Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sinkhole swallows up everything in new video

UM-Bot

I was watching a programme a while back about house being built in areas known for sinkholes. The properties are cheap and you take your chances.

ON AN AVERAGE day in Land O'Lakes, Florida, the ground opened up and swallowed a house whole.

The house was the latest victim of one of the many sinkholes plaguing Florida. According to Florida news outlet WFLA, two homes, a boat, a driveway, and a portion of the road was sucked into the ground.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/07/florida-sinkhole-swallows-homes-video-spd/

The O'lakes is a bit of a clue to get a survey, but people still take their chances.

• Like 1

It seems to be human nature to have a "It won't happen to me!" attitude about known threats. What you are saying is equally applicable for people that build huge cities right on the top of a known massively active fault zone. People build and live on the slopes and in the valleys below volcanoes. In New Orleans they build homes in holes 12 feet below sea-level right on the coast. When a storm came and wiped a lot of the homes out and killed a bunch of people we HELPED them rebuild right back in the bottom of those holes. We build in coastal areas where we KNOW tsunamis happen. ??? In some ways I guess it is evolution in action. Sooner or later people that do this will get got by the known threat that they ignored.

Pretty spectacular and frightening at the same time. 

Reminds me of @third_eye at the dinner table.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

The house was the latest victim of one of the many sinkholes plaguing Florida. According to Florida news outlet WFLA, two homes, a boat, a driveway, and a portion of the road was sucked into the ground.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/07/florida-sinkhole-swallows-homes-video-spd/

If this article includes a video of the incident, I can't find it.

Doesn't look that bad to me, I was expecting something gigantic, not just a hole in a river sucking down grass. It didn't expand at all.

Edited by moonman

Whoever videoed that was way too close.  The ground for 30 meters in every direction could easily have opened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

Whoever videoed that was way too close.  The ground for 30 meters in every direction could easily have opened.

Well, the impression I got was these people were having the time of their lives. Sounded like a big celebration, like when we watch fireworks. I hear lots of laughing. I certainly wouldn't see it as a positive event, nor would I be laughing. And yes, they are far too close to it. It's no wonder  It's no wonder their birthrate is double that of the US and they can't feed everyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, moonman said:

Doesn't look that bad to me, I was expecting something gigantic, not just a hole in a river sucking down grass. It didn't expand at all.

It's part of the separation of the Great Rift Valley so it's likely to get bigger.

https://newsofafrica.org/watch-kenya-splitting-rift-valley-suswa-just-beginning.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Rift_Valley,_Kenya

• Like 1

Epic! No wonder we all have such fascinating mythologies. Although, I don't think I'd be standing within viewing distance of that...

• Like 1

Well, someone with one of these would have done some crazy footage !

Outdoor.com » Underwater Fishing Cameras

Edited by Jon the frog