Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How Would You React. To A God Revelation?

Hammerclaw

4 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's all hypothetical, or a pure fantasy scenario for some. It might be an affirmation or a bewildering experience if disassociated from conventional theology. No one really knows from a factual perspective if there is a God/Creator and what He/She/It is really like.

I’m glad you gave different perspectives and examples. Though,  I would have differing opinions based on each of them.

Bottom line though, I think my first initial response would be skepticism. And I will place them on how I was raised, with  no religion.

And, is this my own personal revelation or somebody else is telling me about it? Because, if it’s my own, well I’ve been handling mine just fine. 
if it’s someone else’s, no matter what, I would still have the ‘jury is still out’ line of thinking.

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, eight bits said:

Cautiously.

Annnnnnd, that would also be my answer. ;)  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

How much did I drink? What did I take? And how far down the rabbit hole have I fallen? 

Wait, now I have another submission. 

• Like 2

If this revelation occurred to me, I would be uncertain whether this was a god or just an advanced visitor from an alien civilization.  At some point, does that really make a difference?

I imagine any star traveling alien worth his salt could do a few things we would consider miracles.

I think I would suspect the worst if the revelation was to me alone and not to humanity as a whole.  I have no sense of being a chosen one, so I might think the alien was trying to get me to be his agent in some nefarious scheme.

I think I learned the beginnings  in childhood of a pretty good way to live and treat other people, and have been failing and trying again through my adulthood.  If they give me good advice  that seems right and probably correlates with what I have been taught, that would be nice, but  I am not sure what it adds.  Good advice can come from god or an alien, or the voice within your head or a wise teacher.

If they threaten to melt me into a spot of grease, I would be terrified and fearful, but then half the people on this site could do that with the arsenal they have in their house. However,  that is a case that might reveal a truth about myself to myself.  In that final moment  would I stand there and quiver  and beg or take it resolutely with what grace I could muster.  That is one of the questions of life we all have to answer eventually.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:
3 hours ago, Piney said:

Since you are God

Well. Cats out of the bag. Guess I've got to rapture people now. 

"Vega. Play BFG division." 

Well if you’re God, and I’m your mom, what does that make me?

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

If this revelation occurred to me, I would be uncertain whether this was a god or just an advanced visitor from an alien civilization.  At some point, does that really make a difference?

I imagine any star traveling alien worth his salt could do a few things we would consider miracles.

I think I would suspect the worst if the revelation was to me alone and not to humanity as a whole.  I have no sense of being a chosen one, so I might think the alien was trying to get me to be his agent in some nefarious scheme.

I think I learned the beginnings  in childhood of a pretty good way to live and treat other people, and have been failing and trying again through my adulthood.  If they give me good advice  that seems right and probably correlates with what I have been taught, that would be nice, but  I am not sure what it adds.  Good advice can come from god or an alien, or the voice within your head or a wise teacher.

If they threaten to melt me into a spot of grease, I would be terrified and fearful, but then half the people on this site could do that with the arsenal they have in their house. However,  that is a case that might reveal a truth about myself to myself.  In that final moment  would I stand there and quiver  and beg or take it resolutely with what grace I could muster.  That is one of the questions of life we all have to answer eventually.

You had an excellent point, I am not interested in gods I am interested in how I  will face my end, if it goes that way, 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, and then said:

I think it would matter HOW such a revelation was accomplished.  In most people's lives, they have no room for a god other than themselves so the tendency would be to reject faith, even if there was evidence of a sort that was irrefutable to a rational person.  From what I've seen of people in my life, even if they actually believed that conforming to rules that were laid down by a supernatural being would make their lives better... many would still rebel against it.  

I really don’t believe this as actually happening. I know of so many who make room for others besides themselves. And, there’s no proof of any kind of God, I still behave as selfless as I  just said. If One believes in God or whatever higher power, wouldn’t they make the room? If they don’t have the proof, it’s not that they’re not making the room, there’s just nothing to fill it. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, eight bits said:

There is more than one possibility within your "givens." At one extreme, I'd be broken, and no longer me. I'd need to reassemble a self, and I have no idea how that would turn out, because I can only speak for the me that I am. Paul writes about dying in his Lord as a result of his revelatory experiences; something like "death of the personality" surely could happen to me.

But that extreme isn't the only possibility. Suppose I'm not broken. Mark's Jesus said, "Be careful that no one leads you astray. For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am,’ and will lead many astray" (13:5-6) Within your givens, God knows that I've read that, and having set aside the hypothetical extreme, I'm still me. That is, the fellow who read that and really admires Mark And now, what do you know, Mark isn't a work of fiction after all. It seems.

So, Question 1: Why ought I overlook your previous advice?

Presumably that begins a conversation, and we'll see how it goes for impact on my life, worldview, hopes, dreams and aspirations.

That's what I meant earlier by cautious. Caution does not exclude the possibility of being finally convinced; I am not answering outside your givens. But so long as I am still here and still me, conviction will be the end of a process. Maybe the process will be as short as a really good answer to Question 1; maybe more give and take will be required.

BTW, I am not shying away from anything. God has my email address and phone number. He can set this up if he'd like. As Moses famously said when called: "I'm here." (Exodus 3:4) Me, too.

It's curious and your answer is honest and the closest I have thus far read to even to attempt to answer the question. It's curious how hyper and defensive some of the responses have been. It really does seem to touch a raw nerve in some. It's ironic how some of the very same people have no compunction, no empathy when they confront believers with the very real possibility their God isn't real. I didn't anticipate this level of anxiety over pretending God or a higher power does exist.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Ahhh gotcha, thank you for answering. 

Actually thinking about your question more I realize that the answer is not that simple.

No one has ever asked me why an afterlife would be appealing, to me it has always just felt self-evident to me that it would be appealing.

So my question to you or others is would an afterlife not be appealing to you?

Thinking deeper about it I think the idea of an afterlife is appealing to me because I feel like it would give some sort of repreive to those who suffer. I suppose death already gives a reprieve to those who are suffering, but it dosen't go far enough for me, death only ends the suffering it never gets the person a chance to expierence happiness and joy now that the suffering has ended.

So for me, the idea that when people die, no matter how much they suffered they will be able to love on with peace and joy like they didn't know during life is appealing to me. It would feel like there is some sort of rightness in the universe.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

Some refuse to believe in God without proof of his existence and evidence of who and what he really is.

Which makes a whole lotta sense. 

Others believe him already without all of that.

Yeah, and?!

Is there anyone here who thinks the difference between those two groups doesn't really matter?

Does it matter to you?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

There is a god. I'm going to hell has been confirmed. Yeah, pretty much my view. 

Your mama won’t let you. 

• Haha 4

Okay, I'm at a clear disadvantage here, help me out, what language would this God be speaking with... 

~

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, eight bits said:

BTW, I am not shying away from anything. God has my email address and phone number. He can set this up if he'd like.

What if he friends you?? ;)  :P 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's curious and your answer is honest and the closest I have thus far read to even to attempt to answer the question. It's curious how hyper and defensive some of the responses have been. It really does seem to touch a raw nerve in some. It's ironic how some of the very same people have no compunction, no empathy when they confront believers with the very real possibility their God isn't real. I didn't anticipate this level of anxiety over pretending God or a higher power does exist.

Idk why you sound combative.

If you want anyone to elaborate on a post more just ask lol.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Okay, I'm at a clear disadvantage here, help me out, what language would this God be speaking with... 

~

Good point!  :D  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I think the point here it is, if it is recognizable as an actual revelation. Maybe, if the parameters were set up said you definitely had a revelation, then what?! 
And what would it look like? Is it gonna be something that affects you subjectively? Because, I feel like I’ve had a lot of those. 
The thing is, none of them would be like your God revelations. They would be revelations closer to what I would believe in, and possibly most don’t believe it.

if they are set up in objective manner, well, there’s no denying it I guess. How would I react? Maybe the same way how I’m looking at this COVID-19/social distancing thing. Half believing it. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, third_eye said:

~

I always imagined the expierence would transcend language. Sort of like how feelings during dreams work.

In dreams you just "know" what's going on somehow without any words.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

The answer to that would depend completely on the nature/identity (if applicable) of said God. And whether it/he/she is the only such entity.
There's also the question whether my mortal human mind would even be capable of processing said "god" if we assume a creator who is omnipotent omniscient and omnipresent.

It would be...I dunno if I can describe how I'd feel, since there's nothing in my past experiences that would compare to a meeting with the divine. I mean how would you even "meet" that? How would you meet a...thing...entity...god (see none of these words apply imho) that's beyond any multiverse, beyond any reality? That's the wellspring and architect of...everything...
How would you communicate with something like that? Something that by its nature would be infinite/uncountable magnitudes more above us than we are above bacteria?

So before I take part in such a thought experiment somebody would first have to explain to me how a meeting with "god" would even work. Would it create an avatar to interact with me? Would it take a "form I am comfortable with"? Would it send a messenger? Would I for a moment "glimpse infinity"? How would that work without me going insane from it? 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

What posts are hyper defensive. I see posters sharing all kinds of views, I think every contribution has been interesting and many have helped me get a better understanding of why or why not god for them, 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

I always imagined the expierence would transcend language. Sort of like how feelings during dreams work.

In dreams you just "know" what's going on somehow without any words.

Uhmmm... I ain't gonna get into what goes on in my dreams but suffice to say I don't really know what goes on most of the times when or if, I remember them...

~

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

29 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Actually thinking about your question more I realize that the answer is not that simple.

No one has ever asked me why an afterlife would be appealing, to me it has always just felt self-evident to me that it would be appealing.

So my question to you or others is would an afterlife not be appealing to you?

Thinking deeper about it I think the idea of an afterlife is appealing to me because I feel like it would give some sort of repreive to those who suffer. I suppose death already gives a reprieve to those who are suffering, but it dosen't go far enough for me, death only ends the suffering it never gets the person a chance to expierence happiness and joy now that the suffering has ended.

So for me, the idea that when people die, no matter how much they suffered they will be able to love on with peace and joy like they didn't know during life is appealing to me. It would feel like there is some sort of rightness in the universe.

I get this, thank you for sharing. 
 For me, personally I have no interest in an afterlife. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Sherapy said:

I get this, thank you for sharing. 
 For me, personally no interest in an afterlife. 

Why is that?

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Why is that?

For me, there is no evidence viable enough at this time, to entertain one. 

I am on the front lines of living, I immerse and engage fully in my experiences, now. That is all I have Spartan. and have peace with it. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 7

35 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Idk why you sound combative.

If you want anyone to elaborate on a post more just ask lol.

I don't either, since I'm not. Perhaps it's you feeling defensive for some inexplicable reason? Seriously, I'm just amusing myself and thought I'd  replace the closed thread. I simply wish everyone would imagine that all their conditions for belief were met and satisfied and consider answering my question. It's not real, it's just pretend, but it really seems to be a problem for folks. Quite unintentional and unanticipated on my part.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

What posts are hyper defensive. I see posters sharing all kinds of views, I think every contribution has been interesting and many have helped me get a better understanding of why or why not god for them, 

Point the ones out that answer the question, it shouldn't take long. I think you'd have to agree, the premise I posited has pretty much been ignored, with many of the responses somewhat surly and disdainful and merely restatements of their stance on non belief. 

• Like 2