Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How Would You React. To A God Revelation?

Hammerclaw

10 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Mine...:wub:

Oh my God, this brings back nostalgia and memories........!!! :D  

Here’s my contribution. I figure it’s something that is reflecting the times, it seems. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Sherapy said:
9 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

I had my epiphany, my "God Revelation" years ago. It was When I had l had left the fold, then came realize that Science and a Creator are not mutually incompatible. Science Fiction bridged the divide for me, so I crossed back over.

That makes sense. What was your revelation like?

You know, I find it funny. Considering all of the video dedications and topics of revelations, I get a lot of mine from music. In fact, my path to my beliefs started with a particular artist and the song that followed. A lot of times, after this moment, it’s mostly songs that inspire me. They tend to accompany my other subjective experiences. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, eight bits said:

Apart from that, though, I did conceive of it all as a single revelatory episode. I have this conversation with a mysterious stranger, and then, perhaps later as I review all that transpired, I conclude with confidence that the mysterious stranger is God.

Sounds good, it's fine that it's a single revelatory episode because, although as you said it could possibly be another source, the providing of an instance of (b) is decent evidence to conclude it was God.

5 hours ago, eight bits said:

If both Hammer's and my premises are accepted, then there is another way for continuing importance to arise from an isolated divine encounter after which God goes back into hiding. Because an instance of (b) is proof that my current way of thinking is fundamentally unsound, maybe I catch a glimpse of a different better way to think instead. Maybe I even learn how to think that way. From your perspective, I become yet another believer who "just knows" things he can't prove, but yes, now that I've been shown the right direction, it turns out that there are some things that I do "just know," things which I provably cannot prove to you. (Part of why Godel's Theorem was such a nasty problem in the first place... and what the myth of Cassandra was about long, long before that).

Again this is an interesting topic as it can go in so many different directions, and not trying to fence in your scenario, but for clarification which thing do you 'just know':  an instance of (b) or that God exists?  I assume that it is that God exists, I've been under the impression that the revelation of (b) was not fleeting like the usual LSD-based revelation for example:  "I understood how everything was all one and interconnected, man, and how beautiful and perfect it all was... and then I came down and lost my understanding of all that".  I was thinking that since in your scenario that you were in possession of a 'formally valid proof' then (b) is not the thing you 'just know', I presume formally valid proofs can be shared with others (and to that extent you may have the best evidence of God's existence ever obtained).  

I was taking Hammer's scenario to be asking more about what impact finding out god exists would have.  But you mention that maybe you catch a glimpse of a better way to think not because of the realization that god exists, but because of the instance of (b) which you also indicate ultimately could have come from a source other than God.  That leads me to believe that your perspective change is only indirectly and not mostly because of the revelation that god exists, it is the additional information that god provided for you that is perspective-changing without also adding, "and god exists too".  To borrow one of your earlier scenarios, let's say the mysterious stranger shows up and asks us what may convince us it is god, and we say to provide us the winning Powerball numbers. It responds by providing three sets of numbers and says to play them for the next three drawings, it vanishes never to be heard from again, and the numbers come up just as it said.  That would also be a decent basis by which to make a gestalt conclusion that God exists but, outside of the additional riches, would not be as likely to result in you catching a glimpse of a different way to think to the extent (b) would; it's already possible that someone could pick three consecutive winning lottery numbers all on their own, and God looking into the future doesn't break anything we already know.  An instance of (b) is perspective-changing all on its own no matter the source, what does also finding out that a god exists change in your perspective?  Maybe some things undoubtedly, but I don't think to the extent that the standalone instance of (b) would.

Edited by Liquid Gardens
me no typey good
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

You know, I find it funny. Considering all of the video dedications and topics of revelations, I get a lot of mine from music. 

Me too, I think I've built a little bit of a spiritual outlook just from the experience of frisson , which I experience fairly regularly.  I don't have an evolutionary explanation for it, nor music-based euphoria in general.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Me too, I think I've built a little bit of a spiritual outlook just from the experience of frisson , which I experience fairly regularly.  I don't have an evolutionary explanation for it, nor music-based euphoria in general.

I usually have this experience every day. Sometimes several times a day. Every time initiated by the music I'm listening to.

You know, I find it funny. Considering all of the video dedications and topics of revelations, I get a lot of mine from music. In fact, my path to my beliefs started with a particular artist and the song that followed. A lot of times, after this moment, it’s mostly songs that inspire me. They tend to accompany my other subjective experiences. 

That's so interesting that you shared that Stubbly. The song below is definitely the song that triggered what you mentioned above for me. I was seventeen then.

The funny thing about that is that when I discovered it, I was not inclined to ever listen nor consider the lyrics that accompanied the music I was listening to instrumentally (I've learned to not do that anymore). But the word "Supreme" in the song still does now, like it did then, make the hair on my body stand up with goose bumps.

The universality of music will forever fascinate me beyond words.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

I usually have this experience every day. Sometimes several times a day. Every time initiated by the music I'm listening to.

That's so interesting that you shared that Stubbly. The song below is definitely the song that triggered what you mentioned above for me. I was seventeen then.

The funny thing about that is that when I discovered it, I was not inclined to ever listen nor consider the lyrics that accompanied the music I was listening to instrumentally (I've learned to not do that anymore). But the word "Supreme" in the song still does now, like it did then, make the hair on my body stand up with goose bumps.

The universality of music will forever fascinate me beyond words.

I get the feeling you on musically inclined. I have a feeling you played least one instrument. I play the piano/keyboards. 
I also have some musical courses back at a community college I attended. One of my classes always had us listening to a particular song, critiquing it, and breaking down what the instruments and voices  are and what it does for us. Or, something close to that.

I’ve long since unconsciously listen for what is playing in a song and identifying it in my head. Plus, I feel I am more appreciative of music and songs and I was in the past because of this class.

Not that I don’t think everyone doesn’t have the ability to be inspired from Music, but I think that those who can break down the nuances of a song/music peace, I think tends to also feel it intimately.

I feel, no wonder some will get a overwhelming/spiritual inspiration from it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Liquid Gardens said:
2 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

You know, I find it funny. Considering all of the video dedications and topics of revelations, I get a lot of mine from music. 

A conversation I had with a fellow coworker before the shut down, we discussed what were our favorite music and artists and how they keep us sane. We both mention how we listen to our favorites and it was the right thing to do to keep us going through all this.

if anything, Pentatonix(which is the group I just posted), The fat rat, Vicetone, another such artist like Phil Collins, is listen to by me almost religiously. I think it’s because, so much including a message of hope and inspiration can be tightly concentrated in  a 2 to 5 minute song.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I get the feeling you on musically inclined. I have a feeling you played least one instrument. I play the piano/keyboards. 
I also have some musical courses back at a community college I attended. One of my classes always had us listening to a particular song, critiquing it, and breaking down what the instruments and voices  are and what it does for us. Or, something close to that.

I’ve long since unconsciously listen for what is playing in a song and identifying it in my head. Plus, I feel I am more appreciative of music and songs and I was in the past because of this class.

Not that I don’t think everyone doesn’t have the ability to be inspired from Music, but I think that those who can break down the nuances of a song/music peace, I think tends to also feel it intimately.

I feel, no wonder some will get a overwhelming/spiritual inspiration from it.

Yeah I've been playing music my whole life. Drums, guitar, bass even pencils on my coffee cup.

And yes, I'm one if those who has overwhelming spiritual experiences (sometimes) when involved musically. To me they're equivalent to experiencing those not so very elusive "God revelations" that's the subject of this thread.

When that happens, my whole body goes a tingle when I'm either playing or listening to something like this:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Here’s my contribution. I figure it’s something that is reflecting the times, it seems. 

Incredible technically. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Yeah I've been playing music my whole life. Drums, guitar, bass even pencils on my coffee cup.

And yes, I'm one if those who has overwhelming spiritual experiences (sometimes) when involved musically. To me they're equivalent to experiencing those not so very elusive "God revelations" that's the subject of this thread.

When that happens, my whole body goes a tingle when I'm either playing or listening to something like this:

For anyone that vibes with god whatever that means or doesn’t mean to them. Enjoy or not. 

https://www.musixmatch.com/lyrics/Sofi-Tukker/Drinkee-Radio-Edit/translation/english

English translation.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

A little late for the music fest, but here is my meagre contribution:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

A little late for the music fest, but here is my meagre contribution:

It is never to late to share Jodie gurl.

• Like 2

Ok girls, this one's for you. 

Amazing

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Ok girls, this one's for you. 

Amazing

Wow, just wow.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

There is already a thread devoted to music.

deleted

Edited by Sherapy

6 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I think this is an excellent point, music is inspirational to most of us. 

I am awestruck by Elvis’s “Amazing Grace” every time I hear it.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, rashore said:

Indeed, this thread has derailed into a musical... Let's get back to the OP topic please. 

Yes, but my musical post relates to my concept of eternity, and this thread is dealing with the alleged creator of eternity.

My earlier question as to why a deity is required, leads to this. 

A seed is fertilized, grows, sprouts, germinates, blooms, and then dies and decomposes back into the soil, to provide food for the next iteration of flowers. Why must a being be responsible?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Sherapy said:
7 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Incredible technically. 

I know, right?!?!? Amazing for an a cappella group. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Speaking of movies, Harriet Tubman comes to mind as far as “god” revelations go, as I watched the movie I was struck by how she believed that freeing slaves was divine revelation that drew upon her own inner resources to do her work as an activist, 

I can’t say I doubt her after watching this movie. 

I find this an interesting side trip of thought. If you will. Speaking of movies and such(though I’m actually reminded of a couple  of TV series) in how the characters react to situations and away I think I would too. 
i’m reminded of 2 TV series, Resurrection (where dead characters come back to life)

and Manifest (where an airplane full of people come back after being missing for five years)

and yes varying amounts of divine situations going on in it makes you think of what is feeding into the situations.

it’s not that I believe in these situations, but if they did occur and then with proof of them, I would believe  

• Haha 1

I find this an interesting side trip of thought. If you will. Speaking of movies and such(though I’m actually reminded of a couple  of TV series) in how the characters react to situations and away I think I would too. 
i’m reminded of 2 TV series, Resurrection (where dead characters come back to life)

and Manifest (where an airplane full of people come back after being missing for five years)

and yes varying amounts of divine situations going on in it makes you think of what is feeding into the situations.

it’s not that I believe in these situations, but if they did occur and then with proof of them, I would believe  

Have you watched American God’s? I think Piney recommended it way back it is entertaining to say the least. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Have you watched American God’s? I think Piney recommended it way back it is entertaining to say the least. 

If the gods exist because we created them, then there are no real spiritual epiphany.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

If the gods exist because we created them, then there are no real spiritual epiphany.

It seems that created or not some feel they have epiphanies that matter to them, I tend towards a realist approach, but it has been fun and educational to explore other perspectives. 

I am seeing that many walks of beliefs find music to be spiritual and unifying. I can relate. 

The premise of the thread is to pretend or try to pretend what it would be like to have a god sighting if all conditions are met. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

The premise of the thread is to pretend or try to pretend what it would be like to have a god sighting if all conditions are met. 

Sorry. But I can not meet that criteria. 

• Like 1