Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What if....

White Crane Feather

What would you do if you knew people’s minds so well that it was becoming a problem? It doesn't have to be because of psychic abilities. It could be because you simply understood the human mind and it’s quirks so well, that you could read the inner machinations of everyone around you as if it were a language that only you understood. Like a mind reader that can’t turn it off. We have a lot of stories and movies that have explored this concept, but what if it were real, and it were you? Now keep in mind that it’s not actual mind reading, so you couldn’t necessarily know someone’s exact plans or be able to take advantage of knowing actual thoughts, and it was much bigger than thought. Like you understood the evolutionary origins of all their behaviors, why they did things, and how it formulated in their minds. The complexities of personality and ego were open to you. Could you handle it if it were a constant barrage of information? What if it affected your health? How would you handle knowing everyone’s insincerities, and fundamental motivations? Even the people you love. What would you do with the information? Really?  

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1

Greetings, WCF.

I hope Corona Armageddon finds you and yours well.

I was confused why the thread is in the "Psychic Abilities" rubric, if " It doesn't have to be because of psychic abilities." Philosophy and Psychology maybe?

Anyway, I imagine Uncle Carl must have had something like the problem you describe. It is interesting that Jung spent such a great deal of time alone. That isn't super surprising for a prolific writer ... but then, maybe he decided to become a prolific writer in order to isolate himself from large gatherings of people. Of course much of his cilinical practice would be one other person at a time (but not early in his career - he was an asylum doctor when he started out).

It's also interesting that although he was a dog owner (another socially acceptable occasion to isolate from human company, go off walking with the dogs), he never that I've read showed much insight into dog cognition or behavior. (On the contrary, I've winced at the opaqueness of some of what he wrote about dogs). If he had some intuition about minds, either it didn't extend beyond humans, or he could "shut it off" around non-humans, or ... something.

Regarding,

46 minutes ago, White Crane Feather said:

Now keep in mind that it’s not actual mind reading, so you couldn’t necessarily know someone’s exact plans or be able to take advantage of knowing actual thoughts, and it was much bigger than thought.

Well yes, but then Jung worked with the person involved (who, ironically, had deficits in their own self-knowledge as we all do) and made lemonade from the lemons he had. He worked with analysands to make something better as opposed to "taking advantage" of his insight into their minds.

I'd like to think that if I had that kind of insight (that kind of "problem") then I might behave similarly, be helpful rather than exploitative. At least occasionally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, White Crane Feather said:

Now keep in mind that it’s not actual mind reading, so you couldn’t necessarily know someone’s exact plans or be able to take advantage of knowing actual thoughts, and it was much bigger than thought. Like you understood the evolutionary origins of all their behaviors, why they did things, and how it formulated in their minds. The complexities of personality and ego were open to you. Could you handle it if it were a constant barrage of information? What if it affected your health? How would you handle knowing everyone’s insincerities, and fundamental motivations? Even the people you love. What would you do with the information? Really?  

Hi,

From my point of view, if you study the channeled Kryon information, you would know why people do everything. The only requirement for understaning this information is that you have unconditional love for everyone.

Under those circumstances you would not have any health issues because you respected every person's journey and choices in life.

John

1 hour ago, White Crane Feather said:

Could you handle it if it were a constant barrage of information? What if it affected your health? How would you handle knowing everyone’s insincerities, and fundamental motivations? Even the people you love. What would you do with the information? Really?  

I think the key point is a person with this "ability" who had no way to mute it and they were constantly being assaulted by information, it could cause severe depression or even madness.  OTOH... I think even though it would be a burden it could also create a level of empathy unlike anyone ever experienced.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Is this about sensory overload or something? 

I assumed the OP is wondering aloud about just how much a person could embrace of the essence of other humans.  The idea of having all the bandwidth you need but an inability to modulate and or process the incoming waves.  Maybe it's just me but I find the idea of such a connection with another mind, let alone MULTIPLE other minds, to be terrifying.

6 hours ago, eight bits said:

Greetings, WCF.

I hope Corona Armageddon finds you and yours well.

I was confused why the thread is in the "Psychic Abilities" rubric, if " It doesn't have to be because of psychic abilities." Philosophy and Psychology maybe?

Anyway, I imagine Uncle Carl must have had something like the problem you describe. It is interesting that Jung spent such a great deal of time alone. That isn't super surprising for a prolific writer ... but then, maybe he decided to become a prolific writer in order to isolate himself from large gatherings of people. Of course much of his cilinical practice would be one other person at a time (but not early in his career - he was an asylum doctor when he started out).

It's also interesting that although he was a dog owner (another socially acceptable occasion to isolate from human company, go off walking with the dogs), he never that I've read showed much insight into dog cognition or behavior. (On the contrary, I've winced at the opaqueness of some of what he wrote about dogs). If he had some intuition about minds, either it didn't extend beyond humans, or he could "shut it off" around non-humans, or ... something.

Regarding,

Well yes, but then Jung worked with the person involved (who, ironically, had deficits in their own self-knowledge as we all do) and made lemonade from the lemons he had. He worked with analysands to make something better as opposed to "taking advantage" of his insight into their minds.

I'd like to think that if I had that kind of insight (that kind of "problem") then I might behave similarly, be helpful rather than exploitative. At least occasionally.

Thanks eight. I put it in psychic abilities because I didn’t want to leave that out as a source of information. I didn’t consider Jung for some reason. Thanks for that. I’ll do some more reading. 

• Like 2

I understand exactly what you mean, though not to the extent you mentioned here. So many times I've been able to see right through people I know. That's only for people I know though. This is happening to you even with people you don't know?

• Like 1

Well from the looks of it there is no need for me to mention mirror neurons, the subconscious, and the resulting intuition is there.

4 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I understand exactly what you mean, though not to the extent you mentioned here. So many times I've been able to see right through people I know. That's only for people I know though. This is happening to you even with people you don't know?

All the time, but not really to the extent of what I’m asking about. It’s not waves of unmanageable information. As you know, I do have coping mechanisms when I leave for the wilderness or find solitude in nature. I’d say my own experience level is about half that. Sometimes overwhelming... I mean who wants to know your new friend only wants to be around you because of your connections or that your brother in law has a crush on your wife and she him. All things that stay hidden in normal circumstances, so they can’t be taking as bad because it’s just humanity. I’m exploring doing some writing and the character I’m thinking about is a human savant. So I’m trying to see how it would be if what I experience were more total and twice as powerful. 

10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Well from the looks of it there is no need for me to mention mirror neurons, the subconscious, and the resulting intuition is there.

I’m aware of all that Xeno. Thank you.

Just now, White Crane Feather said:

I’m aware of all that Xeno. Thank you.

So what are you really wanting? A discussion about sensory overload, schizophrenia, what exactly?

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

So what are you really wanting? A discussion about sensory overload, schizophrenia, what exactly?

The question is in the OP.

So being on a god level of knowledge, I'd be bored. 

We are already under a barrage of information from all our senses. This information is filtered. And our subconscious processes 95% of it, mostly due to how slow our conscious processing power it.

58 minutes ago, White Crane Feather said:

All the time, but not really to the extent of what I’m asking about. It’s not waves of unmanageable information. As you know, I do have coping mechanisms when I leave for the wilderness or find solitude in nature. I’d say my own experience level is about half that. Sometimes overwhelming... I mean who wants to know your new friend only wants to be around you because of your connections or that your brother in law has a crush on your wife and she him. All things that stay hidden in normal circumstances, so they can’t be taking as bad because it’s just humanity. I’m exploring doing some writing and the character I’m thinking about is a human savant. So I’m trying to see how it would be if what I experience were more total and twice as powerful. 

Well that was gonna be my next question, why has it become a problem? You answered that for me well enough. I can certainly see how that could become a problem.

54 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So being on a god level of knowledge, I'd be bored. 

We are already under a barrage of information from all our senses. This information is filtered. And our subconscious processes 95% of it, mostly due to how slow our conscious processing power it.

Bored? I don't think you thought this through Xen. Just imagine the games you could play with people if you knew their every thought? lol :lol:

2 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Bored? I don't think you thought this through Xen. Just imagine the games you could play with people if you knew their every thought? lol :lol:

Then how fast would boredom hit? Knowing everything, literally everything. Realizing that people will have the same or similar thoughts. Never having to guess. No surprises. It would be the ultimate form of boredom. 

On paper having god level power seems great, but once you've done everything or know everything, there is nothing. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Then how fast would boredom hit? Knowing everything, literally everything. Realizing that people will have the same or similar thoughts. Never having to guess. No surprises. It would be the ultimate form of boredom. 

On paper having god level power seems great, but once you've done everything or know everything, there is nothing

Yeah that's probably true. It would be a hell of a ride though before you had done everything. Guess you'd have to pick up a hobby or something.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 8:46 AM, White Crane Feather said:

What would you do if you knew people’s minds so well that it was becoming a problem? It doesn't have to be because of psychic abilities. It could be because you simply understood the human mind and it’s quirks so well, that you could read the inner machinations of everyone around you as if it were a language that only you understood. Like a mind reader that can’t turn it off. We have a lot of stories and movies that have explored this concept, but what if it were real, and it were you? Now keep in mind that it’s not actual mind reading, so you couldn’t necessarily know someone’s exact plans or be able to take advantage of knowing actual thoughts, and it was much bigger than thought. Like you understood the evolutionary origins of all their behaviors, why they did things, and how it formulated in their minds. The complexities of personality and ego were open to you. Could you handle it if it were a constant barrage of information? What if it affected your health? How would you handle knowing everyone’s insincerities, and fundamental motivations? Even the people you love. What would you do with the information? Really?  

Why would this ability necessarily become a problem?  Would it, as you seem to suggest, necessarily result in a constant and unmanageable barrage of information?  For example, when I walk out the front door of my house, the outdoor environment is throwing  a barrage of information at me, yet I have developed the ability, as all healthy children surely do as they grow up and become adults, of "filtering" the barrage of information such that I only pick out the information relevant to me at the time.  So, I might not notice the car whizzing past if I am walking along the pavement, but will notice it if I am wanting to cross the road.  Perhaps the same sort of thing might happen with the barrage of information you are talking about e.g. one would eventually learn to "filter" the relevant from the irrelevant information.

However, as you say,, this ability you describe does allow access to very personal information with respect to people.  I think that I would find it fascinating to understand people to such an extent.  It would make communication with people far richer and more rewarding.  My first thought is that perhaps this information could therefore be used to help people, in much the same way as psychologists want to help people (only they can't because they don't know how the mind works). 

• Like 1