Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does God expect to be worshipped by humans?

BEAR-CUB

28 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

I think that god is merely human ego projection.  I am always struck at what an ugly literary creation the monotheist god actually is; what a flawed and shameful description of a godhead, then I remember that there is nothing more ugly than a human ego given full flight.

Small-minded people think small--I never expect anymore of them. You're oblivious to your own "ego projection" above. It's seems some people go through life, curled in the fetal position, picking lint from their navels. Sad; there's nothing more tragic than tiny little closed minds.

9 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Small-minded people think small--I never expect anymore of them. You're oblivious to your own "ego projection" above. It's seems some people go through life, curled in the fetal position, picking lint from their navels. Sad; there's nothing more tragic than tiny little closed minds.

"Religion convinced the world that there's an invisible man in the sky who watches everything you do. And there's 10 things he doesn't want you to do or else you'll to to a burning place with a lake of fire until the end of eternity. But he loves you! ...And he needs money! He's all powerful, but he can't handle money!" -George Carlin.

Given how ugly the literary character of God is in the Bible, why would you even want to have anything to do with it?  He is a less sympathetic character than Satan as written, from a purely literary perspective.  I mean, your god is supposed to be love... but it's a jealous creepy love that thrives on punishing his own creations, rather than taking responsibility for their failings.  Oh and his plan for the world is perfect, except that he needed to destroy it with a flood.  And he endorses genocide. 

Edited by Alchopwn

1 minute ago, Alchopwn said:

"Religion convinced the world that there's an invisible man in the sky who watches everything you do. And there's 10 things he doesn't want you to do or else you'll to to a burning place with a lake of fire until the end of eternity. But he loves you! ...And he needs money! He's all powerful, but he can't handle money!" -George Carlin.

"Never argue with stupid people. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -Samuel Clemens

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

"Never argue with stupid people. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -Samuel Clemens

Clemens was an atheist btw.  Nice of you to make that point against yourself however.

Edited by Alchopwn

12 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Clemens was an atheist btw.  Nice of you to make that point against yourself however.

I have no problem with atheists, their honesty is refreshing. However, I do have a problem with A-holes such as you, whatever stripe. Most atheists understand I have no obligation to provide proof of a belief, anymore than they have an obligation to provide proof of a negative, both being opinions lacking confirmational data. A-holes of either camp will often foist insulting rationalizations on you to bolster their argument. Pathetic nothings, hardly worthy of notice.

Edited by Hammerclaw

All these complaint about Christianity, most Christians are not even Christian. They typically follow a cliff-notes version of their brand of faith. Toss out the outdated non-sense. Belief in god, prayer, and trying to be a decent human being. At least that's what I gather. It takes a special kind of stupid to be a fire and brimstone bible thumper. I honestly think that kind of person lack actual faith so they compensate. As far as I can tell in regards to god-belief. It is supposed to be between the believer and their god, not the believer and everyone else. 

• Like 4

I don’t expect or demand to be loved by my child. I really want them to love me, but I’m willing to sacrifice that want for their own good. Just ask my 13 year old. If god viewed us as it’s children, then I would think there would be A similar relationship. 

My experience with what I perceive to be god is that it’s more like a dog. It wants our love and attention really bad, but is okay without it. I’m the same way with my children and wife. Why wouldn’t it? I think the ultimate of being a conscious being is the relationships we have with other conscious beings. I don’t think worshiped is the right word. From my own experiences being “worshiped“ and elevated to higher places than I thought was healthy in the minds of others made me very uncomfortable. As a martial arts school owner it does happen sometimes, and I have seen how less honorable men handle it.  I think god is indifferent to humans worshiping her, but does indeed enjoy genuine love.  

• Like 1

d1unfly-6e09b9d4-6285-40fe-a758-d4fe72e83aae.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpc3MiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwic3ViIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTpmaWxlLmRvd25sb2FkIl0sIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiIvZi80NjIxMGNjMS0zMzQ4LTQ5M2QtYWExMi0wMDU1ODM2ZTJlNzQvZDF1bmZseS02ZTA5YjlkNC02Mjg1LTQwZmUtYTc1OC1kNGZlNzJlODNhYWUucG5nIn1dXX0.bVyPFHje3EH_QpIZX7Nw2iIXG22C8z1p0Ph0xuZx2tI

8 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Daniel is fiction, too, written long after the events it depicts--but very good fiction. Such morphing of fiction into reality happens even in modern times, such as the story of The Angels of Mons. 

It's all fiction including the Gospels. Even Maccabees is twisted up. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

It's all fiction including the Gospels. Even Maccabees is twisted up. 

Christianity existed before the gospels, which were a tale that grew in the telling after the revolts. Yeshuah bar Josef, the teacher, may have been known of outside of Judea before his ill-fated Passover trip.

19 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Yeshuah bar Josef,

Was completely imaginary. Joseph was added much later in the story.

In my opinion they needed to tag a Hebrew's name to some Alexandrian Greco-Buddhist teachings to make it palpable to other Hebrews.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

Was completely imaginary. Joseph was added much later in the story.

In my opinion they needed to tag a Hebrew's name to some Alexandrian Greco-Buddhist teachings to make it palpable to other Hebrews.  

I wouldn't know, as--unlike yourself--I don't have access to the complete story. All I hear is glorified/pompous declarations of opinion from both sides. In the end belief in either will have to suffice. Crisis and conversion seem to go hand in hand, as the story of Mitsuo Fuchida illustrates. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I wouldn't know, as--unlike yourself--I don't have access to the complete story. All I hear is glorified/pompous declarations of opinion from both sides. In the end belief in either will have to suffice. Crisis and conversion seem to go hand in hand, as the story of Mitsuo Fuchida illustrates. 

Until somebody shows me a historical document that isn't pious fraud I will continue to believe a bunch of Therapeutae teachings were attached to Jesus Ben Ananias. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

Until somebody shows me a historical document that isn't pious fraud I will continue to believe a bunch of Therapeutae teachings were attached to Jesus Ben Ananias. 

Welcome to the wonderful world of belief. Perhaps you will outrun the white man in his own shoes, yet.

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

Welcome to the wonderful world of belief. Perhaps you will outrun the white man in his own shoes, yet.

I have Mormons and JWs whistlers running the other way. 

But that might be because if I see them I answer the door in the buff. :unsure2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I have Mormons and JWs whistlers running the other way. 

But that might be because if I see them I answer the door in the buff. :unsure2:

I just platt the twishers on'em.:alien:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

I just platt the twishers on'em.:alien:

Refreshing to see some folks recognize the reference. The stories illustrate the uncertainties of immigrants to a foreign land, how they overcome distrust, suspicion and their own fears. Also, as is often the case, how maintaining vital links to their native culture enriches the whole. Zenna Henderson was a remarkably insightful woman. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

You do know that the little guy that's whistling at the end of my comment means I'm not serious right?:huh::whistle:

You of all people should know that your post is meaningless to me because of past discussion where I have stated that for me god is our ability to think, create and realize potential and that is the truth of my way.:D

jmccr8

True but, as always, my posts are directed beyond the person I am responding to.

Many people have been fooled by catholicism's revision of the salvation story and live in fear. IMO this is the aim of the church(at  least in it's past)  Churches like their believers to fear god,  because then the church has power over them through its monopoly on salvation.

It is not only the  catholic church which teaches this, but they originated it .

My post was to correct that  error  so that people who are believers can live in hope, not fear.

15 hours ago, Piney said:

I think it's a Greek style satire of Daniel style prophecy written to insult somebody or something. 

Many biblical scholars do see an intended link between Daniel and revelations especially in their  reinforcement and adaptation of prophecy 

However I think you make one mistake IMO the writers of these books BELIEVED what the y wrote to be true and important.

Revelations was designed to complement Daniel, and to present the end of the biblical time line, with a final prophecy.

You will find many articles on this, just by googling  "relationship between daniel and revelations." 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

My post was to correct that  error 

Hi Walker

Just a minor point but there was no error in my jest if was a joke but the maybe it was a inside joke.:D None of your post was relevant to the humor intended.:lol:

jmccr8

• Thanks 2

On 7/6/2020 at 7:26 PM, Piney said:

But that might be because if I see them I answer the door in the buff.

How many die from laughter. (You walked right into that one):D:lol:

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

Just a minor point but there was no error in my jest if was a joke but the maybe it was a inside joke.:D None of your post was relevant to the humor intended.:lol:

jmccr8

You are right, there was no error in your post, but in the general belief by many that christianity requires a priest to hear confession, or that   the bible says that you go to either heaven or hell after dying.

Anyone can commune with their god individually, and doesn't need a priest or even a religion.. 

1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

You are right, there was no error in your post, but in the general belief by many that christianity requires a priest to hear confession, or that   the bible says that you go to either heaven or hell after dying.

Anyone can commune with their god individually, and doesn't need a priest or even a religion.. 

Hi Walker

You really should open a thread where I will actively engage you, I am tired of the moaning so try not to stress the other members by discussing with you.

It was a joke,if I said I could put an a$$ 2 calfs and a thousand hares in a pair of pantyhose would it still have garnered a sermon?:huh:

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
spulling
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

You really should open a thread where I will actively engage you, I am tired of the moaning so try not to stress the other members by discussing with you.

It was a joke,if I said I could put an a$$ 2 calfs and a thousand hares in a pair of pantyhose would it still have garnered a sermon?:huh:

jmccr8

It would if I thought it required one :)  

• Haha 1

• This topic was locked and unlocked