Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pentagon officially releases UFO footage

spartan max2

I don't really follow UFO stuff but saw this and figured UM would like it.

Video in link.

Washington(CNN)The Pentagon has officially released three short videos showing "unidentified aerial phenomena" that had previously been released by a private company.

The videos show what appear to be unidentified flying objects rapidly moving while recorded by infrared cameras. Two of the videos contain service members reacting in awe at how quickly the objects are moving. One voice speculates that it could be a drone.

The Navy previously acknowledged the veracity of the videos in September of last year. They are officially releasing them now, "in order to clear up any misconceptions by the public on whether or not the footage that has been circulating was real, or whether or not there is more to the videos," according to Pentagon spokesperson Sue Gough.

https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/04/27/politics/pentagon-ufo-videos/index.html?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASDAAQE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2020%2F04%2F27%2Fpolitics%2Fpentagon-ufo-videos%2Findex.html

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I don't really follow UFO stuff

You're a wiser person than me - it's a waste of time..UFO's by definition are simply things in the sky, that the observer can't, or doesn't (want to) identify.  Every night when I'm out walking, I'll see several.  Things that I can't be bothered to positively identify, that is.  Things that range from aircraft and choppers thru to small drones, sky lanterns, birds/contrails/whatever illuminated by overhead sunlight, weather balloons, etc.  I don't usually have any trouble identifying planets and stars and satellites (Google 'Heavens Above').....

None of them show non-terrestrial behaviour.  Neither those I've seen with my own eyes, or the lamentably crappy footage that is oft presented by wide-eyed folks new to the sky...  It's also kinda funny that people keep using the term UFO wrongly, and attributing non-terrestrial behaviour to them, and yet NOT ONCE has such behaviour been recorded.... 

As stated above, the footage in question does not show anything unusual.  Quite the contrary - the imagery shows aircraft and either a bird or some other sort of windborne object like a weather- or party- balloon.  The appearance and apparent motion are absolutely normal for such items when recorded on a FLIR system, and the Defence force had nothing to lose by verifying that the footage is real.  I don't think anyone with half a brain who's looked at it, has suggested it is faked.

It's not faked, and also not interesting, unless you are new to FLIR systems with gymbal tracking...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Appreciate your sharing, but this is very old stuff.

*snip*

This is actually new in that the Pentagon had confirmed the footage was authentic previously, but only now officially released it and declassified it. 

From https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/space/pentagon-officially-release-us-navy-video-of-three-ufo-incidents-to-clear-up-any-misconceptions/news-story/352bb4dde1b2d35a15b4c9e8b84b809a(and probably in OP links too):

“After a thorough review, the department has determined that the authorised release of these unclassified videos does not reveal any sensitive capabilities or systems, and does not impinge on any subsequent investigations of military air space incursions by unidentified aerial phenomena,” the Department of Defense said in a statement announcing the release.

“The aerial phenomena observed in the videos remain characterised as “unidentified”,” the department said.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Appreciate your sharing, but this is very old stuff. It's been known as the "tic tac UFO" and the video from the original Navy fighter jets as well as the pilot's commentary is over 5 years old. Most military insiders as well as Raytheon technicians...Raytheon was the manufacturer and military contractor who furnished the radar system...have since opined that the tic tac were not even real flying aircraft, but merely glitches in the system, which was brand new at the time. 

A second event after the Nimitz aviators "saw" the first sightings occurred with a completely different crew months later, which not so coincidentally was using the same new Raytheon AESA "scanned array" system. These discoveries remove any mystery as to why our Pentagon freely released this footage for public consumption. 

Hope this helps. 

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/28231/multiple-f-a-18-pilots-disclose-recent-ufos-encounters-new-radar-tech-key-in-detection

This is not technically an old story, it is brand new. 
The UFO story and footage are indeed old footage, as is the Pentagon confirmation the footage is legit, but the actual "new" part is that the Pentagon has now declassified and released the original recordings themselves rather than merely confirm the leaked footage is real. 
Their statement (made only yesterday) was to show they are releasing the footage themselves to prove the leaked footage is genuine and that it had not been altered in any way, or that any frames were cut out. 

While the footage itself is nothing new, neither is the confirmation either, it is a brand new news story that shows the Pentagon and DOD is actively trying to encourage the public to believe the footage is real. The question is for what purpose? Why would they want to show the original tapes to stop any confusion or conspiracy theories circulating over the leaked footage? In normal times they would dismiss it, hide it and allow fake conspiracies to water down the legitimacy of what was captured, but with this they originally dismissed it and hid it, but now are determined to avoid conspiracies ruining the public perception that something unusual and unexplained occurred. 

If it were merely down to a radar glitch as you showed a report, then why deliberately try to avoid any confusion or problems regarding the legitimacy of the footage, and then lie about it by classifying it as unexplained still? It would make more sense to release the footage and explain that it was merely technical problems with the radar system in early testing and that it is now resolved? 
This case gets more curious as time goes on. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There was no explanation of a "technical glitch" in the DOD report. The report says the objects were still unidenified. The pilot who came forward said they made visual contact of the objects, so no, it was no technical glitch. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The "leak" never would have happened had the Navy not wanted it to happen. Now, imagine what hasn't been "leaked"? I have no doubt they allowed the leak to test the waters. What next, indeed?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, SpaceBumZaphod said:

There was no explanation of a "technical glitch" in the DOD report. The report says the objects were still unidenified. The pilot who came forward said theybmaded visual contact of the objects, so no, it was no technical glitch. 

Due to classification criteria it would be unlikely that technical issues with a new system would be included as part of the report.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

UFO's by definition are simply things in the sky, that the observer can't, or doesn't (want to) identify.

Kinda makes you wonder if the Government is telling the truth after all.  I mean, to say that there are no such thing as UFOs is to say "We know exactly what they are".

Of course they aren't telling the truth! Look at the NSA reading room! They have been investigating the CIAs coverups for a long time, while you can see russia was very open about incidences such as the pilot that was killed by one.

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

Of course they aren't telling the truth! Look at the NSA reading room! They have been investigating the CIAs coverups for a long time, while you can see russia was very open about incidences such as the pilot that was killed by one.

Pilot killed by one? Can you elaborate please? 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 3:27 AM, spartan max2 said:

Pentagon has officially released

The US NAVY has already <officially> released this footage. So what has the Pentagon got to do with it?

There's no proof that it's <official> at all.. We're just told it is by ufo enthusiasts in the hope of bubbling up believers fantasy juices for some form of gain when this is probably nothing more than tracking system test footage.

To start with- how can anyone be sure it's the original audio? If the audio is legit (when playing back the full version) you can bend what they are saying to fit strangeness, if that's what you want.

But IMO they're doing nothing more than referring to how well the system tracks...

From what I understand there's a few documentaries about this out soon & no doubt a TV show or film one day.

So the BS's done it's job as always= have fun, & may the fantasy juices keep bubbling :sleepy:

Edited by Dejarma
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here is an explanation:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's fascinating (ok, not really) how those who think this is some kind of smokin' gun, are very, very shy about specifics.

1. Something in the videos indicates non-terrestrial origin?
Then be specific, which video, what time stamp, and what logic or analysis did you apply to determine your claim?

2. Something in the videos indicates non-terrestrial maneuvers or velocity?
Then be specific, which video, what time stamp, and what logic or analysis did you apply to determine your claim?

Both here and at many other forums (I'd recommend metabunk, where the guy who did that video above hangs out), the content of these videos has been analysed in comprehensive detail.  So, if you genuinely think that either of the two items above is worthy of further discussion, then for chrissake grow some cojones and be specific.

Don't come here with lameass generalisations about how you don't trust the ebil gubmint, or that the things *must* be alienz, .  Instead...

View (and think about) the video linked above - here it is again:

.. then, if you feel unsatisfied ..  Be specific.  Cite the videos/timings.  Explain your logic.

If you are unwilling to do that, and won't properly debate the actual video content, then just face up to facts - you do not know enough about this type of tracking system, and are happy to add anything that you think fits into your worldview even if it has absolutely no merit whatsoever...

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2

Let's see...

Government says videos are real.

Says objects were real.

Says objects are unidentified. 

Notes that in this thread no one said anything about aliens, or other worlds. Must be in the other threads?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Let's see...

Says objects were real.

Says objects are unidentified. 

Notes that in this thread no one said anything about aliens, or other worlds. Must be in the other threads?

Exactly.

Third post in this thread goes on to talk about how they have never seen anything that would be considered a UFO. As if that has anything to do with the fact that the pentagon just confirmed this footage to be not only real, but unidentified craft. Far as I can tell, they are saying the video's were real, including the pilots commentary as he was seeing it in live time. I guess when you have spend hours on end telling people they are dumb for believing in the possibility of UFO's you by default have to reject anything, from any source that possibly says otherwise.

Its funny too, because I have heard several times in these threads that when people see something they should be calling authorities, to try to confirm what they saw. Yet here we have the damn pentagon confirming that this is indeed a mystery, and still complete denial. Whatever...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Let's see...

yeah let's... Go on the US Navy website & see if you can find any reference to the footage in question 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

It's fascinating (ok, not really) how those who think this is some kind of smokin' gun, are very, very shy about specifics.

1. Something in the videos indicates non-terrestrial origin?

2. Something in the videos indicates non-terrestrial maneuvers or velocity?

Both here and at many other forums (I'd recommend metabunk, where the guy who did that video above hangs out), the content of these videos has been analysed in comprehensive detail.  So, if you genuinely think that either of the two items above is worthy of further discussion, then for chrissake grow some cojones and be specific.

Don't come here with lameass generalisations about how you don't trust the ebil gubmint, or that the things *must* be alienz, .  Instead...

View (and think about) the video linked above - here it is again:

.. then, if you feel unsatisfied ..  Be specific.  Cite the videos/timings.  Explain your logic.

If you are unwilling to do that, and won't properly debate the actual video content, then just face up to facts - you do not know enough about this type of tracking system, and are happy to add anything that you think fits into your worldview even if it has absolutely no merit whatsoever...

That is nothing short of outright hilarious, if not extremely hypocritical. You are really gonna have us believe this youtuber knows more about this situation then both the US Navy, and the pentagon? Both of whom say this so far is unexplainable. I cant count how many times you have outright refused to even look at a video because it was from youtube. Guess that only counts when the video doesn't support your world view.

Edited by preacherman76
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

yeah let's... Go on the US Navy website & see if you can find any reference to the footage in question 

MMM, what? The freakin pentagon just confirmed the footage was real, and a mystery. No need to go to the Navy website.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Yet here we have the damn pentagon confirming that this is indeed a mystery, and still complete denial. Whatever...

show me where the pentagon have confirmed this, ya know <OFFICIALLY> 

when I use the word officially I don't mean you're told this by someone else, ya know <SOMEONE UNOFFICIAL> like a ufo magazine/ ufo news article/ website etc.... I can't find anything, can you?

If you manage to find something then I'll, with pleasure, stand corrected;)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

when I use the word officially I don't mean you're told this by someone else, ya know <SOMEONE UNOFFICIAL> like a ufo magazine/ ufo news article/ website etc.... I can't find anything, can you?

It's in the OP.

https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/04/27/politics/pentagon-ufo-videos/index.html?usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASDAAQE%3D&amp_js_v=0.1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2020%2F04%2F27%2Fpolitics%2Fpentagon-ufo-videos%2Findex.html

6 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

It's reported by every media outlet dude lol.

But anyways here you go:

To the library.

https://www.navair.navy.mil/foia/documents

The link can be find easily from the Forbes link

https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.forbes.com/sites/jackbrewster/2020/04/27/heres-why-the-pentagon-officially-released-ufo-video-footage/amp/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15882559357549&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbes.com%2Fsites%2Fjackbrewster%2F2020%2F04%2F27%2Fheres-why-the-pentagon-officially-released-ufo-video-footage%2F

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

It's in the OP.

yeah, a private company first put them out for all to see, not any of the authorities.... where did they get the footage from & how?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

I'm waiting for that bolded part :innocent: lol (I hope you take this in the light hearted way I intended).

Statement from the DOD ( department of defense commonly referred to as the Pentagon)

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Releases/Release/Article/2165713/statement-by-the-department-of-defense-on-the-release-of-historical-navy-videos/

Video library

https://www.navair.navy.mil/foia/documents

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm waiting for that bolded part :innocent: lol (I hope you take this in the light hearted way I intended).

yep I stand corrected, it bothers me not, just want to get to the truth but it means nothing.. This whole subject started back in 2017 with the big believer headline:

'us navy release footage of ufo' or words to that effect. The Navy didn't release it.. That's the real point here.

Because of the hype it's caused among the easily lead they felt a need comment on it.

They probably have thousands of hours of test footage like this of which anyone can sit there & pick out little dots & blobs that can not be identified... No aliens though many will say: 'I never said it's aliens or where did I say it could be aliens'- if this is how you really feel then why the fekin interest in it!?

The whole thing's ridiculous IMO & typical of the usual <all blown out of proprtion> boring crap one has to suffer regularly regarding this subject- enjoy the fantasy, & why not, who says you can't:sleepy:

• Like 1