Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'UFO' filmed emerging from an active volcano

UM-Bot

Are you joking? This is very old footage of a “ fireball”? Lava ball. Isn’t it? 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, curiouse said:

Are you joking? This is very old footage of a “ fireball”? Lava ball. Isn’t it? 

The footage is dated April 20th, 2020.

There have been other stories about Popocatepetl, but to the best of my knowledge this one has not been featured before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

It would be interesting if a clever person was able to map its trajectory and see if there is any slight curve on its flightpath. If there is then it would suggest gravity pulling it down and therefore it is a rock being expelled. If there is no curve up an upward curve then it suggests that it is powered by something. 

• Like 1

object could simply be a blob of lava or a rock being expelled from the volcano - something that most likely happens all the time.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/336634/ufo-filmed-emerging-from-an-active-volcano

Shame they slowed the clip right down, its actually speed would have shown it was spewed out.

But I suppose they have to 'entertain' people during lockdown.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Berwen said:

It is not clear to me if the object came from the volcano or is from the sky behind.

Zoom in on it, its coming from the volcano. This is not an unusual thing to see from active volcanos. 

They are called lava or volcanic bombs

Volcanic bombs can be thrown many kilometres from an erupting vent, and often acquire aerodynamic shapes during their flight. Bombs can be extremely large; the 1935 eruption of Mount Asama in Japan expelled bombs measuring 5–6 m (16-20 ft) in diameter up to 600 m (2,000 ft) from the vent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_bomb

Edited by freetoroam
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

They are called lava or volcanic bombs

And cool down into geodes. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saru said:

The footage is dated April 20th, 2020.

But it's been recycled and it's old footage.

Surely if it is a lava bomb then we might see some smaller ones being ejected with it and maybe a plume of gas or smoke as a result of the ejection, but the slow speed doesn't help. I'll keep an open mind on this one.

Glowing blobs flying out of active volcanoes aren't weird, rare, or UFOs.

Also, it's odd to show it in frame by frame mode as well as zoomed in/cropped to leave out the part where it arcs back downward.

1 hour ago, Piney said:

But it's been recycled and it's old footage.

Can you link me to where this footage has appeared before ?

• Like 1

Ah it's Popocatepetl... As far as I know it's exactly the 1000th pla... sorry UFO flying in and out of it. It's Mexico, the land of wonders.

Edited by Chaldon

15 hours ago, ExoPaul said:

It would be interesting if a clever person

Ooh, one for me!!  :D

was able to map its trajectory and see if there is any slight curve on its flightpath.

Well it's a good idea, but I just lost interest.  Too many variables here, not the least of which would be the likelihood of strong, variable and unpredictable air currents / outgassings...

If there is then it would suggest gravity pulling it down and therefore it is a rock being expelled. If there is no curve up an upward curve then it suggests that it is powered by something. 

As above, you'd need to take into account everything that might alter it's path, and know it's weight (which likely changed as it went along...).  Not a trivial exercise, indeed I'd say it was likely impossible, or would have a wide error range.

13 hours ago, Passing through said:

Surely if it is a lava bomb then we might see some smaller ones being ejected with it

Why?  How often do you think they happen?  I don't know the answer, either... but it would, of course, be a mostly random thing - it would be entirely plausible that there might just be one over a short period.  How long does this clip go for? - the comments suggest it is short, in fact suspiciously so..

Sounds to me like there is nothing worthy of investigation whatsoever.  But just outa interest, I used to be an avid rockhound, and still have a healthy rock collection including several lovely geodes that started their existence in this way...  In quite a few areas they are referred to as 'Thunder Eggs'.  Cute.  (Is that term just used in Oz?)

Edited by ChrLzs

I wonder what the frame rate was. With some assumptions we could figure out the velocity.

It does seem to be a lava bomb.

Edited by DieChecker

This looks exactly like a plane flying over a volcano to me. There's nothing I see that convinces me it actually came out of the volcano instead of from behind it. What am I missing here?