Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The origins of the term flying saucer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Arnold_UFO_sighting

The Kenneth Arnold UFO sighting occurred on June 24, 1947, when private pilot Kenneth Arnold claimed that he saw a string of nine, shiny unidentified flying objects flying past Mount Rainier at speeds that Arnold estimated at a minimum of 1,200 miles an hour (1,932 km/hr). This was the first post-War sighting in the United States that garnered nationwide news coverage and is credited with being the first of the modern era of UFO sightings, including numerous reported sightings over the next two to three weeks. Arnold's description of the objects also led to the press quickly coining the terms flying saucer and flying disc as popular descriptive terms for UFOs.

I didn't know about this incident although it happened the same month as Roswell. What do you think of it, is the pilot's testimony authentic?

Edited by TrumanB
  • Thanks 1

@TrumanB This thread may interest you.

• Thanks 2

Thank you. Tuco's Gass comment on Roswell and small cascets is very interesting.

and here is the topic about this incident:

I did a google search but it didn't yield any result. Sorry folks, not my fault!

You didnt find much on arnold?

I did when i researched him, he played that for all it was worth teamed with ray palmer of fate sci fi rag, the rags name was of course changed to "flying saucers" printed on pulp paper and caterer to a dear true believer fan base who enjoyed palmer and arnold putting something over on them,

perhaps its jumping but to me the most telling thing i read and i am paraphrasing was his daughter giving me the impression that he likely made up, embellished stuff for attention, and profit.

Rewind, while i realize that some people are full of bull and make up stuff i believe most cases even the known bs ones have a trigger,

I believe its possible arnold saw fighter planes, birds, reflection etc that gave him the idea to sensationalize his encounter, do i believe he saw otherworldly craft? No.

Roswell is rather dull and boring when one reads the original mac brazel report to the sheriff which didnt describe any craft that could traverse space nor alien bodies what mac reported was the perfect description of weather balloon radar target wreckage, this was collaborated by his kid.

All the rest was spread decades later by people wanting attention and profit making up stories with zero proof,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Arnold never reported seeing saucer shaped objects.. it was a reporting error

• Thanks 3

I don’t know anything about these people, but I know flying saucers exist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

I don’t know anything about these people, but I know flying saucers exist. 

you seem to have a deep interest in this subject yet you know nothing about kenneth arnold :rolleyes:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

you seem to have a deep interest in this subject yet you know nothing about kenneth arnold :rolleyes:

Nope nothing. I’m sure I’ve heard the story but it’s been a long time. 

I don’t need anyone for me to have a deep interest. In fact no one could make me interested in the subject as a whole just from their stories. God knows I had no interest till the night one was floating around over my house. Till that same craft descended toward me getting so close I nearly ran away. Let’s say it left an impression. One I’ll probably never forget. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Nope nothing. I’m sure I’ve heard the story but it’s been a long time. 

I don’t need anyone for me to have a deep interest. In fact no one could make me interested in the subject as a whole just from their stories. God knows I had no interest till the night one was floating around over my house. Till that same craft descended toward me getting so close I nearly ran away. Let’s say it left an impression. One I’ll probably never forget. 

fair enough

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To repeat myself on that other thread, and provide another link....

I maintain that Arnold's claims are beyond what is possible for the human eye, and that, frankly, he embellished his tale to the point where I just don't believe him..  To be specific, I'd suggest you might like to start with this posting by yours truly on another thread where the topic drifted to Arnold's 'saucers'.. and where I elaborate on just why I say he's bull-manuring:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Our planes use the force of repulsion of gases and the plane moves in the opposite direction leaving a trail and their ship according to some data uses the magnetic force of the Earth therefore has a plate-shaped shape because a flat object has a large repulsive area. And the ship moves by tilting the plate body. But from the point of view of air resistance this is only good for horizontal flight, but if the plate tilts, then the resistance will increase significantly because the resistance of the upper part of the ship and not the side will be involved.Although if they learned to eliminate the air resistance or the hull of their ship goes into an energy state, the resistance no longer plays any role.Fighter pilots say that they can’t quickly move from one speed and altitude to another but aliens can.
It is also written that they use faults in the ground because a lot of energy comes out through them that they can use during the flight.
Nevertheless, the fact of gas withdrawal from the main pipe without its damage by aliens was recorded so that they can consume some earthly energy well, and this suggests that they can energetically remove obstacles of physical objects. They can draw a person into the ship by a beam through the house, or stop cars on the street, penetrate rock walls and much more so that they have energy superiority over matter and  this is already a magical level of technology.

45 minutes ago, Coil said:
Our planes use the force of repulsion of gases and the plane moves in the opposite direction leaving a trail and their ship according to some data uses the magnetic force of the Earth therefore has a plate-shaped shape because a flat object has a large repulsive area. And the ship moves by tilting the plate body. But from the point of view of air resistance this is only good for horizontal flight, but if the plate tilts, then the resistance will increase significantly because the resistance of the upper part of the ship and not the side will be involved.Although if they learned to eliminate the air resistance or the hull of their ship goes into an energy state, the resistance no longer plays any role.Fighter pilots say that they can’t quickly move from one speed and altitude to another but aliens can.
It is also written that they use faults in the ground because a lot of energy comes out through them that they can use during the flight.
Nevertheless, the fact of gas withdrawal from the main pipe without its damage by aliens was recorded so that they can consume some earthly energy well, and this suggests that they can energetically remove obstacles of physical objects. They can draw a person into the ship by a beam through the house, or stop cars on the street, penetrate rock walls and much more so that they have energy superiority over matter and  this is already a magical level of technology.

@Piney @ChrLzs @Dejarma @the13batsThis is where the term Flying Saucer came from, it came from a man named Kenneth Arnold, who reported a group of UFO's flying past Mount Ranier, in Washington State. I believe that he was mistaken in what he saw, In the summer 1989 myself and some other soldiers went on a Park Service trip and climbed Mount Rainer. this mountain is known for producing very strange cloud formations, which occurred while we were climbing. I believe that is what he actually saw. These Mountains are so large that they generate their own weather systems, and sometimes the Clouds are smaller and much more numerous, but they still are Saucer shaped. 

Here is example of a cloud formation that was similar to the one we saw while climbing the mountain. These formations are not uncommon in the Cascade Mountain Range and especially around Mount Rainer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Arnold_UFO_sighting

Peace

mount Ranier.png

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2

On 5/8/2020 at 5:07 AM, Dejarma said:

fair enough

Hey Dude, I know you survived the crash at Roswell New Mexico, and I know you have been hidden away at Groom lake since the 1960's. Tell these people the truth about this phenomenon, we both know you have the answers they are all seeking. I mean that was the purpose of the thread you started last week that was shut down before you could reveal the truth. The dam government needs to stay out this people can't be keep in the dark forever.

Peace Bro.

image_56430527307bc1.06326962.jpg

mysterious-egypt-03.jpg

Papyrus Tully, as they began to name this amazing document after the death of its owner, states:

“In the 22nd year, on the third month of winter, at six o’clock in the afternoon, the scribes of the House of Life saw a ball of fire in the sky ... A fetid breath escaped from his mouth, but he didn’t have a head and he was silent. It was about the size of a length and the same width (46 m.). At the sight of this diva, the scribes were frightened and prostrated ... When the ball left, they went to the palace of the pharaoh and talked about what they saw in heaven.

His Majesty ordered ... To observe the ball ... And he himself began to reflect on its meaning. He commanded to make an entry in the scroll of the House of Life. A few days later, the same balls appeared in the sky in great numbers. With their radiance and brilliance they overshadowed the sun. The balls moved freely in all four directions ... For a long time the army, led by the pharaoh himself, watched them. All this happened after dinner. Then they rose even higher and retreated south, and fish and birds began to fall from the sky. Never since the days of the foundation of our Earth has anyone seen such a miracle ...

To appease the Earth, the pharaoh ordered to bring incense to the altar of Amon-Ra and light them ... Everything that happened that day, he ordered to be written down in the annals of the House of Life, so that the memory of this would remain forever. "

Photo of captured UFO on papyrus  and they can hardly be confused with clouds:

aSQkm6suOxs.jpg

tulli+papyrus(1).gif

https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=papirus+tulli&client=firefox-b-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj-1MWKrb3pAhVvkosKHRNMD6IQsAR6BAgKEAE&biw=1280&bih=888

Edited by Coil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Coil said:

image_56430527307bc1.06326962.jpg

mysterious-egypt-03.jpg

Papyrus Tully, as they began to name this amazing document after the death of its owner, states:

“In the 22nd year, on the third month of winter, at six o’clock in the afternoon, the scribes of the House of Life saw a ball of fire in the sky ... A fetid breath escaped from his mouth, but he didn’t have a head and he was silent. It was about the size of a length and the same width (46 m.). At the sight of this diva, the scribes were frightened and prostrated ... When the ball left, they went to the palace of the pharaoh and talked about what they saw in heaven.

His Majesty ordered ... To observe the ball ... And he himself began to reflect on its meaning. He commanded to make an entry in the scroll of the House of Life. A few days later, the same balls appeared in the sky in great numbers. With their radiance and brilliance they overshadowed the sun. The balls moved freely in all four directions ... For a long time the army, led by the pharaoh himself, watched them. All this happened after dinner. Then they rose even higher and retreated south, and fish and birds began to fall from the sky. Never since the days of the foundation of our Earth has anyone seen such a miracle ...

To appease the Earth, the pharaoh ordered to bring incense to the altar of Amon-Ra and light them ... Everything that happened that day, he ordered to be written down in the annals of the House of Life, so that the memory of this would remain forever. "

Photo of captured UFO on papyrus  and they can hardly be confused with clouds:

aSQkm6suOxs.jpg

tulli+papyrus(1).gif

https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=papirus+tulli&client=firefox-b-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj-1MWKrb3pAhVvkosKHRNMD6IQsAR6BAgKEAE&biw=1280&bih=888

Been watching a bit too much Ancient Aliens?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Been watching a bit too much Ancient Aliens?

I'm not very interested in them now since we cannot come into contact with them at the physical level  and cases of fixation of flying saucers will always be real or invented on purpose, so there’s not much interesting.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

This is where the term Flying Saucer came from, it came from a man named Kenneth Arnold

I get your point, but,

I never read arnold called them "flying saucers" but said things close like "skipping disks or stones skipping across water" and the press jumped to "flying saucer"  the press does that like with "mothman" in point  pleasant and "bigfoot" with Wallace and Crews the witness never called them those things

So while the arnold story made the term popular it didnt start there,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_saucer

Lenticular clouds are many times mistaken as ufos  and could have been the catalyst for Arnold's story but there are other things that could have spawned his tale too, im comvinced arnold didnt see anything otherworldly, what he saw that day was a way to placate his needy ego with attention and his pocketbook with profit, when your family says you made up stories i tend to call that a closed case.

• Like 1

Coil wasnt that tulli thing never collaborated as authentic ?

33 minutes ago, the13bats said:

It reminds me of that pendant that kind of looks like an old airplane or a modern jet.

They are obviously fish.  

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

Papyrus was discovered a very long time ago, but representatives of the world of science still can not explain the text written about 3,500 years ago.

Experts are in no hurry to talk about aliens. Perhaps already in those days science fiction writers existed. However, for the sake of justice, it is worth noting that more than a dozen sources tell about the arrival of some creatures.
So far, scientists are not able to explain the images of rockets, flying saucers, etc., carved in ancient times on stones. All devices seem to be technically complex; ancient people could not come up with them.

You see, if all the figures of airplanes  they call them birds, dragonflies or fish, then this is a bad thing even with what they see firsthand.
Well, it’s inconvenient for them, it’s not part of their classical theory of development or visiting aliens. And the ancients depicted exactly what they saw.
If it’s a fish, they accurately captured the fish, and if it’s an airplane, then this can be seen from the honed figure that has excellent aerodynamic characteristics  and the division of the body into a physical compartment and a cabin.

• Confused 1

So can you link to the unbiased lab testing showing it a real artifact?

Arnold sees something that he describes as "moving like a saucer skipping on water"

And thereafter all UFOs are described as saucers.  Even though that's not what Arnold saw.

Either the space aliens changed their designs to fit with popular misconception, or ....... ;)

9 minutes ago, the13bats said:

So can you link to the unbiased lab testing showing it a real artifact?

Alas, it is impossible to prove the authenticity of the papyrus, because it, or rather, its copy, disappeared soon after the death of Alberto Tully. Now everyone is dealing with the translation of Rachevilts and forced to take his word for it. In the Vatican, all the requests of ufologists are always answered that there is no papyrus Tulli in the museum. Zhanfranco Nolly, director of the Vatican Museum, believes that after the death of the professor, the papyrus, along with the rest of the property of the deceased, passed to his brother, Monsignor Augusto Tully.

Skeptics even claim that Alberto Tully found in the Cairo shop not the original papyrus, but the same as his own, a copy. When copying, as you know, random errors may creep in, which can sometimes change the meaning of the text.

However, historians, having analyzed the style and grammar, as well as numerous cross-references to the events of the reign of Thutmose III described in other documents, are inclined to consider it genuine. The author of the fake, no doubt, should have had extensive knowledge of the history and customs of ancient Egypt.
So the style of the papyrus does not imply that it was invented because a person would not have the knowledge to do this.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Coil said:

You see, if all the figures of airplanes  they call them birds, dragonflies or fish, then this is a bad thing even with what they see firsthand.

The problem is, birds, dragonflies and fish have looked like that for tens of millions of years.  Aircraft  only looked like that for a couple of decades.

So what is the coincidence that space aliens used 1960s aircraft.  And not 1920s ones.   Or, indeed, 2120 ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1