Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Proof Someone Was Killed by Meteorite

Waspie_Dwarf

We Have The First-Ever Credible Evidence of Someone Killed by a Falling Meteorite

Researchers have finally found credible records of someone being killed by a falling meteorite.

On 22 August 1888, according to multiple documents found in the General Directorate of State Archives of the Presidency of the Republic of Turkey, a falling meteorite hit and killed one man and paralysed another in what is now Sulaymaniyah in Iraq.

arrow3.gif  Read More: ScienceAlert

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Some archaeologists have the sneaking suspicion that this event took out a few people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaali_crater

Over human history there have probably been multiple meteorite impacts that have lead to deaths, but having a sneaking suspicion and credible evidence are very different things... ask a defence lawyer ;) .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Over human history there have probably been multiple meteorite impacts that have lead to deaths, but having a sneaking suspicion and credible evidence are very different things... ask a defence lawyer ;) .

I did 3 years hard time without credible evidence. :yes:

• Sad 2

Color me skeptical, but the lack of physical evidence makes me doubtful. A few written accounts from 132 years ago are not convincing enough to declare with confidence that this is the first record. To me it sounds like a lot of other extraordinary claims that were common at the time.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

Color me skeptical, but the lack of physical evidence makes me doubtful. A few written accounts from 132 years ago are not convincing enough to declare with confidence that this is the first record. To me it sounds like a lot of other extraordinary claims that were common at the time.

And what physical evidence do you expect from 1888?

If you are rejecting written evidence then you are rejecting most of the sum of human knowledge. 

Turkey, in 1888, was not some little backward state, it was part of the Ottoman Empire.

• Like 6

Just now, Waspie_Dwarf said:

And what physical evidence do you expect from 1888?

If you are rejecting written evidence then you are rejecting most of the sum of human knowledge. 

Turkey, in 1888, was not some little backward state, it was part of the Ottoman Empire.

Pieces of the meteorite or skeletal remains of the victim would be a start. An extraordinarily unlikely event like this requires extraordinary evidence to confirm. Considering how many fake meteor stories circulated around the US during the late 1800's, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened in Turkey.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

Pieces of the meteorite or skeletal remains of the victim would be a start. An extraordinarily unlikely event like this requires extraordinary evidence to confirm. Considering how many fake meteor stories circulated around the US during the late 1800's, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened in Turkey.

The Ottomans were pretty straightforward compared to the U.S. newspapers of the same time period and it happened in Iraq. 

I would like to see the actual dated documents though. The Ottomans used a distinct alphabet currently not in use, which very few can read. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

The Ottomans were pretty straightforward compared to the U.S. newspapers of the same time period and it happened in Iraq. 

I would like to see the actual dated documents though. The Ottomans used a distinct alphabet currently not in use, which very few can read. 

There are photos of the documents in the paper.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/maps.13469

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

I'm not a member and since prison, no longer have institution access. 

Just now, Piney said:

I'm not a member and since prison, no longer have institution access. 

I'll PM you a pdf.

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2020 at 6:56 PM, Carnoferox said:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/maps.13469

I know this isn't directly related to the topic, but I really hate it when papers are behind a  paywall. Entertainment I can understand...But educational materials should be freely available to anyone who wants to read them. This is the kind of thing, like public libraries, governments should just fund with all of our taxes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Seti42 said:

I know this isn't directly related to the topic, but I really hate it when papers are behind a  paywall. Entertainment I can understand...But educational materials should be freely available to anyone who wants to read them. This is the kind of thing, like public libraries, governments should just fund with all of our taxes.

Same here, I'm an advocate for open-access. Sci-hub is a good tool to use to crack the paywalls.

https://sci-hub.tw/https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/maps.13469

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

knowledge is powaaaa !! like money this days..

• Thanks 1