Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman films weird bug crawling on the street

UM-Bot

"That is indeed the eastern dobsonfly," said Lyle Buss from the University of Florida's Insect Identification Lab. "That bug is not doing very well."

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/336905/woman-films-weird-bug-crawling-on-the-street

I think as the insects start coming out and people see them more than before, there are going to be a lot more questions 'what is this'. 

• Thanks 1

Gee, I almost feel sorry for that poor bug. :cry:

Edited by cathya
  • Like 1

It's a male dobsonfly. Pretty gnarly looking critters. 

Edited by Not Your Huckleberry
  • Like 1

Reminds me of the time late 80s my buddy gets me to take me to his gfs house because she said some big nasty bug was after her,

Here is a web pic of same type,

whip2.jpg.2710a2a3e55e439234617fdf4908a557.jpg

So im all jazzed up and when i see it its huge, almost as big as my hand we assume its deadly, i safely grab it take it home, this was pre internet i had to hit the library,

Turns out its a whip scorpion or vinegaroon,

They are pretty much harmless to humans they just look nasty, the tail whips around no stinger, but i learned the hard way how they get the name vinegaroon they spray a concentrated vinegar and if you arent expecting it or know about it its rather jarring,

I released it after a few days,

• Like 1

Ew. That's one nasty looking bug! No thank you.

I recognize that bug. It has already been posted as weird-looking bug at least twice here during the past years I think.

Edited by fred_mc