Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do we live in a self-simulating universe ?

UM-Bot

Just now, sci-nerd said:

If that's what it takes, to keep doing what you have a passion for, then it sounds like a good idea! They are totally transparent about what they do.

Klee Irwin is a complete screwball.  

2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Consciousness is not primary. It's just a very cool algorithm.

That would be materialism.

5 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Attention gives rise to "matter", which is really just pixels, or voxels.

Matter is really just thought. Matter is the props in Consciousness' play/drama of the universe.

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You shouldn't have dived into the deep end. 

I'll be the judge of that. I am very comfortable in this deep end. And maybe stick to the discussion and not personal insults that make you look small.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Piney said:

Klee Irwin is a complete screwball.  

And he's the reason I never donated money to them. I asked him to address the criticism about his persona, and he refused to answer.

But his colleagues are cool enough, and so is their research.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

They are totally transparent about what they do.

It's a totally transparent 501c3 with no signs of skimming or high living by anybody.....

......but Klee Irwin is still screwy.  :yes:

28 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Then it all comes down to who wrote the programs for reality. Lovely a new religion is born. Praise be unto the Great Programmer.

Worship might be misplaced. Could be an alien teenager doing a history project.  Wonder what happens when she finishes, turns it in and goes on to something else?  Will we notice if we are stuck on a thumb drive for millennia and resume at the same instant we were stopped when we get re-loaded back into the computer?

• Like 2

So I'm Wreck-it-Ralph basically.

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I'll be the judge of that. I am very comfortable in this deep end. And maybe stick to the discussion and not personal insults that make you look small.

If you want me to insult you. I can. I've no problem doing it either. You shouldn't have derailed it with your religious nonsense to begin with. 

19 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Worship might be misplaced. Could be an alien teenager doing a history project.  Wonder what happens when she finishes, turns it in and goes on to something else?  Will we notice if we are stuck on a thumb drive for millennia and resume at the same instant we were stopped when we get re-loaded back into the computer?

The way I see this is that it's just another poor mans attempt at a science based religion. If it isn't "God" it's the programmer. And yeah, if this is all a digital universe we'll all end up in the delete file in the sky.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The way I see this is that it's just another poor mans attempt at a science based religion. If it isn't "God" it's the programmer. And yeah, if this is all a digital universe we'll all end up in the delete file in the sky.

Religion is a mindset and a code of conduct. This isn't. This is just an explanation. It doesn't demand anything from you. It has no scriptures. No churches will be built due to it. It has no dedicated priests, or a mission. In fact, most people who talk about it, make jokes about it. This is as far away from religion, as you can get, because it suggests that you don't even exist, so you obviously don't have a soul that needs saving.

Edited by sci-nerd

59 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

If you want me to insult you. I can. I've no problem doing it either. You shouldn't have derailed it with your religious nonsense to begin with. 

I can see that you don't really understand what Advaita Vedanta philosophy is even saying, so if your simple minded approach wants to call it religious nonsense then so noted and ignored.

21 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Religion is a mindset and a code of conduct. This isn't. This is just an explanation. It doesn't demand anything from you. It has no scriptures. No churches will be built due to it. It has no dedicated priests, or a mission. In fact, most people who talk about it, make jokes about it. This is as far away from religion, as you can get, because it suggests that you don't even exist, so you obviously don't have a soul that needs saving.

Never had one to begin with. It just annoys the hell out of me when people shoehorn their ideologies into something. Like tacking "Quantum" onto every esoteric concept know to man. The way I see it, this is similar. Someone, like they already did, used it to validate their beliefs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, papageorge1 said:

I can see that you don't really understand what Advaita Vedanta philosophy is even saying, so if your simple minded approach wants to call it religious nonsense then so noted and ignored.

I honestly don't care. You wrote it, that's enough for me to ignore it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

I honestly don't care. You wrote it, that's enough for me to ignore it.

But apparently it wasn't enough to stop you from starting this latest volley here. You can't control yourself because of insecurity and dislike. STICK TO THE TOPIC, Xeno!! The mods would appreciate it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It just annoys the hell out of me when people shoehorn their ideologies into something. Like tacking "Quantum" onto every esoteric concept know to man.

That annoys me too! Spirituality and quantum mechanics has nothing to do with each other.

The way I see it, this is similar.

I don't see how applying a logical explanation to QM has anything to do with spirituality or religion. It practically makes God and the soul impossible.

1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

That annoys me too! Spirituality and quantum mechanics has nothing to do with each other.

I don't see how applying a logical explanation to QM has anything to do with spirituality or religion. It practically makes God and the soul impossible.

Saying we living in a simulation opens the door to a simulation creator. Unless we created the simulation in order to stimulate our brains as we travel to some distant star, but that's pure scifi non-sense. You missed my point on QM, think of Chopra, that right there should be enough. If not think about all those who sell the idea that our thoughts influence the world around us. Obviously they don't because I'd be a millionaire right now. And the dragon in the kitchen is real. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Saying we living in a simulation opens the door to a simulation creator.

I would use the word "administrator". And so what? I'd prefer an admin over a deity any day.

Just now, sci-nerd said:

I would use the word "administrator". And so what? I'd prefer an admin over a deity any day.

What's the actually difference? The administrator does what god does. And this whole reality if it is a simulation is for its amusement. So all the good and all the bad stuff that happens is because that's what it wants. We are just programs running in a machine and we don't matter at all. We just end up being deleted when "life" is done. 

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

What's the actually difference? The administrator does what god does. And this whole reality if it is a simulation is for its amusement. So all the good and all the bad stuff that happens is because that's what it wants. We are just programs running in a machine and we don't matter at all. We just end up being deleted when "life" is done. 

At least we got to figure out what we are, and what this all is. The billions who lived before us, never got that chance. They lived and died in fear and ignorance.

You can even chalk up the existence of all organic life as being an AI program that's running simulations for its development. Going from a single celled organism with just enough "brains" to eat and reproduce with a "survival" program, to us. And we still have that basic programming. 

Just now, sci-nerd said:

At least we got to figure out what we are, and what this all is. The billions who lived before us, never got that chance. They lived and died in fear and ignorance.

That is if this theory is correct. 

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That is if this theory is correct. 

Of course. Like with all science, we can't be sure.

Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, but none absolutely certain.

- Richard Feynman

Edited by sci-nerd

3 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Interesting view and mental process to see a self stimulating universe. We will never know in our existence beside trusting science telling us that we are only an amalgam of atoms...

But in the case of a simulation, if you work in the way of the programmer, maybe you will be in the backup files of the simulation? We need a set of rules that we have to follow ! We need a fellowship and guidance ! etc.... 

But i'm just kidding, lol

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Haha 1

This is a place to harvest AI's. You are an AI. If you get harvested, you may be extracted and put into a body in the real universe. That way, you are literally immortal. Sorta like the 2010 version of Battlestar Galactica. You may lose a day if you die, but at least you'll be uploaded to your new body.

I've been listening to, reading and watching a lot of videos about fizzy cysts for a few weeks now and know less than i did when i started but there appears to be a big split that's growing at a greater rate than ever, modern greats like sir Roger Penrose say there is some woo and mystery and there's an ever growing band agreeing with him, i'll not even attempt to explain it but the 'wave function collapse' it appears our consciousness won't allow us to register it in our brain in affect it won't allow us to measure it, 'quantum entanglement' particles act differently when they're observed, if one particle rotates the other will rotate in the opposite direction even if they're taken 100 miles apart and it happens faster than the speed of light, it's nothing new Schrodinger and his cat showed how ridiculous it is.

20 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Yup, the evidence is hard to keep denying, but this is just a bad excuse to keep the universe fundamental to existence.

What evidence?

• Like 1