Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Scudbuster

Heavily Religious People

294 posts in this topic

Scudbuster

On my FB page, I have quite a few heavily religious type friends. I rarely ever talk about that subject with them.

However, they flood my news feed virtually every day with "god this" "god that" - or "Jesus will save you" etc etc etc. stuff. I just ignore it, and I rarely ever comment about these posts to them.

My question is this - why do these folks feel the need to swamp others with their religious interests, beliefs, etc? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

joc
10 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

My question is this - why do these folks feel the need to swamp others with their religious interests, beliefs, etc?

Because they feel it is an edict from their Lord...go out into the world and preach the gospel...they believe they are doing God's will and following his commandments.  

I deleted my Face Book page a long time ago.  I have no such problems. :)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Orphalesion
Posted (edited)

Well I think one part is because a lot of the branches of Christianity put a heavy emphasis on sharing your faith with others, both so that Jesus will think you're good enough for heaven (because you have confessed to your faith in him in front of others, like that one passage somewhere in the bible says) and so that the people who haven't become Christians yet have a chance of going to heaven. So they think it's their job, even more important than their actual job, because it saves people from hellfire.

Though tbh....I think at least some of them talk a lot about their faith and how great it is...because they have nagging doubts about it and want to convince themselves. Not all of them of course, but at least some. You know just like when somebody continuously tells you how happy they are.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 5

hetrodoxly

I'm what i've termed a 'cultural Christian' in the UK for over a thousand years it's permatated nearly every aspect of life, literature, music and song, poetry, architecture and landscape whether you realise it or not, what actually bothers you about Christians sending a Christian message, if some people on a site used football terminology a lot would this have the same affect if you're not into football or Pagans, would you think F$%^& Pagans.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Sherapy
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

On my FB page, I have quite a few heavily religious type friends. I rarely ever talk about that subject with them.

However, they flood my news feed virtually every day with "god this" "god that" - or "Jesus will save you" etc etc etc. stuff. I just ignore it, and I rarely ever comment about these posts to them.

I have friends like this too on my Facebook feed and it is how they cope with uncertainty, fear, insecurities, and loneliness. 

For them, it fills a void. In many ways, their belief gives them a life or hope of one that is better. They feel acceptance. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 8

hetrodoxly

You don't have to be a Christian to enjoy Christian culture, this song can bring a tear to the eye.

• Like 1

susieice
Posted (edited)

Why can't people just pass it by and scroll on? Just ignore it. People don't have a problem with Christmas or Easter. My newsfeed is really full of that stuff.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 4

Stubbly_Dooright

@Imaginarynumber1

1 hour ago,  joc said: 

Because they feel it is an edict from their Lord...go out into the world and preach the gospel...they believe they are doing God's will and following his commandments.  

I deleted my Face Book page a long time ago.  I have no such problems. :)

Wasn't there a part about praying in private and something about if people aren't receptive to your message then to shut the hell up?

That’s what I thought. I’m very curious to this. 

This does remind me, while living in base housing in another state, many years ago, received in the mail a strange letter. It was postmarked somewhere in the south eastern U.S. and it looked like it came from some out of the way religious cult. Christian in nature, it looked like to me. 

The letter itself was blasting church attendance and that meetings themselves were considered sinful. :huh:  As someone, who (and her family) doesn’t participate in religious activities, and never have, I considered this not that important to take notice to. Though, I do find it interesting how this letter was blasting something, various other door to door proselytizers were pushing for years. I don’t know if the subject in this letter is connected to your point, Imaginary, but it sure seems to me like it is. 

And I think, the irony...... :lol:  

I also have one or two on my facebook page, who are just like that. They are good friends, (one of them more so) and I do what others here do, ignore it and go to the next post. Especially, when it comes to the one close friend. They had a horrible car accident years ago, and I think amazingly, survived it. It was that bad. ( I know, I visited this person in the hospital right after the accident) I have a feeling, this is something that is close to this person, and I don’t blame them for it. 

I also keep in mind, (and I think this goes hand in hand to what someone else he said) it’s important to them and feel it will help others. Another friend, (who died of cancer years ago) use to post that way, and I consider who am I to say otherwise? It is what gives them comfort. I would still like to see these posts, just to know this person is still with us. 

• Like 4

XenoFish

They're probably just sharing something that inspires them. 

• Like 6

Hammerclaw

One of the most amusing, yet benign caricatures of religious people is that of Phillipe the Mouse in the movie, Ladyhawke. His ongoing, one-sided conversation with God  pretty much hits the mark describing the average believer. I do it all the time, myself. Most consider their belief a blessing and their religious upbringing teaches them it is a blessing to be shared with anyone; no one is undeserving. When they mention God with you, they are including you in that conversation. You are as relevant to them as any believer, more so, in fact, if you don't believe. It's a form of intercession, an extension of spiritual protection from them to you, irritating and presumptuous though it may be. It's just second nature to them, that's all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Stubbly_Dooright
27 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

One of the most amusing, yet benign caricatures of religious people is that of Phillipe the Mouse in the movie, Ladyhawke. His ongoing, one-sided conversation with God  pretty much hits the mark describing the average believer. I do it all the time, myself. Most consider their belief a blessing and their religious upbringing teaches them it is a blessing to be shared with anyone; no one is undeserving. When they mention God with you, they are including you in that conversation. You are as relevant to them as any believer, more so, in fact, if you don't believe. It's a form of intercession, an extension of spiritual protection from them to you, irritating and presumptuous though it may be. It's just second nature to them, that's all.

Was that port played by Matthew Broderick? I loved that movie.(Fell in love with the late Rutger Hauer right then and there.) Anyways, it might just be me, but I always thought they played off PHillipe as a little bit as a joke there. Though, he was part of the protagonist/hero there. 

I have a friend, from years ago, very kind and very open to listening to others and their path, just wanted to spread her happiness with others. In which, I totally understand. :yes:  I feel that way, when it comes to a lot of things. I had come to a conclusion some time ago, that everyone is different. And like, one’s person’s heaven, is another person’s hell, if it works for them, it works, if it doesn’t, so not to push it. 

• Like 1

Hammerclaw
4 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Was that port played by Matthew Broderick? I loved that movie.(Fell in love with the late Rutger Hauer right then and there.) Anyways, it might just be me, but I always thought they played off PHillipe as a little bit as a joke there. Though, he was part of the protagonist/hero there. 

I have a friend, from years ago, very kind and very open to listening to others and their path, just wanted to spread her happiness with others. In which, I totally understand. :yes:  I feel that way, when it comes to a lot of things. I had come to a conclusion some time ago, that everyone is different. And like, one’s person’s heaven, is another person’s hell, if it works for them, it works, if it doesn’t, so not to push it. 

One's beliefs(or lack thereof) are an integral part of who one is. In interhuman relationships we expose others to who we are. We "push" ourselves onto others, as a matter-of-fact. The onus of any offense taken is on the offended. We can't change or mitigate who we are.

• Thanks 1

openozy
2 hours ago, Scudbuster said:

It's just nagging.I believe they are very fearful of dying and want to recruit others to their fear filled existence.

• Like 2

Stubbly_Dooright
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:
17 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

One's beliefs(or lack thereof) are an integral part of who one is. In interhuman relationships we expose others to who we are.

I don’t argue with that. That makes sense to me. 

We "push" ourselves onto others, as a matter-of-fact. The onus of any offense taken is on the offended. We can't change or mitigate who we are.

Well, whether those that do push themselves on others, I don’t think is going to have a healthy affect within the relationship. And I don’t believe, for one minute, that it’s on the offended to be blamed for being offended. I find that an incredible reaching joke. I feel, this is saying we are in control of our feelings, and I strongly believe, we are not. We are in control of our behaviors, so we can behave accordingly to being offended, but if we’re offended, let’s be honest, we’re offended. This is like it’s saying, the offensive is excused for the offensive behavior, and they shouldn’t be. 

I feel, it’s the set up of the human psyche, that allows the side effect of how one takes someone else’s behavior. That someone can actually use thought on how they want to be treated, by not pulling the offense. I feel strongly, that excusing the offensiveness of one party of a relationship, poison’s the relationship. 

It’s true, we cant change who we are. So, I see that goes hand in hand on how we react to others. In fact, we can have the choice in separating ourselves from those, who can’t seem to see how their behaviors controls the situation. 

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright

Hammerclaw
7 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I don’t argue with that. That makes sense to me. 

Well, whether those that do push themselves on others, I don’t think is going to have a healthy affect within the relationship. And I don’t believe, for one minute, that it’s on the offended to be blamed for being offended. I find that an incredible reaching joke. I feel, this is saying we are in control of our feelings, and I strongly believe, we are not. We are in control of our behaviors, so we can behave accordingly to being offended, but if we’re offended, let’s be honest, we’re offended. This is like it’s saying, the offensive is excused for the offensive behavior, and they shouldn’t be. 

I feel, it’s the set up of the human psyche, that allows the side effect of how one takes someone else’s behavior. That someone can actually use thought on how they want to be treated, by not pulling the offense. I feel strongly, that excusing the offensiveness of one party of a relationship, poison’s the relationship. 

It’s true, we cant change who we are. So, I see that goes hand in hand on how we react to others. In fact, we can have the choice in separating ourselves from those, who can’t seem to see how their behaviors controls the situation. 

If someone finds the mere mention of God offensive, tough. Let them be offended. If someone finds the mere mention of atheism offensive, tough. Let them be offended, as well. Excepting the deliberately and antagonistically offensive, no one should have to hide or apologize for sincerely held beliefs and opinions. Overtly taking offense in that regard is a choice. One is not responsible for the choices of others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Will do
Posted (edited)

Religion, politics, philosophy, scientific theory, everyone talks about their perspectives to certain degrees. UM is a forum just for this purpose. All good.

But why is it particularly perturbing to some when religion is brought up?

I believe it has to do with obligation, whether God's existence is believed to be true or not.

People of faith take this obligation seriously, others obviously do not but because no one can objectively prove God exists, a skeptic still has to deal with the possibility that he (or it) does I think, which is why a skeptic gets perturbed when someone brings it up. Which is interesting that some, like those here, so vehemently engage themselves in discussing it with religious people.

So what the hell is this obligation anyway? Is it that a person is supposed to be a believer in one or another organized religion? Or is it something else? 

Personally I cannot reconcile that this obligation to the God that actually does exist, contradistinctive to a God that doesn't (based on erroneous ancient tales and myths) is simply the same obligation we as children have towards our good parents. 

Edited by Will Due

Stubbly_Dooright
38 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

If someone finds the mere mention of God offensive, tough. Let them be offended. If someone finds the mere mention of atheism offensive, tough. Let them be offended, as well. Excepting the deliberately and antagonistically offensive, no one should have to hide or apologize for sincerely held beliefs and opinions. Overtly taking offense in that regard is a choice. One is not responsible for the choices of others.

I think, there’s two separate situations going on here. In my opinion, of course.

I truly understand, that no one should change the path, atheism or believers, at all. Yes, if one is offended by somebody else’s belief, they have no business being part of that persons life. Much less, trying to change it. 
because yes, I would consider that that wrong.

I guess, this goes hand-in-hand with my feeling that you can’t choose your feelings of being offended. Being offended of somebody else is religion, but I think the choice is how you behave towards them. Even, when is offended by their beliefs  or no beliefs , but treating them like they have every right to it. Because in the end, no one has a right to control others or at least steer them in a direction that’s not their path.

I can see how your thoughts are, now as I read them. Which, makes me think is it a conundrum to think this. When someone’s belief affects others, is it someone else’s right to put them on the path of thoughtfulness? Or, just let them realize why they are pushing people away?

• Like 1

Stubbly_Dooright
26 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Religion, politics, philosophy, scientific theory, everyone talks about their perspectives to certain degrees. UM is a forum just for this purpose. All good.

But why is it particularly perturbing to some when religion is brought up?

I believe it has to do with obligation, whether God's existence is believed to be true or not.

People of faith take this obligation seriously, others obviously do not but because no one can objectively prove God exists, a skeptic still has to deal with the possibility that he (or it) does I think, which is why a skeptic gets perturbed when someone brings it up. Which is interesting that some, like those here, so vehemently engage themselves in discussing it with religious people.

So what the hell is this obligation anyway? Is it that a person is supposed to be a believer in one or another organized religion? Or is it something else? 

Personally I cannot reconcile that this obligation to the God that actually does exist, contradistinctive to a God that doesn't (based on erroneous ancient tales and myths) is simply the same obligation we as children have towards our good parents. 

I find it interesting, that you question what an obligation or what that obligation is. I consider it a thought-provoking question.

if we are to talk about the differences of obligation, maybe we should consider but the obligation is for or towards. Whether it’s toward something provable or something that it’s not and I say that in the objective manner. That means, and obligation toward something we all see not consider in our unique ways.

I consider that, as my obligation to my family, to behave socially and lawfully, and towards situations others can see me behaving and obligating towards  

I find it a bit frustrating, that how I Celebrate and practice various subjective things, has a varying obligated factor in how I practice that.I guess I could call that subject of obligation. In that manner, it’s no one else’s business no matter how when once the other person to be happy.

One persons happiness is another person’s misery.

• Like 1

Hammerclaw
17 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I think, there’s two separate situations going on here. In my opinion, of course.

I truly understand, that no one should change the path, atheism or believers, at all. Yes, if one is offended by somebody else’s belief, they have no business being part of that persons life. Much less, trying to change it. 
because yes, I would consider that that wrong.

I guess, this goes hand-in-hand with my feeling that you can’t choose your feelings of being offended. Being offended of somebody else is religion, but I think the choice is how you behave towards them. Even, when is offended by their beliefs  or no beliefs , but treating them like they have every right to it. Because in the end, no one has a right to control others or at least steer them in a direction that’s not their path.

I can see how your thoughts are, now as I read them. Which, makes me think is it a conundrum to think this. When someone’s belief affects others, is it someone else’s right to put them on the path of thoughtfulness? Or, just let them realize why they are pushing people away?

If people recoil away from who and what one is, that's their choice. You can't make it for them. The only alternative is to cease to be that which one is. That is a choice one can make.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stubbly_Dooright
7 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

If people recoil away from who and what one is, that's their choice. You can't make it for them. The only alternative is to cease to be that which one is. That is a choice one can make.

That’s my point. It seems we’re talking behaviors here, and that’s why I say we can control the behaviors.

it’s how we feel about someone, or how someone makes us feel, it’s something we don’t have control over. But It can stop there and how others know about it.

if someone wants me to feel negative and bad about myself, because I grew up with no religion, And goes through that act, no doubt I’ll probably feel what they want me to feel. I had no choice, my feelings are instinctual. But I will blame that person for wanting me to have those feelings. It definitely makes me seem negative about them and they deserve that outlook.

but yes, it’s my choice to grab something heavy like a 2 x 4 and slap them over the head over and over and over and over and over and over again. I can choose, to find something lighter like a feather.

or, I can also choose to walk away and disassociate myself with them. But there is no way I can feel different, and how I was made to feel. There are other choices to help me heal with that you know,  like with chocolate.

• Like 1

Scudbuster

Great responses everyone - many thanks -  and you all make some great points and a lot of sense. 

• Like 3

joc
13 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

I kind of feel that same way about positive thought process...except...that is 'real'....

• Like 1

and then
18 hours ago, Scudbuster said:

Short answer is that usually Christians take the words of Christ seriously and He commanded that the message of the Gospel be shared.  He also told His disciples that if they came to a town where His message was rejected, to shake the dust of that place off their feet and move on.  He certainly never asked anyone to try to make people believe the message.  It's quite enough just to share it.  To plant a seed, if you will.  How or when that seed grows is not the responsibility of Christians.

• Like 2