Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How Would You React. To A God Revelation?

Hammerclaw

13 minutes ago, and then said:

I think it would matter HOW such a revelation was accomplished.  In most people's lives, they have no room for a god other than themselves so the tendency would be to reject faith, even if there was evidence of a sort that was irrefutable to a rational person.  From what I've seen of people in my life, even if they actually believed that conforming to rules that were laid down by a supernatural being would make their lives better... many would still rebel against it.  

Why does a person have to belief in a Omni faceted perfection to have a better life. How does conforming to the rules of a so called god give a better life? 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Some refuse to believe in God without proof of his existence and evidence of who and what he really is.

Others believe him already without all of that.

Is there anyone here who thinks the difference between those two groups doesn't really matter?

10 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Some refuse to believe in God without proof of his existence and evidence of who and what he really is.

Others believe him already without all of that.

Is there anyone here who thinks the difference between those two groups doesn't really matter?

As I see it, there are two paths to faith: To have no access to knowledge and education, or a rejection of it.

Only a tiny fraction of people can know and believe at the same time. And then it's often a question of comfort, and never orthodox.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Will Due said:

It only matters IF god exists and IF god wants us to know/believe it exists.

If god doesn't care or doesn't exist then if we believe in it or not then there really isn't a conflict between people who believe it does and those that don't apart from people asserting that it does with no objective evidence.

The problem arises when people are threatened with punishment for their stance either way.

That brings up another question of divine revelation.  Why do only some get them and other do not? 

For whatever reason full-on undeniable revelation is claimed by very few people.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

I've studied nature and immersed myself in it for years. And in fact often label myself a Pantheist when asked about religious or spiritual beliefs.

"It" to me is a "ground of being" type of feeling I can get amongst Nature. "Part of the thousand things which are really One" as the Taoist might say.

That's another way to look at it, but it goes much deeper.

If you're happy, stay where you are :tu:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

All the respect Pinester: you know how the psychology has worked in past experience. But a never before encountered and extremely powerful visual and aural intervention from a heretofore unexperienced supernatural entity could rock your belief system. Or non-belief system. All I'm saying is, one never knows.

I can describe all kinds of experiences that would rock a normal persons world because I was put through them before they were explained to me. But I was taught not to fear. 

Just like we never know how we will react in our first combat situation. Mine was nothing like I imagined. Even after going thru training.

Surreal, dreamlike......like the whole thing was in a movie. The sounds and the smells stronger than the sights. 

"It" to me is a "ground of being" type of feeling I can get amongst Nature. "Part of the thousand things which are really One" as the Taoist might say.

And that is not a "rock your world" experience to "feel the all and know". 

• Like 6

I would be very pleased.

It a would take a big revelation for me to believe thought because my initials doubts would be that I'm having psychosis. But if the revelation was able to show me information that is just immpossible for me to know otherwise or some other undeniable things showing me that the revelation is real.

I would be happy. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I would have to be “wowed” and the evidence would have to be solid to actually consider this kind of experience as valid, let alone be a spokesperson for anything divine. 

That's given. The question is a "what if" one about how you would react to a completely convincing revelation, publicly or privately experienced.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I would be very pleased.

It a would take a big revelation for me to believe thought because my initials doubts would be that I'm having psychosis. But if the revelation was able to show me information that is just immpossible for me to know otherwise or some other undeniable things showing me that the revelation is real.

I would be happy. 

Post 25 covers your post, as well.

Curious, how the minds of all the posters here shy away from the actual question to dispute what has been stated as a clearly hypothetical, foundational premise. 

I'll ask again. If it happened, how to you see it impacting your life, your worldview, you're hopes, dreams, your aspirations?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

That's given. The question is a "what if" one about how you would react to a completely convincing revelation, publicly or privately experienced.

What would be totally convincing? Honestly, I don’t know. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

Just now, Sherapy said:

What would be totally convincing? Honestly, I don’t know. 

You're not being asked to believe, only to participate in a thought experiment. If it abraids a raw nerve, feel free to decline. Some people aren't very good at "let's pretend."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Curious, how the minds of all the posters here shy away from the actual question to dispute what has been stated as a clearly hypothetical, foundational premise. 

I'll ask again. If it happened, how to you see it impacting your life, your worldview, you're hopes, dreams, your aspirations?

It would prove what I already strongly suspect - if we rule out a psychotic incidence.

Impact? None really. Besides the constant doubt that would be gone.

Edited by sci-nerd

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

You're not being asked to believe, only to participate in a thought experiment. If it abraids a raw nerve, feel free to decline. Some people aren't very good at "let's pretend."

It is a good question, No raw nerves abraided, just looking at it.

I think you nailed it with some see no point in pretend. I am one of those, maybe. 

Why are you asking is more interesting. :P

• Like 3

Just to get into the mood... 

[00.02:46]

~

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Post 25 covers your post, as well.

"Confirmation bias" ? I don't quite follow ?

26 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I don't think it would really change any of my behaviors or life plans.

I already try to be what I think is a good person. 

It would probably give me some peace of mind by having a possible afterlife.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, third_eye said:

~

19 minutes ago, third_eye said:

~

Ha ha ha ha ha :nw:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I don't think it would really change any of my behaviors or life plans.

I already try to be what I think is a good person. 

It would probably give me some peace of mind by having a possible afterlife.

If I may what is the appeal of an afterlife?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

If I may what is the appeal of an afterlife?

I generally enjoy living so it is appealing for me to keep living lol.

Edit: it would probably be fair to add that I also have a couple dead friends who died young I would like to see again.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

If you want a better answer. Not even the most profound spiritual experience or divine revelation could change my mind. Heaven, hell, some afterlife, even god itself couldn't cause me to believe. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

There is more than one possibility within your "givens." At one extreme, I'd be broken, and no longer me. I'd need to reassemble a self, and I have no idea how that would turn out, because I can only speak for the me that I am. Paul writes about dying in his Lord as a result of his revelatory experiences; something like "death of the personality" surely could happen to me.

But that extreme isn't the only possibility. Suppose I'm not broken. Mark's Jesus said, "Be careful that no one leads you astray. For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am,’ and will lead many astray" (13:5-6) Within your givens, God knows that I've read that, and having set aside the hypothetical extreme, I'm still me. That is, the fellow who read that and really admires Mark And now, what do you know, Mark isn't a work of fiction after all. It seems.

So, Question 1: Why ought I overlook your previous advice?

Presumably that begins a conversation, and we'll see how it goes for impact on my life, worldview, hopes, dreams and aspirations.

That's what I meant earlier by cautious. Caution does not exclude the possibility of being finally convinced; I am not answering outside your givens. But so long as I am still here and still me, conviction will be the end of a process. Maybe the process will be as short as a really good answer to Question 1; maybe more give and take will be required.

BTW, I am not shying away from anything. God has my email address and phone number. He can set this up if he'd like. As Moses famously said when called: "I'm here." (Exodus 3:4) Me, too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I generally enjoy living so it is appealing for me to keep living lol.

Edit: it would probably be fair to add that I also have a couple dead friends who died young I would like to see again.

Ahhh gotcha, thank you for answering. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, eight bits said:

At one extreme, I'd be broken, and no longer me. I'd need to reassemble a self, and I have no idea how that would turn out, because I can only speak for the me that I am.

This is something I think about from time to time. What if God reveals himself to me now in a way I'm not prepared for. The older one gets, the more one gets "set in their ways" and the harder it is to abandon a life's worth of conclusions.