Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Peter B

Four police killed in after car stop

Peter B

Police had pulled over a car for speeding, and after further investigation decided to impound the car. While this was being arranged a semi-trailer crashed into the car and two police cars, killing the four police. The driver of the speeding car fled the scene. The driver of the semi-trailer was hospitalised after blacking out after the accident.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-22/police-officers-killed-in-crash-on-eastern-freeway-melbourne/12174586

Then, some more information came out about the driver the speeding car:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-24/porsche-driver-charged-after-crash-that-killed-police-officers/12179242

The Porsche driver who allegedly fled the scene of a freeway crash which killed four police officers was filmed heaping abuse on one of the victims and complaining about the damage to his car, a court has heard.

ETA: Just to clarify, he was allegedly filmed by the body-cam of one of the police as she was dying.

Edited by Peter B
  • Sad 7

Buzz_Light_Year

One of the biggest risk to highway patrol everywhere.

Looks like the truck driver may have blacked out or fell asleep at the wheel.

Sad. :no:

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Desertrat56
1 hour ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

That's what I was thinking, the truck driver blacked out before the accident, not after.

Buzz_Light_Year
27 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

That's what I was thinking, the truck driver blacked out before the accident, not after.

Yeah there was a statement in the second link that had me thinking the same thing.

Police are still waiting to interview the driver of the refrigerated truck, which Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said appeared to have moved from the right-most lane of the freeway to the emergency lane shortly before it hit the officers while travelling at 100kph. (about 62mph)

• Like 2

Peter B
11 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, I'd assumed the semi driver would likely have blacked out before the accident, but I was sure one of the articles I'd read (not one I linked) quoted police as saying he blacked out after the accident. Of course I now can't find that reference, so I could well be mistaken.

In the meantime, there was another article featuring dashcam footage from a month or so ago showing someone driving a Porsche at insanely high speed down a Melbourne freeway, although it's unclear whether it was the same car or same driver as the ones at the centre of this incident.

• Like 1

President Wearer of Hats

Porsche Pusey has form for similar behaviour, it was probably him Peter B. 
Reportedly he verbally abused one of the dying officers before harring off in his car.

• Like 1

and then
15 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

We have a portion of Interstate 10 that runs across Mobile Bay and about 20 years ago a similar accident occurred when a state trooper had pulled over a speeding vehicle.  The driver had gotten into the back seat of the patrol car and while the Trooper was writing the ticket a trucker had dozed off and rear ended them.  They died in a fireball :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

and then
15 hours ago, Peter B said:

Police had pulled over a car for speeding, and after further investigation decided to impound the car. While this was being arranged a semi-trailer crashed into the car and two police cars, killing the four police. The driver of the speeding car fled the scene. The driver of the semi-trailer was hospitalised after blacking out after the accident.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-22/police-officers-killed-in-crash-on-eastern-freeway-melbourne/12174586

Then, some more information came out about the driver the speeding car:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-24/porsche-driver-charged-after-crash-that-killed-police-officers/12179242

ETA: Just to clarify, he was allegedly filmed by the body-cam of one of the police as she was dying.

He needs to be charged as an accessory to their deaths if he ran without even trying to get them medical help.  Scummy excuse for a human being...

• Like 2

Peter B

And now the driver of the semi-trailer has been charged:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-27/driver-of-truck-in-crash-that-killed-four-police-charged/12187792

He was released from hospital and questioned by police about the crash for the first time on Sunday night, before he was charged with four counts of culpable driving causing death.

During a brief hearing in the Melbourne Magistrates' Court this morning, Mr Singh's lawyer Steven Pica said his client felt "deeply saddened and distressed by the tragic consequences" of the crash, and had been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks.

Mr Pica also said his client may have an undiagnosed psychiatric illness.

Mr Singh appeared unshaven and had his head bowed for most of the hearing.

He did not apply for bail and was remanded in custody to appear in court again in October for a committal mention.