Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

Gargantuan hail may have smashed world record

Still Waters

A supercell thunderstorm pelted a city center in Argentina a few years ago with hailstones so large scientists suggested a new category to describe them -- gargantuan hail.

Researchers investigating the 2018 storm found one hailstone likely measured between 7.4 and 9.3 inches across, potentially setting a new world record. The current record belongs to a hailstone that measured 8 inches across, or about the size of a volleyball, that fell near Vivian, South Dakota.

https://phys.org/news/2020-04-gargantuan-hail-argentina-world.html

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10.1175/BAMS-D-19-0012.1

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Iilaa'mpuul'xem

I bet they leave a mark... 

• Like 4

freetoroam

Many years ago a friend had gone caravaning in Spain. When he got back and I asked him how it went, he said go have a look at the camper.

It was dented all down the side on on the roof as if it had been stoned.

They got caught in a really bad hail storm in Spain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Jon the frog
Posted (edited)

They lost livestock in Spain not long ago because of hail storms. These thing can hurt pretty bad !

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Sad 1

DirtyDocMartens

I was in a tornado in Dallas with hail that blew out the windows of our car and actually dented the frame above the door. We weren�t sure we were going to make it!

• Like 1

Hankenhunter

My dad rescued a biker in Calgary caught in a big hail storm. Poor b***** was huddled on the side of the highway. We opened the van side door and practically yanked him in the van. His leathers helped a bit, but he was pretty bruised up. We ended up putting his ride in the van and took him to the hospital. Pretty well everyone on that stretch of highway had to get new windshields. I was pretty young back then and remember the deafening sound of the hail hitting our uninsulated van roof. Now I know what a drum must feel like. Lol

• Like 2

tmcom

There was another recorded by a monk in the dark ages, who described cannon ball sized ones, destroying everything in its path, as well as a few people.

In England.

:o

• Like 1