Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Investigating

Cryptid Investigator

I have alway been fascinated by living dinosaurs (Mokele-Mbembe/ Emela-Ntouka), lake monsters (Loch Ness/Ogopogo)and bigfoot/sasquatch/yeti Legends, as well as Titanaboa and Megalodon; i would like to find out more.

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum!  :st

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cryptid Investigator said:

I have alway been fascinated by living dinosaurs (Mokele-Mbembe/ Emela-Ntouka), lake monsters (Loch Ness/Ogopogo)and bigfoot/sasquatch/yeti Legends, as well as Titanaboa and Megalodon; i would like to find out more.

Welcome to the best site on the Net!  You are guaranteed to have your most devoutly held beliefs savaged by resident skeptics but also to find many who will agree with you :)   The skeptics like to slap the newbies around sometimes :w00t:  Seriously though, welcome.  This is a great site.

9 hours ago, Cryptid Investigator said:

You'll probably be sorely disappointed to learn that all the "living dinosaurs/pterosaurs/plesiosaurs/megalodon" stories are BS and don't match what we know about these animals.

• Like 1

A noble and open minded aim.

It's worth being also open to the possibility that what you will end up studying is not so much the cryptids themselves, as much as the foibles in human nature behind such phenomena. Which is probably even more fascinating than an unknown species existing somewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

You'll probably be sorely disappointed to learn that all the "living dinosaurs/pterosaurs/plesiosaurs/megalodon" stories are BS and don't match what we know about these animals.

I agree that people can make up many tales to lead others astray, i am not looking to find "real" creatures i would just like to investigate what others think and dispel the myths surrounding them

1 hour ago, Horta said:

A noble and open minded aim.

It's worth being also open to the possibility that what you will end up studying is not so much the cryptids themselves, as much as the foibles in human nature behind such phenomena. Which is probably even more fascinating than an unknown species existing somewhere.

There are new species being discovered all the time, species that at one time would be called "dinosaurs", in my response to discoveries i always consider the coelacanth, a fish thought to be extinct but is very much alive.

11 hours ago, and then said:

Welcome to the best site on the Net!  You are guaranteed to have your most devoutly held beliefs savaged by resident skeptics but also to find many who will agree with you :)   The skeptics like to slap the newbies around sometimes :w00t:  Seriously though, welcome.  This is a great site.

Thank you very much, i expect to be savaged, ridiculed and poked fun at, that happens in every aspect of life, but there is some reason why rumours persist, whether through, tribal myths and legends or just people playing a hoax, either way it will be fun and interesting to investigat.

11 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Start with the Crypto section. Should find some informative post there.

Thank you

11 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Welcome to the forum!  :st

Thank you

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cryptid Investigator said:

There are new species being discovered all the time, species that at one time would be called "dinosaurs", in my response to discoveries i always consider the coelacanth, a fish thought to be extinct but is very much alive.

Partly true. None of these species were ever "cryptids" though. The Coelacanth definitely wasn't (it was what they call a "Lazareth species"). There were no cryptozoologists out searching for the Coelacanth nor was there a  Patterson Gimlin Coelacanth footage. It was discovered by a genuine scientist working with local fisherman.

Cryptozoology has made 0 discoveries because it is the study of creatures from folklore. Species that are found to exist are studied by real (usually mainstream) scientists. This difference might become more apparent after a while.

Edited by Horta
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Horta said:

Partly true. None of these species were ever "cryptids" though. The Coelacanth definitely wasn't (it was what they call a "Lazareth species"). There were no cryptozoologists out searching for the Coelacanth nor was there a  Patterson Gimlin Coelacanth footage. It was discovered by a genuine scientist working with local fisherman.

Cryptozoology is the study of creatures from folklore. New species are studied by (usually mainstream) scientists. The difference might become more apparent after a while.

Well put, i understand it wan't being sought after but again i am still open to possibilities of new cryptids being discovered

2 minutes ago, Cryptid Investigator said:

Well put, i understand it wan't being sought after but again i am still open to possibilities of new cryptids being discovered

I am new to this and will keep on looking and taking on board comments and advice, thank you.

1 minute ago, Cryptid Investigator said:

I really do think this is worthwhile, if you begin with an open mind and don't fall down the rabbit hole lol. There are skeptics here who arrived at this position because of exactly that. There's no harm in believing either, as long as the distinction between what is a personal belief and what can be demonstrated as a fact is maintained. There are full on believers who seem reasonable this way.

3 hours ago, Horta said:

I really do think this is worthwhile, if you begin with an open mind and don't fall down the rabbit hole lol. There are skeptics here who arrived at this position because of exactly that. There's no harm in believing either, as long as the distinction between what is a personal belief and what can be demonstrated as a fact is maintained. There are full on believers who seem reasonable this way.

I look forward to finding out more and i hope this site will help me, thank you for giving me a realistic starting point.

Welcome to UM... 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 12:51 PM, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Welcome to UM... 

Thank you

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi! 

Legends of those kinds usually start from somewhere right? I like to believe that there are some truths, and some tall tales mixed in (it's all about the human experience). Personally, I really enjoy the stories of sea monsters from travelling sailors and captains.

• Like 2