Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dr Cox New Theory

Damien99

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1278162/end-of-the-world-brian-cox-universe-big-rip-doomsday-big-bang-spt

so I am having trouble understanding if he is trying to say that the Big Bang was actually the beginning of the end of the universe?

3 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Nope

Then I do not Understand why he is saying it’s the end.

He said: “The Big Rip idea can be combined with a theory we have describing the beginning of our universe, known as inflation.

“This describes a time before the Big Bang when our universe was expanding extremely rapidly.

“So inflation was that rapid expansion before the Big Bang and could be envisaged as the end of the previous universe that undergone a Big Rip.

“So inflation stops and the Big Bang happens, but what if inflation doesn’t stop all at once, it just stops in patches, so our Big Bang would just be a little event in an ever-inflating space.”

Dr Cox theory is suggesting that our big bang was basically a road bump on a path of endless inflation. And therefore more bigbangs will happen on that path.

18 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Dr Cox theory is suggesting that our big bang was basically a road bump on a path of endless inflation. And therefore more bigbangs will happen on that path.

But his theory is 

End of the world: Brian Cox's bombshell prediction over universe 'breaking point' revealed

1 minute ago, Damien99 said:

But his theory is 

End of the world: Brian Cox's bombshell prediction over universe 'breaking point' revealed

He thinks that we will all die in a big bang. One of those "road bumps". 

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

He thinks that we will all die in a big bang. One of those "road bumps". 

I see, but the article is lacking info. Time frame? Reasoning for him to believe this?

4 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

I see, but the article is lacking info. Time frame? Reasoning for him to believe this?

Long after me and you are dead lol.

It's not like a doomsday prediction if that's what you are concerned about. It's just one of many theories on how the universe as we know it will end.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It's not like a doomsday prediction if that's what you are concerned about. It's just one of many theories on how the universe as we know it will end.

Ok just fou d it funny how it’s front page news 

1 hour ago, Damien99 said:

Brian Cox is a "doomsayer" who always has a "End of the Universe" theory to get attention because his music career tanked.

It was him who came up with that vacuum decay nonsense you were on about earlier. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

Ok just fou d it funny how it’s front page news 

News loves to make "click baity" headlines to get you to look at it. The more people look at the article the more money they get. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

Be careful. You're so busy looking for doomsday, that you might forget to live your life, while you have it.

You're like that Chidi character from The Good Place. Always stuck in your own worried head.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We  know next to nothing about dark energy. This destructive 'big-rip' being speculated about would require dark energy with particular properties. We lack the knowledge to predict if or when such a 'big-rip' will occur.  

Dr. Cox also speculates about the cosmic inflation that  marked the beginning of our universe being the result of a previous 'big rip'. This  doesn't really seem to add up, at least not in the account given in the Express article.

Such a primordial 'big-rip' would have torn the previous universe asunder. How does that process suddenly become the creation of our present universe?

• Like 2

He is quite clear. I don't understand the confusion. Unless, of course, you're searching for your next "this is the end" tripe.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Piney said:

Brian Cox is a "doomsayer" who always has a "End of the Universe" theory to get attention because his music career tanked.

It was him who came up with that vacuum decay nonsense you were on about earlier. 

Music career?

39 minutes ago, Piney said:

Yes but he created this theory based on his finding from LHC when he worked in the experiments of the Higgs 

1 minute ago, Damien99 said:

I thought he was a good scientist I mean he worked on the LHC experiments 

I know a good aerospace engineer who thinks the world is 6,000 years old and the Bible is fact accurate.

We all have our Achilles' heel. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

How did you find that time frame didn’t see it in article. 

Anyone doubting Brian Cox's credentials.

Cox studied physics at the University of Manchester during his music career. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree with first-class honours and a Master of Philosophy degree in physics. After D:Ream disbanded in 1997, he completed his Doctor of Philosophy degree in high-energy particle physics at the University of Manchester.[21] His thesis, Double Diffraction Dissociation at Large Momentum Transfer,[21] was supervised by Robin Marshall[21][22] and based on research he did on the H1 experiment at the Hadron Elektron Ring Anlage (HERA)[21][23] particle accelerator at the DESY laboratory in Hamburg, Germany.[24]

Career[edit]

Research[edit]

Cox is a Royal Society University Research Fellow, a PPARC Advanced Fellow, and particle physicist at the University of Manchester.[25] He works on the ATLAS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)[26][27] at CERN,[28][29][30][31] near Geneva, Switzerland. He is working on the research and development project of the FP420 experiment in an international collaboration to upgrade the ATLAS and the Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS)[32][33] experiment by installing additional, smaller detectors at a distance of 420 metres from the interaction points of the main experiments.[34][35][36][37]

Cox has co-authored several books on physics including Why does E=mc2?[38] and The Quantum Universe, both with Jeff Forshaw.[39] He has supervised or co-supervised several PhD students to completion including Tamsin Edwards.[1][40][41][42][43][44]

I can't find a conclusion just small articles in the news papers, if he's not produced a peer reviewed white paper anything written in the MSM should be taken with a pinch of salt, what i have read isn't way out there, Penrose (i've mentioned him a lot lately) produced a paper on this years ago, the theory goes in the distant future (a few billion years) galaxies collide, black holes swallow everything and each other, though very cold they become the hottest thing in the universe and start to evaporate (Hawking radiation) i don't know if this is where Penrose and Cox part, Penrose theory is it all starts again, another big bang though he doesn't like that term, he calls it 'aeons' and thinks the background noise from a previous aeon can be detected. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Damien99 said:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1278162/end-of-the-world-brian-cox-universe-big-rip-doomsday-big-bang-spt

so I am having trouble understanding if he is trying to say that the Big Bang was actually the beginning of the end of the universe?

No, he is suggesting that the Big Bang wasn't the start of the universe, but that the universe existed long before then, and the Big Bang may have only been the start of our part of the universe. 

Something I have suggested myself (but I know as much about cosmology as Brian Cox does about good music :D

• Like 1

How did you find that time frame didn’t see it in article. 

The article dosen't give a timeline. Probably because it's just a theory about how the universe works and ends.

Edited by spartan max2

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

The article dosen't give a timeline. Probably because it's just a theory about how the universe works and ends.

Sorry you had said long after you and I are gone