Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
OverSword

AOC calls for work boycott

41 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Sir Wearer of Hats
5 hours ago, OverSword said:

Would you harm her if she were ugly? 

Nah, I’m a pacifist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
OverSword
14 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Nah, I’m a pacifist. 

Bush pig and let live, eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats
19 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Bush pig and let live, eh?

I never made allusions to not being shallow.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
razman

If she's paying the bills , i'm game for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
micahc

I call for a work boycott every day.  whoever thought of a 5 day work week and a 2 day weekend should be shot.  I pretty much suck starting Wednesday anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
2 minutes ago, micahc said:

I call for a work boycott every day.  whoever thought of a 5 day work week and a 2 day weekend should be shot.  I pretty much suck starting Wednesday anyway.

I have problems functioning on Monday and Friday.  When my daughter was 3 I had to work and there was no other adult so she had to go to daycare.  We were all exhausted and she expressed it very well by saying "Mamma, lets just do Monday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday"  I told her I would love to but I would have to ask my boss.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
F3SS

I wonder how AOC will feel when the blue collar workers accept her proposal and her apartment is sweltering in the summer and her downtrodden base is freezing in the winter and there's no HVAC crews available to fix their heating and air conditioning. Who's she gonna call on to solve that problem? People like her have no idea what they're even saying.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats
On 5/8/2020 at 7:45 AM, micahc said:

I call for a work boycott every day.  whoever thought of a 5 day work week and a 2 day weekend should be shot.  I pretty much suck starting Wednesday anyway.

One of my kids worked out a 10 day week” plan, a block of 36 weeks and a five day “weekend”. You work 4 days, a day off, work four, a day off. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
razman
Posted (edited)

You know it obviously is not directly feasible to do what AOC is saying as we all would not be making money for our needs. But the point she is making is that without us , they have nothing. Without us working or buying , they have nothing. Even if they had robots making everything , without us buying then what do they have? Where does the governments get money? From taxes ? Trade that requires workers to produce? In other words from us. If we all were to boycott a corporations goods or services , how long would they last? (though I understand that they are resilient and have funds and such that they might just switch their goods or services). And all this is not as simple as it sounds , but the general gist of it is that the bottom line is , it all comes from the working class people. Its like the rest of the body trying to get by without a beating heart.  Or as wealthy politicians might think , perhaps we are the butthole(sarcasm), but hey , you gotta take a crap , well it's gotta get past the butthole.

Edited by razman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2020 at 12:56 PM, razman said:

You know it obviously is not directly feasible to do what AOC is saying as we all would not be making money for our needs. But the point she is making is that without us , they have nothing. Without us working or buying , they have nothing. Even if they had robots making everything , without us buying then what do they have? Where does the governments get money? From taxes ? Trade that requires workers to produce? In other words from us. If we all were to boycott a corporations goods or services , how long would they last? (though I understand that they are resilient and have funds and such that they might just switch their goods or services). And all this is not as simple as it sounds , but the general gist of it is that the bottom line is , it all comes from the working class people. Its like the rest of the body trying to get by without a beating heart.  Or as wealthy politicians might think , perhaps we are the butthole(sarcasm), but hey , you gotta take a crap , well it's gotta get past the butthole.

I have often boycotted products from certain companies.  By myself it probably does not make an impact but in large groups it does and you are right, if we don't or can't shop, the corporations start withering away.  The best thing we can do is buy locally, and research any company that provides  the goods we want that are not local and decide who we will buy from.  For example I have a list of all the Nestle products and companies that Nestle owns, their name is stamped on every product no matter which company produces it so it is easy to avoid their products.  Some aren't so transparent but sometimes we have to make a choice, do we want to be sheep or normal, thinking people support what we believe is right and avoiding support for anything that we consider detrimental to society in any way.

That also goes for how we vote, which is more with how we spend our money than it is who we vote for at the polls, but when a system is broken it is time to step outside that system and vote differently, rather than for a party that does not serve us (and neither of the big parties do) vote for an independent or third party candidate.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
On 5/9/2020 at 11:56 AM, razman said:

You know it obviously is not directly feasible to do what AOC is saying as we all would not be making money for our needs. But the point she is making is that without us , they have nothing. Without us working or buying , they have nothing. Even if they had robots making everything , without us buying then what do they have? Where does the governments get money? From taxes ? Trade that requires workers to produce? In other words from us. If we all were to boycott a corporations goods or services , how long would they last? (though I understand that they are resilient and have funds and such that they might just switch their goods or services). And all this is not as simple as it sounds , but the general gist of it is that the bottom line is , it all comes from the working class people. Its like the rest of the body trying to get by without a beating heart.  Or as wealthy politicians might think , perhaps we are the butthole(sarcasm), but hey , you gotta take a crap , well it's gotta get past the butthole.

It's really not they and we, it's us.  That's what a marketplace is.  Both parties, buyer and seller, employer and employee make an exchange to their mutual advantage.  AOC is a young person with high ideals and low experience.  Her proposal is foolish and wouldn't just hurt one side it would everyone.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa
On 5/9/2020 at 11:56 AM, razman said:

(though I understand that they are resilient and have funds and such that they might just switch their goods or services).

Looking at the whining and panic, it appears that major corporations have not put aside funds from the many profitable quarters they have had but  dispersed it to executives and stock holders.

 

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

The best thing we can do is buy locally, and research any company that provides  the goods we want that are not local and decide who we will buy from. 

Think of all of the volunteers that have been making surgical masks and caps for medical personnel that couldn't get them elsewhere.  By contrast, on the professional side, consider all the supply companies that have raised their prices because the market will bear it.  

Maybe this in an opportunity  for local people to generate some income by selling to local doctors and clinics after the worst has passed.  It would surely shorten and diversify our supply chains.

 

We have created a model for our economy of large concentrator packing houses fed by corporate farms scattered over hundreds of miles shipping millions of pounds of product to large concentration warehouses hundreds or thousands of miles away..  It may be a little more fragile than we thought.  

We have come to accept "efficiency" as the most amount of money concentrated in the fewest hands.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Tatetopa

 

26 minutes ago, OverSword said:

It's really not they and we, it's us.  That's what a marketplace is.  Both parties, buyer and seller, employer and employee make an exchange to their mutual advantage.  AOC is a young person with high ideals and low experience.  Her proposal is foolish and wouldn't just hurt one side it would everyone.  

 

Well if employees and employers then reach a new agreement on wealth distribution then it is to their mutual advantage.  Employees reduce the supply of their labor until demand increases and a new price point is set.  Isn't that how a free market works to our mutual advantage?
 
Having never worked in an industry that cares much about the hourly contribution other than doing what they are told with all possible speed, I can say that in those industries, it is definitely we and they.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

 

 

Well if employees and employers then reach a new agreement on wealth distribution then it is to their mutual advantage.  Employees reduce the supply of their labor until demand increases and a new price point is set.  Isn't that how a free market works to our mutual advantage?
 
Having never worked in an industry that cares much about the hourly contribution other than doing what they are told with all possible speed, I can say that in those industries, it is definitely we and they.

An employer pays you a bit less than what your work is worth in order to make profit and an employee gets paid a bit more than his time is worth elsewhere.  If you want to reduce the supply of your labor then you can probably be replaced or if you can get more elsewhere you can leave and go make more.  If you want to work as a union to negotiate a better deal you can do that but most people I know in unions complain about the union much more than they do about their employer. 

The reality is that the individual worker is more vulnerable to harm with what you suggest because someone else can always be hired, there is always a supply of labor. 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa
22 minutes ago, OverSword said:

An employer pays you a bit less than what your work is worth in order to make profit and an employee gets paid a bit more than his time is worth elsewhere.

That is understandable.  It is what makes the overhead and profit.  I knew everyday I worked as an engineer that I had to produce 2.5 times my salary and benefits to maintain my position, and I did it well enough to get a bonus too.  I got invited to go somewhere else for a substantial amount more and I did, no hard feelings on my part, just personal interest.  Hourly workers on most shop floors do not have that opportunity or luxury though.

I am not opposed to management or the profit motive, I have been part of management and tried to do it fairly.  What I am becoming most dubious of is large global mega-corporations  as the most effective way to manage supply and demand in our society.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Big Jim

The "buy local" idea sounds good, but how many local companies are making cars and shoes?  Are there neighborhood forests for lumber, local mines for minerals?  Would you rather buy from a large meat packer or live next door to a hog farm?  We have the current system not by design but by evolution.  It exists because it works.  So many arguments are based on comparing the current state of affairs to imagined perfection.  The big corporations didn't start out big, they are all the result of one person's dreams and ambition.  They are the current manifestation of Henry Ford and Barney Kroger.  The progeny of Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos.  They provide a living for all of us who don't have the same imagination and drive.  Boycotts hurt only the participants, not the target.  I've been hearing about boycotts all my life.  I've not seen one company go under because of them.  I can remember when people were burning Beatles records because of something Lennon said.  That is all but forgotten but they are not.  I don't confuse my needs with my politics.  To live comfortably I need an income and products to buy.  Letting politics determine how I satisfy my needs has a much bigger effect on me than it does the suppliers of those needs.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.