Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has anyone seen a Wendigo? MY STORY:

AmberNetworking

I live in Ohio. In 2018 of February or March, I was driving home from Honda in East Liberty, Ohio.

I turned on the road to take me home, it was 3:30am - 4 am, really cold & dark out, hardly  any other cars, and I turned on OH - 508 driving past South Union Menoite Church, and right down the road at night I saw what I believe is a Wendigo crossing the road!! I just found out what matched the description of what I saw  online in photo illustrations yesterday & I can't believe more people saw it, thank God I'm not the only one.

It was shaking, going slow, I thought it was a deer that got hit by a car and injured, but what made this extremely different was that even before I stopped my car at a distance, I noticed the rest of the body except the top of back, looked like bare white human skin! I stopped and saw it go in a hurry but injured? maybe into the field! Here's what's even more creepy: i thought from a distance before I stopped it was a deer standing up, wobbling, but this thing had legs it was on all four dragging it's legs across the road but was as tall as a deer on all fours. 

ITS BACK had black mangled fur!! It's back was much wider and bigger than a deer!! It had antler things, but they were much longer and thicker looking, not a lot of points like a deer would have (my dad is a hunter this is how I know that) & it's antlers points were going in weird directions not just straight up like a deer. 

This thing is REAL, and it looks like what people call a Wendigo. I was going to back the car up & take a picture, but I was TERRIFIED and actually I went 70 mph across the railroad tracks and freaked out the whole drive home, in disbelief. I've told my husband, but never talked about ton anyone. 

Screenshot_20200430-140354~2.png

Edited by AmberNetworking
  • Like 2

This is as close as I can find to what I saw in person. This is just an illustration, but trust me the real thing is absolutely terrifying. 

See how there is fur on back? I saw that but no where else! (And the back was much higher and wider than in this photo!!) The rest of body looked like white human skin. The face I can't remember very well, but I didn't know that it looked like the deer shape type of head but it was white skin, not a skull, but this thing looked like it's been starving because I remember the skinny ribs and body, but there was skin on it, not bare bone. 

Screenshot-20200430-143031-3.png

I posted in the Ghost section here today, I figured I might as well share this with people. I was scared to say anything because I figured if I did, maybe something bad will happen like how it's said government hides things, I was scared ton reveal anything and "know to much".

There are Ohio Caverns nearby, I think I read an article online about spotting of them in Minnesota? I just thought I'd share.

I don't know much about it.

I actually did drive back there a couple months ago to see if I saw anything weird again, I didn't, but a black car pulled over on the road on the side near that spot where I was going to stop and look for evidence or something. The fact a car pulled over on the side of the road freaked me out, like is that spot being watched?? It's really weird stuff. I'm scared to talk about it but there I finally did. 

• Like 1

See there are Caverns near by, there is "Mad River Mountain", not an actually mountain, Ohio is usually just flat land, a lot of cornfields. 

I know it's weird again, but maybe this info can help someone not feel alone or help them someday.

Screenshot-20200430-135937-3.png

1 hour ago, AmberNetworking said:

This thing is REAL, and it looks like what people call a Wendigo. I was going to back the car up & take a picture, but I was TERRIFIED

From what I've read, going back to snap a selfie with a wendigo is a bad idea.

They eat anyone who strays into their territory.  (A bit like Madonna)

• Haha 5

If a Chupacabra is a dog with mange, maybe a Wendigo is a deer with mange?

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AmberNetworking said:

This is as close as I can find to what I saw in person. This is just an illustration, but trust me the real thing is absolutely terrifying. 

See how there is fur on back? I saw that but no where else! (And the back was much higher and wider than in this photo!!) The rest of body looked like white human skin. The face I can't remember very well, but I didn't know that it looked like the deer shape type of head but it was white skin, not a skull, but this thing looked like it's been starving because I remember the skinny ribs and body, but there was skin on it, not bare bone. 

Screenshot-20200430-143031-3.png

Chronic Wasting Disease

Deer with Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD)

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, AmberNetworking said:

I live in Ohio. In 2018 of February or March, I was driving home from Honda in East Liberty, Ohio.

I turned on the road to take me home, it was 3:30am - 4 am, really cold & dark out, hardly  any other cars, and I turned on OH - 508 driving past South Union Menoite Church, and right down the road at night I saw what I believe is a Wendigo crossing the road!! I just found out what matched the description of what I saw  online in photo illustrations yesterday & I can't believe more people saw it, thank God I'm not the only one.

It was shaking, going slow, I thought it was a deer that got hit by a car and injured, but what made this extremely different was that even before I stopped my car at a distance, I noticed the rest of the body except the top of back, looked like bare white human skin! I stopped and saw it go in a hurry but injured? maybe into the field! Here's what's even more creepy: i thought from a distance before I stopped it was a deer standing up, wobbling, but this thing had legs it was on all four dragging it's legs across the road but was as tall as a deer on all fours. 

ITS BACK had black mangled fur!! It's back was much wider and bigger than a deer!! It had antler things, but they were much longer and thicker looking, not a lot of points like a deer would have (my dad is a hunter this is how I know that) & it's antlers points were going in weird directions not just straight up like a deer. 

This thing is REAL, and it looks like what people call a Wendigo. I was going to back the car up & take a picture, but I was TERRIFIED and actually I went 70 mph across the railroad tracks and freaked out the whole drive home, in disbelief. I've told my husband, but never talked about ton anyone. 

Screenshot_20200430-140354~2.png

I don't know what you saw but I doubt it was a Wendigo, if it had been you would have become meal for it. Wendigos eat human flesh, and it would not have run away from you, it would have run towards you. So what it was it wasn't a Wendigo.;)

Welcome to the forum.

Peace

4 hours ago, Piney said:

A  Wendigo is the Algonquian explanation for prions disease and why we didn't practice cannibalism.  Nothing else.  

I love it when true wisdom shines!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AmberNetworking said:

I've told my husband, but never talked about ton anyone. 

Welcome to UM.

• Like 1

Deer having nontypical antlers is not common, but not rare either. Nontypical means the antlers can grow in any direction and appear in odd configurations. This is caused by genetics, age or an injury. Also, deer can have HLS (hair loss syndrome). This is caused by infestation of lice. A starving buck with a nontypical rack and HLS may be what you witnessed. It may also have been struck by a car and that's why it's dragging.

• Like 6

From what I understand, the "deer skull" wendigo is a modern invention that doesn't match the actual folklore. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

From what I understand, the "deer skull" wendigo is a modern invention that doesn't match the actual folklore. 

Yup. 

A movie invention methinks, but I don't remember how it was described in any horror novels. 

• Like 2

Just now, Piney said:

Yup. 

A movie invention methinks, but I don't remember how it was described in any horror novels. 

The first time I encountered the deer skull version was in the episode of Lost Tapes from 2010. Not sure exactly where it originated from.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Yup. 

This is a little embarrassing, but the very first time I heard about wendigo, was from an old X-men comic. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carnoferox said:

The first time I encountered the deer skull version was in the episode of Lost Tapes from 2010. Not sure exactly where it originated from.

I just looked into the lost tapes take on it.

I'm personally a skeptic of the story, a human turned into this? 

I forgot to mention though, i didn't see a tail on this thing either. And, I used to walk this long bike trail every other day around a golf course around there in 2017, and there are some weird "swamp" like areas behind Lowe's in Bellefontaine, Ohio before you get to the golf course. I'm thinking, it has all this pale skin, on the face, on the body except for the back. I'm thinking maybe it is in the shade, because I googled hairless deer, a deer image from Ohio came up but the skin looked tanned in some spots. This thing was pure white skin! If I can remember the face more, I know for a fact it doesn't have eyes like deer, I'm pretty sure they were smaller, actually. This thing went straight across the road into the field, and it didn't keep going straight, it actually went in a diagonal line in the field behind my car! Most deer just run straight, so that's weird and something to consider. When I stopped the car as it crossed, it looked out my driver's window and saw it still going out in the field just it was behind my car so I thought if I reversed the car I can get a picture of it! It was trying to get away, not coming after me, as I was watching this large weird creature thing I IMMEDIATELY got sick, like I was going to throw up and really dizzy!! It was like the feeling of shock, but instead I got really sick and dizzy, that's when I had this feeling of if I reversed the car, I'm going to die. So I drove like 70 mph across railroad tracks, I kept going.

I got home and had a bad feeling like it could be outside, I was that paranoid! I was going to call a sheriff to go there and check it out, my then boyfriend now husband came home and I told him about it briefly and said I want to call a sheriff but he said don't theyll think you're crazy, but as I was googling it I started thinking what if the sheriff or someone gets hurt? I was so scared. I told myself I have a nice job for this area, I need some sleep, I need to just forget about it and so I did. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AmberNetworking said:

I'm personally a skeptic of the story, a human turned into this? 

The legend, as I understand it, is that a human who resorts to cannibalism, is cursed and transforms into the bestial Wendigo, doomed to feast on the flesh of men.

@Piney did I get it right?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I recently told my parents about it, regrettably lol. My dad being funny said "No wonder your husband thinks you do drugs " (I don't) and my mom said "I think it's an albino deer with that CWD thing someone mentioned earlier.

I googled "malnourished albino deer"to see this:

N2ABI67Q4HJ7CT5JVRXLHQ6JRA.jpg

8d80111cc2006e9f5ca1befb9e595699--whitet

The thing is, its back had thick mangled dirt looking black fur, it was wide and huge! The antler things were way thicker, different, and lighter than the deer antlers in this photo. Like a gigantic greyhound dog the ribs and back was different than this. Legs like this but way longer, and thicker.  I also can't remember seeing the ears...I know the nose wasn't dark, it was light like white skin.

36 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

This is a little embarrassing, but the very first time I heard about wendigo, was from an old X-men comic. 

That's right!! Alpha Flight fought him!! :yes:

33 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

The legend, as I understand it, is that a human who resorts to cannibalism, is cursed and transforms into the bestial Wendigo, doomed to feast on the flesh of men.

Yup....

We also have "Clowns" who portray the Wendigo during certain ceremonies. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, XenoFish said:

@Piney we got one for you.

What’s that up in the sky? It looks like bunny holding a chainsaw.... WHY IT’S THE PINEY SIGNAL!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

What’s that up in the sky? It looks like bunny holding a chainsaw.... WHY IT’S THE PINEY SIGNAL!!

I'd rather someone with better knowledge do the heavy lifting. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1