Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dr Cox New Theory

Damien99

56 minutes ago, Essan said:

I thought express was a good source. And what’s with the obsession on Dr Cox this past few weeks 

7 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

Sorry you had said long after you and I are gone

Yep 

18 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

I thought express was a good source. And what’s with the obsession on Dr Cox this past few weeks 

The Express is a tabloid newspaper. If you think a tabloid newspaper is a good source of scientific information then you know nothing about either science or tabloid newspapers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Damien99 said:

Confused lol

I honestly have no idea why you're confused ? Lol

4 hours ago, Damien99 said:

so I am having trouble understanding if he is trying to say that the Big Bang was actually the beginning of the end of the universe?

And yet you argue with those that are trying to explain it to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

And yet you argue with those that are trying to explain it to you.

No where did I argue and I am sorry if you feel I did. Please show me where I argued?

7 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

The Express is a tabloid newspaper. If you think a tabloid newspaper is a good source of scientific information then you know nothing about either science or tabloid newspapers.

Sorry when I looked up express it was said to be a reliable source if Information 

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I honestly have no idea why you're confused ? Lol

Damien99 has an unhealthy fixation with the end of the universe. Every topic he has started here is about his doomsday belief. He ignores all rational arguments, all evidence that shows that the end is not nigh. He will cherry pick and misquote his own sources,

He can't even grasp the concept that space is very big, often claiming that some event in a galaxy hundreds of millions of light years away spells doom for us all.

He has an extremely limited understanding of very basic science yet tries to understand complex cosmological and quantum concepts, just to feed his belief. The facts never match up to his beliefs, but he will continue to argue that they do.

He will tell you that he is asking questions to learn, but will ignore the answers when they don't match up to to his own perverse expectations.

That is why he is confused.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

Sorry when I looked up express it was said to be a reliable source if Information 

For science? There has never been a tabloid that is a reliable source of science. Even the headline is false, the big rip is NOT Brian Cox's hypothesis, he was merely discussing it with other scientists.

The authors of this hypothesis, led by Robert R. Caldwell of Dartmouth College, calculate the time from the present to the end of the universe as we know it for this form of energy to be

Source: wikipedia

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

Sorry you had said long after you and I are gone

Many billions of years after we are gone.

Previous estimates using a similar value had suggested that the Big Rip wouldn't happen until about 20-22 billion years from now, but after developing and applying a new technique, a Chinese team led by Zhang Xin and Li Miao are suggesting it could happen as early as 16.7 billion years from now — an indication that the Universe is about 2 billion years away from hitting the halfway point in its life. On a more positive note, the researchers have assigned the best fit result at 103.5 billion years into the future.

Source: Gizmodo

Incidentally the above article is from 2012, showing that not only is this not Prof, Cox's hypothesis, but it;s not new either. In fact the Big Rip Hypothesis was first suggested in 2003.

Do you still think the Express is a reliable source of scientific information?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Many billions of years after we are gone.

Source: Gizmodo

Incidentally the above article is from 2012, showing that not only is this not Prof, Cox's hypothesis, but it;s not new either. In fact the Big Rip Hypothesis was first suggested in 2003.

Do you still think the Express is a reliable source of scientific information?

My apologies the article talks about his theory of how the Big Bang and the big rip work together.

12 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Damien99 has an unhealthy fixation with the end of the universe. Every topic he has started here is about his doomsday belief. He ignores all rational arguments, all evidence that shows that the end is not nigh. He will cherry pick and misquote his own sources,

He can't even grasp the concept that space is very big, often claiming that some event in a galaxy hundreds of millions of light years away spells doom for us all.

He has an extremely limited understanding of very basic science yet tries to understand complex cosmological and quantum concepts, just to feed his belief. The facts never match up to his beliefs, but he will continue to argue that they do.

He will tell you that he is asking questions to learn, but will ignore the answers when they don't match up to to his own perverse expectations.

That is why he is confused.

I have not ignored any answer i received on this thread and all I have done was ask questions? 

2 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

I have not ignored any answer i received on this thread and all I have done was ask questions? 

You claim that you don't ignore answers but that is clearly untrue.

Despite being shown repeatedly that every single claim you make that the end of the universe is imminent is false; despite being repeatedly shown that the articles you quote don't say what you claim they do; despite repeatedly being advised to learn some real science, what do you do?

You come back with yet another thread, with yet another scientific article you don't understand and either claim, or hint, that it is predicting the imminent end of the universe.

Continuously repeating the same behaviour proves that you have learned precisely nothing and that you have ignored everything that you have been told.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

You claim that you don't ignore answers but that is clearly untrue.

Despite being shown repeatedly that every single claim you make that the end of the universe is imminent is false; despite being repeatedly shown that the articles you quote don't say what you claim they do; despite repeatedly being advised to learn some real science, what do you do?

You come back with yet another thread, with yet another scientific article you don't understand and either claim, or hint, that it is predicting the imminent end of the universe.

Continuously repeating the same behaviour proves that you have learned precisely nothing and that you have ignored everything that you have been told.

I worked really hard not to do this in this thread. I have been trying to understand and learn through answers provided. Please tell me where you feel I have done opposite in this thread because if I did it was not my Intention. I actually feel I learned. 

4 hours ago, Damien99 said:

so I am having trouble understanding if he is trying to say that the Big Bang was actually the beginning of the end of the universe?

You started with a loaded question. In your very first post you are once again implying that the universe is doomed. Given your vast amount of previous doomsday drivel what other interpretation to your loaded question is possible?

It's just more of the same.

If you want to learn stop googling doomsday scenario's for the universe. Astronomy is a fascinating and fulfilling subject. Do some proper learning on some proper astronomy sites. When you have ACTUALLY learned something you might be able to start a topic that doesn't fuel your irrational and unfounded fears.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

You started with a loaded question. In your very first post you are once again implying that the universe is doomed. Given your vast amount of previous doomsday drivel what other interpretation to your loaded question is possible?

It's just more of the same.

If you want to learn stop googling doomsday scenario's for the universe. Astronomy is a fascinating and fulfilling subject. Do some proper learning on some proper astronomy sites. When you have ACTUALLY learned something you might be able to start a topic that doesn't fuel your irrational and unfounded fears.

It was not meant to be a loaded question

On 5/5/2020 at 9:36 PM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

I watched a documentary recently (one of a series I believe) about events that occurred a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. 

Dr Cox wasn't on, staring wistfully into the distance and dumbing down the science to my level, so I got a bit lost when they were talking about hyperspace and completing the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs.  I got annoyed when they kept referring to dark stuff and a strange new force as factual without offering any evidence for them.  But I stuck with it 'cos I could tell the scientists were worried about something when the music turned really sombre.  It was looking very ominous for a while and I thought - maybe Damien99 is right to worry about such things?  Who knows what might pop out of hyperspace from the other side of wherever and ray us to bits with green light?

But everything turned out okay in the end, so that's alright.