Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Four police killed in after car stop

Peter B

Police had pulled over a car for speeding, and after further investigation decided to impound the car. While this was being arranged a semi-trailer crashed into the car and two police cars, killing the four police. The driver of the speeding car fled the scene. The driver of the semi-trailer was hospitalised after blacking out after the accident.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-22/police-officers-killed-in-crash-on-eastern-freeway-melbourne/12174586

Then, some more information came out about the driver the speeding car:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-24/porsche-driver-charged-after-crash-that-killed-police-officers/12179242

The Porsche driver who allegedly fled the scene of a freeway crash which killed four police officers was filmed heaping abuse on one of the victims and complaining about the damage to his car, a court has heard.

ETA: Just to clarify, he was allegedly filmed by the body-cam of one of the police as she was dying.

• Sad 8

One of the biggest risk to highway patrol everywhere.

Looks like the truck driver may have blacked out or fell asleep at the wheel.

Sad. :no:

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

That's what I was thinking, the truck driver blacked out before the accident, not after.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

That's what I was thinking, the truck driver blacked out before the accident, not after.

Yeah there was a statement in the second link that had me thinking the same thing.

Police are still waiting to interview the driver of the refrigerated truck, which Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said appeared to have moved from the right-most lane of the freeway to the emergency lane shortly before it hit the officers while travelling at 100kph. (about 62mph)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, I'd assumed the semi driver would likely have blacked out before the accident, but I was sure one of the articles I'd read (not one I linked) quoted police as saying he blacked out after the accident. Of course I now can't find that reference, so I could well be mistaken.

In the meantime, there was another article featuring dashcam footage from a month or so ago showing someone driving a Porsche at insanely high speed down a Melbourne freeway, although it's unclear whether it was the same car or same driver as the ones at the centre of this incident.

• Like 2

Porsche Pusey has form for similar behaviour, it was probably him Peter B. 
Reportedly he verbally abused one of the dying officers before harring off in his car.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

We have a portion of Interstate 10 that runs across Mobile Bay and about 20 years ago a similar accident occurred when a state trooper had pulled over a speeding vehicle.  The driver had gotten into the back seat of the patrol car and while the Trooper was writing the ticket a trucker had dozed off and rear ended them.  They died in a fireball :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

15 hours ago, Peter B said:

Police had pulled over a car for speeding, and after further investigation decided to impound the car. While this was being arranged a semi-trailer crashed into the car and two police cars, killing the four police. The driver of the speeding car fled the scene. The driver of the semi-trailer was hospitalised after blacking out after the accident.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-22/police-officers-killed-in-crash-on-eastern-freeway-melbourne/12174586

Then, some more information came out about the driver the speeding car:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-24/porsche-driver-charged-after-crash-that-killed-police-officers/12179242

ETA: Just to clarify, he was allegedly filmed by the body-cam of one of the police as she was dying.

He needs to be charged as an accessory to their deaths if he ran without even trying to get them medical help.  Scummy excuse for a human being...

• Like 4

And now the driver of the semi-trailer has been charged:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-27/driver-of-truck-in-crash-that-killed-four-police-charged/12187792

He was released from hospital and questioned by police about the crash for the first time on Sunday night, before he was charged with four counts of culpable driving causing death.

During a brief hearing in the Melbourne Magistrates' Court this morning, Mr Singh's lawyer Steven Pica said his client felt "deeply saddened and distressed by the tragic consequences" of the crash, and had been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks.

Mr Pica also said his client may have an undiagnosed psychiatric illness.

Mr Singh appeared unshaven and had his head bowed for most of the hearing.

He did not apply for bail and was remanded in custody to appear in court again in October for a committal mention.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Richard Pusey, an Australian national, has admitted to celebrating and filming four police officers who lay dying on the road after being hit by a lorry that had breached its lane on a freeway in Melbourne last year. last year.

MSN

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Richard Pusey, an Australian national, has admitted to celebrating and filming four police officers who lay dying on the road after being hit by a lorry that had breached its lane on a freeway in Melbourne last year. last year.

MSN

I hope that whatever deal he struck doesn’t result in some BS short sentence which is not applicable to what happened. 

His prior criminal history is concerning, to say the least.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Timothy said:

I hope that whatever deal he struck doesn’t result in some BS short sentence which is not applicable to what happened. 

His prior criminal history is concerning, to say the least.

Knowing the state of our legal system right now, slap on the wrist, community behaviour order, told to be nice. 

• Sad 2

• 1 month later...

An Australian man has received a 10-month jail sentence for filming and mocking police officers as they lay dying at a crash scene.

Last month Richard Pusey pleaded guilty to the rare charge of outraging public decency, as well as other offences.

The 42-year-old has already been in custody for nearly 300 days, so he will likely complete his sentence within days.

The sentencing judge called his actions "heartless, cruel and disgraceful".

Pusey's case has stirred huge public anger. Last month, Judge Trevor Wraight said the media had demonised Pusey to the point where he was "probably the most hated man in Australia".

Richard Pusey: Australian jailed for filming dying officers - BBC News

Edited by ted hughes
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good. 
What’s And Then’s favourite phrase? Play stupid games, win stupid prizes? well suck on your prize, Pusey.

• Like 5

10 months in prison isn't nearly long enough. Perhaps life in the mental wing would be more appropriate.

• Like 9

How about all the other charges? Will he still be tried for them? 10 months is nothing.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-23/victoria-police-officers-killed-kew-eastern-freeway-crash/12175656

Late on Thursday evening police formally charged Mr Pusey, a mortgage broker,with multiple offences.

Those charges are:

• Three counts of commit indictable offence while on bail
  • Driving speed dangerous
  • Reckless conduct endangering life
  • Fail to remain after a drug test
  • Fail to render assistance
  • Fail to exchange detail
  • Possessing drug of dependence
  • Destruction of evidence

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

10 months in prison isn't nearly long enough. Perhaps life in the mental wing would be more appropriate.

He has to return to life in Australia afterwards. I don't envy him......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ted hughes said:

He has to return to life in Australia afterwards. I don't envy him......

He'll just change his appearance a little and move to another part of Oz. His friends/family will most likely have already set that up for him. :(

• Sad 2

Good luck finding another job.   His life is forever ruined.   Self-inflicted though.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Myles said:

Good luck finding another job.   His life is forever ruined.   Self-inflicted though.

He’ll probably end up on Dancing with the Stars or I’m a Celebrity.... after all we have convicted drug smugglers* on those programs as celebrities, so why not “Australia’s Most Hated Man”?

*I’m not joking, Shappelle Corby is routinely on those sort of programmes. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Mohinder Singh got 22 years.

The 10 months Pusey received for outraging public decency is pretty hefty compared to other convictions.

7 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Mohinder Singh got 22 years.

The 10 months Pusey received for outraging public decency is pretty hefty compared to other convictions.

Holy crap. 22 years?! Did he intentionally run down those officers?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Holy crap. 22 years?! Did he intentionally run down those officers?

If that's sarcasm I don't get it it.

The sentence is one of the lengthiest imposed in Victoria over a road tragedy.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/eastern-freeway-crash-truckie-mohinder-singh-jailed-for-22-years-over-deaths-of-four-police-officers-20210413-p57iz2.html

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

No sarcasm.. its more than deliberate murderers get. 

The average term of imprisonment for multiple murders is more than 26 years.