Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

North & South Korea in rare gunfire exchange

Still Waters

North and South Korea have exchanged gunfire in the Demilitarised Zone (DMZ) which divides the two countries.

Seoul's military said shots from the North hit a South Korean guard post in the central border town of Cheorwon.

It said it returned fire and delivered a warning announcement. There are no reports of injuries.

Such incidents across the world's most heavily fortified border are rare - the last occurred in 2017. It is not clear what led the North to open fire.

Military officials in the South say there was no sign of unusual troop movements. They are trying to find out if this was an accident or deliberate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52518844

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

@third_eye

How is this possibly funny to you? What's with the laughing emoji.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

No injuries were reported in the incident. Military officials in the South say there was no sign of unusual troop movements.

Thank God. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

No injuries were reported in the incident. Military officials in the South say there was no sign of unusual troop movements.

Thank God. 

No injuries in the South but probably a fatality in the North.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

44 minutes ago, OverSword said:

No injuries in the South but probably a fatality in the North.  

The sad thing is if they were shooting an escapee we will probably never be able to find out. One of many forgotten deaths.

• Like 3

My stepdad was sent to the 38th to  "decompress" from Nam for a while and they were shooting back and forth the whole time. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

How is this possibly funny to you? What's with the laughing emoji.

Because it's been a common occurrence since the ceasefire and suddenly it's "news". 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Piney said:

Because it's been a common occurrence since the ceasefire and suddenly it's "news". 

That's interesting.

South Korea -- North and South Korean troops exchanged fire along their tense border on Sunday, the South’s military said, the first such incident since the rivals took unprecedented steps to lower front-line animosities in late 2018.

Says they haven't since 2018.

That's probably why it's news, since there was a solid streak going.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

Just now, spartan max2 said:

Says they haven't since 2018.

Because bullets became scarce in the North after many supply lines were cut off......

....and that was only 2 years ago.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Piney said:

and that was only 2 years ago

That's what makes it news worthy though lol.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

That's what makes it news worthy though lol.

DPRK's ground forces are suffering sever malnutrition, Most of them are carrying 1950s firearms, many which would malfunction eventually and don't have any form of good body armor. The ROK would mow them like hay. 

The whole thing is a joke and when they finally hit Japanese civilians while playing with fireworks, the Land of the Rising Sun isn't gonna give a damn about rockets pointed at the civilian targets in the ROK. 

They'll get mowed.....as it should be.......

Meanwhile.....all kinds of B.S. and insanity is happening in the U.S. they aren't reporting...Like the Navajo Nation's outbreak which could wipe them out.

So who gives a **** about bullet tossing on the 38th that's been going on for decades.........

• Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Piney said:

I haven't heard anything about the Indian situation. So I'm sure you're justified to be angry.

But news obviously reports on more then just the United States. It's crazy to expect otherwise. 

Newspapers and sites typically have seperate domestic and internation sections. And even after that seperated by regions of the world. Sort of like on UM.

It's silly to be angry at the news everytime they do a report on something international. Because it's not an issues close to you personally.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It's silly to be angry at the news everytime they do a report on something international. Because it's not an issues close to you personally.

It's not a issue at all. It's been on and off since the ceasefire. 

If people think the DPRK Army is going to come screaming into the South they are morons.  Most of them would drop from exhaustion, the rest would have their barrels blow up in their faces.....hence. It's not news. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

It's not a issue at all. It's been on and off since the ceasefire. 

If people think the DPRK Army is going to come screaming into the South they are morons.  Most of them would drop from exhaustion, the rest would have their barrels blow up in their faces.....hence. It's not news. 

Okay Piney, if it's not news to you then feel free to not read about lol.

Idk what you want from me.

12 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Idk what you want from me.

Just telling you why we laughed. :yes:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Just telling you why we laughed. :yes:

It honestly seems in poor taste to me.

But thanks for explaining it. To each their own.

Just now, spartan max2 said:

It honestly seems in poor taste to me.

I'm actually a lot worse outside the UM.

When you experience death soooo much and find yourself close to it often. It has to be funny or you go insane. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I'm actually a lot worse outside the UM.

When you experience death soooo much and find yourself close to it often. It has to be funny or you go insane. :yes:

The dark sense of humor to cope. No worries.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Still Waters said:

North and South Korea have exchanged gunfire in the Demilitarised Zone (DMZ) which divides the two countries.

Seoul's military said shots from the North hit a South Korean guard post in the central border town of Cheorwon.

It said it returned fire and delivered a warning announcement. There are no reports of injuries.

Such incidents across the world's most heavily fortified border are rare - the last occurred in 2017. It is not clear what led the North to open fire.

Military officials in the South say there was no sign of unusual troop movements. They are trying to find out if this was an accident or deliberate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52518844

I don't really understand all the speculation about this situation. The comments posted here that North Korea was shooting at a defector is only speculation. 

5 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

The sad thing is if they were shooting an escapee we will probably never be able to find out. One of many forgotten deaths.

@Still Waters @Piney @third_eye  @OverSword @hetrodoxly   Links to South Korean news agencies are below

I think the chance that they were shooting at defector is very slim. I am sitting in South Korea as we speak and If the South Korean Government thought that was the case they would report it, lets face it they have no reason to hide it. The truth is this situation is most likely nothing more than accident like it's being reported. The BBC report linked by the OP is right on target with all reports on the Korean News. According to South Korean News the incident occurred during the North Korean shift change for their guards. The day it happened was very foggy at the location where the shots were fired.

When you change guards the first thing you do is an inspection of their equipment. You check their their weapons, magazines, and you check to make sure that they have the correct ammunition supply. Then you give the guards the current ( ROE ) Rules of Engagement, I don't know if it is standard policy for the North Koreans to carry their weapons according to their ROE on safety or with the weapon selector set on fire. During the process of this inspection and movement to their guard positions accidents happen,  soldiers trip and fall and a weapon misfires occur, this is  not unheard of, especially with certain AK-47 Models which is the weapon North Koreans carry. In addition it was reported in the link that it was very foggy when the incident occurred 

So that is my two cents worth on this situation, below are some additional links news agencies, both if these links are South Korean  Wes agencies.

This link is to the Korean Herald:  http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200503000083

This link is to Yonhap News:  https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200503002400325

• Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

North Korean soldiers shoot defector as he escapes, it's happened before.

Thanks for the link, but I was here when that happened and like I said when this occurs it is reported as such just like above. Defectors often escape to South Korea by many different routes, and when anything like that occurs the South Korean Government reports it. The South Korean Government excepts defectors with open arms, they give them housing, clothing, and set them up in jobs, in addition they also give them South Korean Citizenshi.

I have lived here for a total of 10 years including my military assignments here, I have a little bit of experience on how situations like this are treated, and again I will tell you if the South Korean Government thought that was the case it would have been reported that way. I could be wrong, but I doubt it based upon past situations that have occurred.

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

Thanks for the link, but I was here when that happened and like I said when this occurs it is reported as such just like above. Defectors often escape to South Korea by many different routes, and when anything like that occurs the South Korean Government reports it. The South Korean Government excepts defectors with open arms, they give them housing, clothing, and set them up in jobs. 

I have lived here for a total of 10 years including my military assignments here, I have a little bit of experience on how situation like this are treated, and again I will tell you if the South Korean Government thought that was the case it would have been reported that way. I could be wrong, but I doubt it based upon past situations that have occurred.

Peace

We'll probably never know, but the South Koreans might not know if it happened in the night on the north side, there appears to be bullets flying everywhere in that video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hetrodoxly said:

We'll probably never know, but the South Koreans might not know if it happened in the night on the north side, there appears to be bullets flying everywhere in that video.

The defection in that video occurred at Panmunjom which is where all peace talks are carried out, in fact it is the same location Where President Trump met Chairman Kim a few years back. Yes there were a lot of bullets flying, the guards both South and North Korean are specially trained for that location, and defections there are taken very seriously because of the public location of the site. 

I do agree if that's what happened, the South Koreans probably don't know and in that case we will never know the truth.

Peace

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

certain AK-47 Models which is the weapon North Koreans carry. In addition it was reported in the link that it was very foggy when the incident occurred 

I see a lot of them with PPSh-41s.....which are bigger accidents waiting to happen. 

• Like 2