Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Facebook to label popular posts with geograph

Kismit

Considering that Fox news and our president spread fake news all the time I am sure that is not going to help.  :lol:

• Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Considering that Fox news and our president spread fake news all the time I am sure that is not going to help.  :lol:

From what I see spread I think it’s a decent start. So long as posters can not disguise their locations as they have been able to in the past 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kismit said:

In an effort to decrease the spread of misinformation Facebook will be implementing a geographic label to confirm the United States and Russia is the country of origin for its most widely spread conspiridiot posts. 

:yes:

:lol:

13 minutes ago, Kismit said:

From what I see spread I think it’s a decent start.

A decent start would be to put Zuckerberg in prison. A real one, where if Nation of Islam doesn't get him The Hatred will. :tu:

Seriously though they did ban the Epoch Times. Now I wish YouTube would. 

• Like 2

As long as the geo tag doesn't give so much info that it enables people to commit crimes against others, it sounds like a decent idea.  I wonder, does it identify location simply by server/ip address?  If it's done like that it's useless because of the widespread use of VPN, or am mistaken about that?

• Like 1

Just now, and then said:

As long as the geo tag doesn't give so much info that it enables people to commit crimes against others, it sounds like a decent idea.  I wonder, does it identify location simply by server/ip address?  If it's done like that it's useless because of the widespread use of VPN, or am mistaken about that?

Nope, I had a proxy server in my camper at one time. My location would be anywhere from Berlin to San Juan. 

• Like 1

Just now, Piney said:

Nope, I had a proxy server in my camper at one time. My location would be anywhere from Berlin to San Juan. 

I'm not IT savvy by any means and when I began using a VPN I started having messages occasionally that a certain store or service I was looking into wasn't available where I "was".  I had to log out and select a server in the U.S.  :) 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, and then said:

My understanding is that you are correct there. Facebook software would have to beat VPN

• Thanks 1

They will ban any VPN location masked posts they decide are controversial on an ad hoc basis. 

10 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

They will ban any VPN location masked posts they decide are controversial on an ad hoc basis. 

More likely the fake news would originate on 4Chan or 8 Chan and then be carried and distributed via people residing in the countries the misinformation is aimed at.

Far simpler way to get a message out and keep it there. The longer I think about it the more pointless this measure seems to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kismit said:

More likely the fake news would originate on 4Chan or 8 Chan and then be carried and distributed via people residing in the countries the misinformation is aimed at.

Far simpler way to get a message out and keep it there. The longer I think about it the more pointless this measure seems to be.

It will probably work for the most part - as I imagine most Facebook users will use smart devices to "check-in", etc.  Google is better at knowing which pub I've visited, and when, than a wife or girlfriend.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kismit said:

Feel-good gestures always are--but they make good copy and placate the public at their breakfast and morning coffee or tea, perusing the web.

35 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Feel-good gestures always are--but they make good copy and placate the public at their breakfast and morning coffee or tea, perusing the web.

I think it is an issue that needs addressing and I am pleased to see facebook has had much more fact verification. So any attempt towards lessening the spread is in fact a positive.

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

I might be wrong (not a computer expert) but I don't think you can tell if a VPN is used 

VPN's don't hide where you are as much as it makes it look like you are somewhere else. 

So instead of showing Ohio, USA it could show Mexico City, Mexico as my location.

3 hours ago, Kismit said:

I think it is an issue that needs addressing and I am pleased to see facebook has had much more fact verification. So any attempt towards lessening the spread is in fact a positive.

Perhaps--or you just made my point. LOL:rofl:

3 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I might be wrong (not a computer expert) but I don't think you can tell if a VPN is used 

VPN's don't hide where you are as much as it makes it look like you are somewhere else. 

So instead of showing Ohio, USA it could show Mexico City, Mexico as my location.

If you say so. They sure the hell can tell if you're using an ad blocker, 'though.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Piney said:

:yes:

:lol:

A decent start would be to put Zuckerberg in prison. A real one, where if Nation of Islam doesn't get him The Hatred will. :tu:

Seriously though they did ban the Epoch Times. Now I wish YouTube would. 

I'm like one of the few people I know that doesn't do Facebook or Twitter or Snapchat, etc.  Honestly, I had to do a google search to find out what the Epoch times is. B)

The only Social Media outlet I partake in is UM.  Ya'll are it!  :yes:

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, joc said:

The only Social Media outlet I partake in is UM.  Ya'll are it!  :yes:

Ditto!!  :yes: