Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Angela Merkel to impose new tax

itsnotoutthere

Germany will seek to impose a financial transactions tax, minimum tax rates and an EU-wide healthcare system on member nations during its upcoming six-month presidency of the bloc.

The revolving presidency of the Council of the European Union allows individual countries to set the EU’s agenda during the six months of their stint.

German chancellor Angela Merkel said today her country’s presidency, which begins in July, will be “clearly dominated by the issue of combating the pandemic and its consequences”.

She said this would include promoting a European health care system for all member states, a financial transaction tax, minimum tax rates and a joint carbon emissions trading scheme for planes and ships.

Several think tanks told City A.M. that the UK was fortunate to have avoided Germany’s policy agenda by leaving the EU in January.

Head of business at the Centre for Policy Studies Nick King said it was “a relief for UK businesses that they won’t apply here”.

https://www.cityam.com/angela-merkel-seeks-to-impose-financial-transactions-tax-on-eu-countries/

So this is the direction of travel when Germany gain total control of the EU. Next project....EU army.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The French and Germans have been very keen on this idea for years, at the time about 80% of all revenue would have come from London financial institutions. I can't see that being possible now. :D

It will be interesting to see what Italy has to say about this, the last thing their banks want is added costs to doing business.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2011/nov/18/tobin-tax-city-london-john-major

• Like 6

I would have thought that with the hit european countries and businesses have taken because of coronavirus this is the last thing any of them would  have wanted or needed.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The tread title is nonsense because its not Merkel "to impose a new tax".

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, toast said:

"The revolving presidency of the Council of the European Union allows individual countries to set the EU’s agenda during the six months of their stint."

you're correct.......it's Germany.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, itsnotoutthere said:

"The revolving presidency of the Council of the European Union allows individual countries to set the EU’s agenda during the six months of their stint."

you're correct.......it's Germany.

Do you know what agenda means?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, toast said:

Do you know what agenda means?

Your mean as in 'set the agenda' ?

• Like 2

I wonder what year the EU will officially declare itself one nation.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I wonder what year the EU will officially declare itself one nation.

When they have been annexed by China :lol:

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

The French and Germans have been very keen on this idea for years, at the time about 80% of all revenue would have come from London financial institutions. I can't see that being possible now. :D

It will be interesting to see what Italy has to say about this, the last thing their banks want is added costs to doing business.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2011/nov/18/tobin-tax-city-london-john-major

Yep, we vetoed it under Tony Blair.

But as we are out if it works for them good luck to them!

10 hours ago, OverSword said:

When they have been annexed by China :lol:

Says the guy with Trump in the White House. 

The EU should and will strengthen it's relations with China, keeping the US bad example in mind. Since it's always the most important to know what not to do... thank you, I guess :P   

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Says the guy with Trump in the White House. 

The EU should and will strengthen it's relations with China, keeping the US bad example in mind. Since it's always the most important to know what not to do... thank you, I guess :P   

What the EU and every other civilized nation on the planet should do is boycott such a repressive human rights violator.  We won't because then our mobile phones will triple in price.  But regardless, You're welcome B)

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, OverSword said:

What the EU and every other civilized nation on the planet should do is boycott such a repressive human rights violator.  We won't because then our mobile phones will triple in price.  But regardless, You're welcome B)

But then we'd have to boycott you too. (Not just for keeping brown children in cages, but for denying health care to your citizens etc.)

It wouldn't even cost us anything, in fact, it would make prices of literally everything far more fair. 

Anyway, this is slightly off topic. The topic is English fear of functioning EU, that will impose horrors on its populations, such as health care accessible in all member states (we've already got urgency covered), environmental protection, taxing the leeches, and so forth and so much more horrible :D 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

But then we'd have to boycott you too.

LOL!  Do it! :rofl:

edit:  But seriously check out the thread I just started.  Saw it a couple of weeks ago it's really interesting.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

We don't have to. Your clotheless emperor is doing everything inhumanely possible to make you irrelevant anywhere in every sense. 

And it's still off topic, except that he shares the platform and the allies with his UK counterparts. 

So, out of morbid curiosity, what makes you scared of the EU?   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

So, out of morbid curiosity, what makes you scared of the EU?   

Do I seem anti-EU?  The EU as an entity isn't really on my list of things I pay much attention to.  The only opinion I've ever had toward it was concerning brexit in which I couldn't understand leftist politicians in England wanting to ignore the will of their voters concerning membership which isn't really about the EU at all but about the British Parliament 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, toast said:

And this...

A financial transaction tax has been on the EU agenda for a while,” she said.

Without the tax applying to transactions in the City of London  it is unclear how much revenue such a tax would raise in the EU, especially if it encourages more business to move out of the EU, which would clearly be seriously counterproductive to any post-coronavirus recovery.”

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, OverSword said:

edit:  But seriously check out the thread I just started.  Saw it a couple of weeks ago it's really interesting.

The EU isn't going to boycott the US, its one of its major trading partners.

Helena has a deep hatred of Trump and an unhealthy paranoia about Russia. Some do I suppose, but thankfully she doesnt represent a significant amount of Europeans. US and EU trade will continue.

Angela Merkel originally wanted a financial transactions tax but us Brits vetoed it because it would have hit our economy hard with our main sector being banking and financial services. Now we have left the EU its their choice if they wish to pursue this but if they are expecting a free trade agreement with the UK then we wont tolerate it. We would have to tax German cars, holidays to the Mediterranean, and beer from the lowlands in retaliation.

Now is a good time for us to force China to meet international standards for food markets, and if they dont then there is talk here in the UK of taking our factories from the Chinese mainland and moving them to India instead.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Do I seem anti-EU?  The EU as an entity isn't really on my list of things I pay much attention to.  The only opinion I've ever had toward it was concerning brexit in which I couldn't understand leftist politicians in England wanting to ignore the will of their voters concerning membership which isn't really about the EU at all but about the British Parliament 

Obviously, I am under that impression. Not that it isn't your right, or that there's no chance your opinion might be more grounded in sanity than mine. 

It's not the matter of left or right, animosity towards Europe is the matter of English chauvinism (I was informed that natural English speakers cannot comprehend the original meaning of the word chauvinism, so let me translate: jingoism). 

Now, the animosity towards Europe is not the reason behind every single Brexiter stance - some people truly see an isolated country competing with neighbours as more wise choice in 21st century. I'm fine with that, though my opinion is directly the opposite. I'm not fine with chronic need to make people feel in danger of the EU. Because it's simply ridiculous.  

Edited by Helen of Annoy
By the way, note the same vocabulary and misconceptions among Trumpers and Brexiters.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Obviously, I am under that impression.

I don't know why you would be I don't believe I have ever posted one negative thing about the EU or it's policies.  Please note that even in my joke I did not say the EU would join China, I said that China would annex the EU.  But as pointed out, it was a joke.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I don't know why you would be I don't believe I have ever posted one negative thing about the EU or it's policies.  Please note that even in my joke I did not say the EU would join China, I said that China would annex the EU.  But as pointed out, it was a joke.

China already owns 10% of EU ports. Its strategy around the world is to built ports and facilities, then when the host country cannot pay for them it claims what it built for them as its own. Its how it gets a foothold everywhere. The EU needs to unpick its dependence on China and get used to making everything itself again.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I know it was a joke, it's just that I forgot to laugh :D 

Anyway, thank you for your patience and kindness. (Seriously.) 

Now I'll go do something menacingly stupid, it's what Europeans do, on Fridays especially. (Humorously.) 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Obviously, I am under that impression. Not that it isn't your right, or that there's no chance your opinion might be more grounded in sanity than mine. 

It's not the matter of left or right, animosity towards Europe is the matter of English chauvinism (I was informed that natural English speakers cannot comprehend the original meaning of the word chauvinism, so let me translate: jingoism). 

Now, the animosity towards Europe is not the reason behind every single Brexiter stance - some people truly see an isolated country competing with neighbours as more wise choice in 21st century. I'm fine with that, though my opinion is directly the opposite. I'm not fine with chronic need to make people feel in danger of the EU. Because it's simply ridiculous.  

While the definition you use of chauvinism is actually in the dictionary most people here dont use it in their daily lives to describe nationalism or patriotism. Instead we use chauvinism to describe over masculine behaviour which is demeaning towards women.

Dictionaries give the Queens English, where as the people having different uses for many of its words. Jingoism is love of ones people and country, to the point where people believe they are superbly fantastic.

Edited by Cookie Monster
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Yep, we vetoed it under Tony Blair.

But as we are out if it works for them good luck to them!

I think any problems for UK going forward will be caused by agreeing to a level playing field. If the UK ends up observing some type of level playing field mechanism, enforced by ECJ, then Brussels could try and force new tax rules onto the UK via this route.

Their argument will be that UK banks, not implementing new tax, will be at a trading advantage and this would not be allowed under a level playing field system. This would result in fines imposed on UK equivalent to the tax.

As long as Brussels gets the money the mechanism, new tax or fine, involved would not matter. 

This is why its essential for there to be no level playing field with EU.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I think any problems for UK going forward will be caused by agreeing to a level playing field. If the UK ends up observing some type of level playing field mechanism, enforced by ECJ, then Brussels could try and force new tax rules onto the UK via this route.

Their argument will be that UK banks, not implementing new tax, will be at a trading advantage and this would not be allowed under a level playing field system. This would result in fines imposed on UK equivalent to the tax.

As long as Brussels gets the money the mechanism, new tax or fine, involved would not matter. 

This is why its essential for there to be no level playing field with EU.  

We wont, we are only after a free trade agreement and are rejecting all the conditions the EU is trying to impose on us.

We are not a vassal of the EU.

• Like 4