Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Odd breathing ability?

Hankenhunter

I wasn't sure where to put this, so Mods feel free to move it. 

I need some help with a question, but first a little background info. 

Twice in my life I've had pneumonia. Once was particle, and the other was viral. After the last bout thirty years ago, my doctor got me hooked up with a better breathing video and some printed material. Because I was really scared to get it again, I followed his instructions to the letter. Then I learned more breathing techniques from the internet and added them to my nightly breathing exercises before I fall asleep.

Now comes the weird part. I can, through much practice, now gradually fill one lung more than the other. I can do it with either lung. As an example, I breath in about a third capacity in one lung, then inflate the other to one third, then two thirds in the first lung then expand the other to two thirds capacity, then back to the first, and second lungs to complete the inflation. Then do it in reverse, exhaling. To do this I use my diaphragm and rib muscles on either side separately. I showed my wife and a few friends and they were really surprised. 

My question is, is this fairly common? I looked all over for info but came up empty except for lots of punctured lung links. Just wondering if UM's meditationers have experienced this? Thanks.

I dead set wouldn't know. Does remind me of Steve Starrs amazing ability though.

• Haha 1

Could it be possible that you have developed more acute control of muscles in that you are able to create a difference in pressure between each lung, causing the one with lower pressure to fill until it matches the pressure of the other lung?

Eg. Squeeze the left lung more tightly with whatever muscle groups, breathe in, the right lung would fill more readily than the left until the pressure in both reach equilibrium. Then the left would begin to fill.

Edited by Timothy
Typo.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2020 at 2:29 AM, micahc said:

apparently one lung breathing is a real thing.  interesting.  

https://www.centerworks.com/one-lung-breathing-creating-balance-for-better-breathing-and-posture/

Thank you. I was wondering if everybody was thinking  I was nuts. I just discovered I could do it a little and just kept practicing. I can fill or deflate either, or alternating lungs about 1/4 capacity with each partial breath. I usually fall asleep doing it. I'm going to show my Doctor and see what he says. 

Edited by Hankenhunter

On 5/6/2020 at 2:27 AM, Timothy said:

Could it be possible that you have developed more acute control of muscles in that you are able to create a difference in pressure between each lung, causing the one with lower pressure to fill until it matches the pressure of the other lung?

Eg. Squeeze the left lung more tightly with whatever muscle groups, breathe in, the right lung would fill more readily than the left until the pressure in both reach equilibrium. Then the left would begin to fill.

Yes! It's like a dance steps with the muscle groups on each side, and back. Also like going up and down a ladder. One step at a time. It took years to accomplish it. Thanks for the inciteful post.

8 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Yes! It's like a dance steps with the muscle groups on each side, and back. Also like going up and down a ladder. One step at a time. It took years to accomplish it. Thanks for the inciteful post.

It would make very minimal difference.
Just interested to know if the muscle control is possible. 

On 5/6/2020 at 12:42 AM, Hankenhunter said:

Now comes the weird part. I can, through much practice, now gradually fill one lung more than the other. I can do it with either lung. As an example, I breath in about a third capacity in one lung, then inflate the other to one third, then two thirds in the first lung then expand the other to two thirds capacity, then back to the first, and second lungs to complete the inflation. Then do it in reverse, exhaling. To do this I use my diaphragm and rib muscles on either side separately. I showed my wife and a few friends and they were really surprised. 

How could you possibly know this? Only a pulmonary function test (done in hospital) can determine lung volume, capacity, rates of flow, etc.

8 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

How could you possibly know this? Only a pulmonary function test (done in hospital) can determine lung volume, capacity, rates of flow, etc.

Years of practice. I know it because I can feel it. Perhaps my Doctor can supply proof, when I see him next.