, then this is 'death on a stick' for a small-boat swarm attack :)

I remember reading about this weapon in a Clive Cussler novel and assumed it was pure fiction.  I'm not sure if they ever got the bugs worked out but if so, I think this one would deal with fast boats:

:w00t:

gods heavens forbid.. but I agree with Trump on this one.. yes dont fall over with shock.. Iran pull its head in.. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well, here's the thing. People criticise Trump. And gawd knows, he has no military experience. But consider this... 

Since he gave his warning back in April, the Islamic Republican Guard Corps have refrained from harrassing US ships ! That was 6 months ago. 

No experience of the military perhaps, but very good at reading people ! And very effective ! 

Under Obama and his 'appeasement' policy, they where harassing US naval vessels every few weeks ! 

• Like 3

This turned out to be a bit of a disappointment didn't it, like all The Majestic Donald's wars. None of them really came to anything. Syria: threw a few fireworks a couple of times, otherwise a damp squib. Iran: Still just a great deal of bluster, even though they've sunk at least two American aircraft carriers (I may need to check my facts there); he couldn't even manage to invade Venezuela to bring them desperately needed Freedom, for heavens's sake.  

2 hours ago, Space Commander Travis said:

Iran: Still just a great deal of bluster, even though they've sunk at least two American aircraft carriers (I may need to check my facts there)

Iran never sank an American aircraft carrier.  Sinking a single American ship would cause a war near instantly let alone sinking an aircraft carrier.

What Iran did sink after extensive difficulty were two mock up air craft carriers in naval exercises.  These mock up aircraft carriers were essentially just large barges in terms of construction and had none of the structural features of a modern aircraft carrier such as being multi-hull, compartmentalization to stop flooding, ect.  

• Like 1

Don't worry, I'm largely joking. It is in fact pretty much to his credit that he seems to have largely avoided escalation while, also largely, keeping a lid on potential trouble. 

15 hours ago, DarkHunter said:

Iran never sank an American aircraft carrier.  Sinking a single American ship would cause a war near instantly let alone sinking an aircraft carrier.

What Iran did sink after extensive difficulty were two mock up air craft carriers in naval exercises.  These mock up aircraft carriers were essentially just large barges in terms of construction and had none of the structural features of a modern aircraft carrier such as being multi-hull, compartmentalization to stop flooding, ect.  

Apparently one jet aircraft crashed during this simulation, and two gunboats accidently fire on one another. So the wooden aircraft carriers gave as good as they got :D

15 hours ago, Space Commander Travis said:

Don't worry, I'm largely joking. It is in fact pretty much to his credit that he seems to have largely avoided escalation while, also largely, keeping a lid on potential trouble. 

Yes, by standing up to the bullies, and threatening them. Unlike the Obama method of cringing, apologising, and trying to be reasonable. (which just the Iranians to attack even more).