Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Murder hornets" have now entered the U.S.

Still Waters

Latest:

Another Asian giant hornet found in northwestern Washington

A dead Asian giant hornet has been found in Washington state, and officials said Friday they were trying to learn if the honey bee predators have established colonies here.

The Washington state Department of Agriculture said it was the first confirmed sighting of an Asian giant hornet in Washington this year. The hornets are known as Murder Hornets in Japan, a name that state officials frown upon.

The hornet found this week was believed to be a queen, said Sven-Erik Spichiger, an entomologist for the agency.

https://phys.org/news/2020-05-asian-giant-hornet-northwestern-washington.html

• Like 2

On 5/10/2020 at 10:03 AM, Still Waters said:

Panicked over ‘murder hornets,’ people are killing native bees we desperately need

Stupid, stupid, stupid!!! :no:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Update:

First Live ‘Murder Hornet’ Captured in the U.S.

Scientists aim to eradicate Asian giant hornet nests in the next few weeks so that the insects do not establish a population on the West Coast

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/first-live-murder-hornet-captured-us-180975987/

There's footage in this link of the hornet they captured:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/03/us/murder-hornet-nest-search-scn-trnd/index.html

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Check out this video from 3.40 where it shows bees killing one of the hornets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My grandmother�s old farm has a lot of them, we have notified the authorities, as law mandates it, they wont go because they dont know where the nest is......fck morons you look for it as its dangerous for people without porotective gear

Edited by godnodog
  • Like 1

Interesting, Wiki says combined deaths from all wasps and bees, since 2001, are under 26 a year in Japan, the giant hornet not causing very many at all. Although I reckon far fewer people are stung by the giant hornet, that's at odds with the article claiming 50 a year from the giant hornet alone. 

Articles like this are always very sensationalistic. It's not like they're mutant alien wasps that no one has seen or dealt with before. Lol they're there now, might as well learn to live with them. 

Edited by HandsomeGorilla

By far the largest threat is the decimation of the local honey bee populations rather than worry so much about people getting stung. 

The general seems to be that yes the venom is... Venomous... But really nothing special in regards to being a threat to humans. You're still just as likely to die from a sting if you're allergic, doesn't matter what you get stung by. 

I mean don't go petting the ****ers and I think we'll be aight 

On 10/24/2020 at 5:59 AM, Ozymandias said:

I have no clue why but this insect mob murder gave me immense satisfaction.

• Like 1

I can put up a good fight against them with 5 liters of petrol and a tennis racket.

On 10/24/2020 at 6:10 PM, HandsomeGorilla said:

Interesting, Wiki says combined deaths from all wasps and bees, since 2001, are under 26 a year in Japan, the giant hornet not causing very many at all. Although I reckon far fewer people are stung by the giant hornet, that's at odds with the article claiming 50 a year from the giant hornet alone. 

Articles like this are always very sensationalistic. It's not like they're mutant alien wasps that no one has seen or dealt with before. Lol they're there now, might as well learn to live with them. 

the problem is not the amount of people they kill, the problem is that a swarm can kill you, and due to its size a lower number of bees  might be enough.

On 10/24/2020 at 3:59 AM, Ozymandias said:

Women at work.!

That was GREAT!  Thanks..

All honey bee workers are girls...the males only exist to impregnate the queen and then they die. Very sad nature story but nature is a harsh mistress. 

The tune is fitting..(valkyries are female warriors) 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, InconceivableThoughts said:

I have no clue why but this insect mob murder gave me immense satisfaction.

Me too.  

i guess"murder"hornets  is a bit more catchy than "Just doin what they are put on this earth to do"hornets

• 3 weeks later...

Related:

200 Queens Found in Single 'Murder Hornet' Nest Destroyed by US Authorities

While the discovery and elimination of the nest is considered a victory by state and federal authorities – who are striving to prevent the Asian giant hornet from establishing a foothold in North America – a post-mortem of the hornets' former home provides a sobering perspective on the scale of the bug threat we're up against.

https://www.sciencealert.com/destroyed-murder-hornet-nest-in-washington-contained-200-queens-scientists-say