Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
19_Kilo

Why is ADHD so over-diagnosed in the U.S.?

79 posts in this topic

19_Kilo

Many parents and psychologists are slapping clinical psychiatric disorder labels on kids simply for common behavior like restlessness and high activity levels. Worse, they often force medication on them that in a normal juvenile brain can cause serious and long lasting side effects...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/side-effects/201710/adhd-is-now-widely-overdiagnosed-and-multiple-reasons

• Like 5

sci-nerd

Normally a diagnosis is the path to treatment, but when diagnoses become industrialised, something has gone awry. We have the same problem in Denmark.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

GoldenWolf
47 minutes ago, 19_Kilo said:

Many parents and psychologists are slapping clinical psychiatric disorder labels on kids simply for common behavior like restlessness and high activity levels. Worse, they often force medication on them that in a normal juvenile brain can cause serious and long lasting side effects...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/side-effects/201710/adhd-is-now-widely-overdiagnosed-and-multiple-reasons

There is probably a lot children born to tweaker parents.

• Like 1

onlookerofmayhem
56 minutes ago, 19_Kilo said:

One reason I contend is a big factor is the concept of what is "normal." Such as behaviors that are productive and not detrimental to society or life in general. 

There is no such thing as a "normal" person.

Sure, we are all similar in many different ways, but behaviorally there is a huge spectrum of what humans do and what they could possibly do.

Children start out as blank slates that get filled as they grow up.

Nobody is born with a full set of social and behavioral skills. They learn them as time goes on.

I completely agree with the position that these disorders are way too often diagnosed in children. It's an attempt to nip an issue in the bud instead of waiting to see how they turn out by the time they reach adulthood. It may be too late by then.

Personally, I think it's sometimes a way for adults to attempt to attain a child that is cured of their "issues" through chemistry and not education or therapy.

Other times it is a correct diagnosis. 

Granted the drugs can have a positive effect on certain individuals, but it's a slippery slope as to determine who does or doesn't need pharmaceutical help.

With tens of millions of children, everyone is looking for an easier/better way to assimilate into society and hope a diagnosis and treatment is the best way to help such a transition. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19_Kilo

This is gonna sound harsh but it has just been my experience: I'm guessing a majority of cases where parents claim their kid is ADD are in single parent families. In such circumstances their is often a lack of supervision as well as at least some l even of acting out by the kid. Some frustrated and overwhelmed single moms find it easier and more digestible to think little Johnny has a legit psych issue rather than admit she doesn't have the parental skills to properly supervise him.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

onlookerofmayhem
6 minutes ago, Piney said:

ADD is actually a evolutionary advantage to hunters who have to pay attention to their entire surroundings. Some Asians and Native Americans groups actually teach their children how to use it. 

That's what I mean when I say there is no "normal."

Depending on your station in life you need a skill set for particular things.

What may be detrimental to one individual may be an asset to another. 

I have a feelings if most of the genius inventors, painters, thinkers etc., could be analyzed in person today there would be a lot of disorders diagnosed. 

It doesn't mean that you can't live a healthy, productive life. You just have to play with the cards you are dealt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19_Kilo
6 minutes ago, Piney said:

ADD is actually a evolutionary advantage to hunters who have to pay attention to their entire surroundings. Some Asians and Native Americans groups actually teach their children how to use it. 

Sounds like you're confusing ADD with hyper-vigilance. The latter being a common symptom of PTSD. 

• Like 1

Piney
3 minutes ago, 19_Kilo said:

Sounds like you're confusing ADD with hyper-vigilance. The latter being a common symptom of PTSD. 

That's part of it. But Algonquian children are taught to "splatter their vision" and there was a study done.

https://www.healthline.com/health/adhd/evolution#1

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

aztek

money

• Thanks 3

Piney
56 minutes ago, 19_Kilo said:

This is gonna sound harsh but it has just been my experience: I'm guessing a majority of cases where parents claim their kid is ADD are in single parent families. In such circumstances their is often a lack of supervision as well as at least some l even of acting out by the kid. Some frustrated and overwhelmed single moms find it easier and more digestible to think little Johnny has a legit psych issue rather than admit she doesn't have the parental skills to properly supervise him.

When I was still a practicing "Medicine Man" a woman brought me her obese little monster chewing on a Little Debbies and said she was looking to control him. I told her she needed to clean up his diet and get him into a sport he liked.

She then said she wanted a herb because "it was easier to give him a pill". I told her to toss off. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

19_Kilo
45 minutes ago, Piney said:

That's part of it. But Algonquian children are taught to "splatter their vision" and there was a study done.

https://www.healthline.com/health/adhd/evolution#1

Ok..I see what you meant. You're saying that the behavior and seeming lack of attention that some people THINK is ADD is actually an inherited vestigial psychological trait that served us well when we were hunter-gatherers back on the Savannah.  I can agree that might be the case for some. I myself have all the traits they mentioned that are caused by that gene in your linked article. I too was mis-dx'd as "hyper" back in 6th grade. They tried to give me Ritalin.  Wow. You know what that does to normal brains,  right? It's basically speed. So after a few doses the doc realized I was normal. Whatever that means. LOL 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tatetopa
50 minutes ago, 19_Kilo said:

It does sound a little harsh in the sense that I don't think it applies to single moms only.

Fragment society into nuclear families with little support and interaction with kin.

Stuff a kid full of sugar for breakfast.

Take him to the babysitter / school where kids are taught to sit still and be quiet.

Eliminate recess and PT because they are viewed as frills and kids need to learn to sit still be quiet and take instructions.

Send them home to eat a sugary snack, soda, chips and cookies and go play video games in their room because parent/ parents are busy cooking, cleaning, not home from work yet or too tired to interact. and no other family nearby.

If there are two parents, they both need to work so the situation does not improve much.

Listen to the spiel from the drug companies, they have a solution for everything.  Drug em up, keep em quiet.  Can't have the parents as workers being distracted and unproductive because of their kids.

And even the kids are doing their part in society by being consumers of drugs and worthless prepared foods. 

Sound too harsh?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Piney
Just now, 19_Kilo said:

They tried to give me Ritalin.  Wow. You know what that does to normal brains,  right? It's basically speed. So after a few doses the doc realized I was normal. Whatever that means. LOL 

My mother had them give it to me for my autism. What a mess. :hmm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

19_Kilo
Just now, Piney said:

When I was still a practicing "Medicine Man" a woman brought me her obese little monster chewing on a Little Debbies and said she was looking to control him. I told her she needed to clean up his diet and get him into a sport he liked.

She then said she wanted a herb because "it was easier to give him a pill". I told her to toss off. 

A former client of mine when I was a fitness trainer was a PhD woman who claimed to have cured several mis-dx'd ADD cases by doing just that..cleaning up their diet. She even wrote a book on it. You could too!

• Like 4

Piney
4 minutes ago, 19_Kilo said:

A former client of mine when I was a fitness trainer was a PhD woman who claimed to have cured several mis-dx'd ADD cases by doing just that..cleaning up their diet. She even wrote a book on it. You could too!

Nope, the rules say I'm not allowed to profit in any way shape or form. I don't charge to teach Shorin Ryu boxing either. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

spartan max2
1 hour ago, Piney said:

That's what I was going to mention.

The reason ADD is now an issues is simply because we expect people to sit in class and at desk all day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19_Kilo
4 minutes ago, Piney said:

Nope, the rules say I'm not allowed to profit in any way shape or form. I don't charge to teach Shorin Ryu boxing either. 

You're like a Bodhishvatsa. :tu:

• Like 1

Piney
Just now, 19_Kilo said:

You're like a Bodhishvatsa. :tu:

Sohei, "Keeper" is the English translation. A Bosatsu (Bodhisattva) is a metaphor for one's aspects. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19_Kilo
5 minutes ago, Piney said:

I'd love to learn some Shorinryu. I got a couple dozen lessons on Krav Maga from a Mossad guy that we worked with in Fallujah. Turned out I knew enough to get certified and teach it here when I got back to the States. Not so much a humble-brag, mind you, as it's a comment on the very mediocre or even sorry level of most US Krav Maga instructors. I never charged for classes but just supplemented my personal training sessions with it for interested clients.

Peace.

Piney
Just now, 19_Kilo said:

I'd love to learn some Shorinryu. I got a couple dozen lessons on Krav Maga from a Mossad guy that we worked with in Fallujah. Turned out I knew enough to get certified and teach it here when I got back to the States. Not so much a humble-brag, mind you, as it's a comment on the very mediocre or even sorry level of most US Krav Maga instructors. I never charged for classes but just supplemented my personal training sessions with it for interested clients.

Peace.

Krav Maga sucks! ask @'Walt' E. Kurtz :lol:

They pulled my stepfather's father out of the internment camp to teach the Marines Shorin Ryu. It was their staple unarmed combat up until Nam. 

Your from Texas. Do you know Major Jason Norwood?  

• Like 1

spartan max2
Posted (edited)

To get on my soap box for a minute.

When I worked with residential kids alot of them where medicated. They would see the resident psychiatrist for 15 minuets once a week and from that short visit the psychiatrist prescribed meds. 

I've always been uncomfortable with medicating children. I'm not against it in all situations but I think we should be more careful with it.

But what did I know I was just the Social worker who actually saw the kids for 5 hours every day :whistle:

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

'Walt' E. Kurtz
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Piney said:

Krav Maga sucks! ask @'Walt' E. Kurtz :lol:

They pulled my stepfather's father out of the internment camp to teach the Marines Shorin Ryu. It was their staple unarmed combat up until Nam. 

Your from Texas. Do you know Major Jason Norwood?  

@piney

The problem is there's many types of Krav Maga Military (the best)even for  law enforcement, and civilian. The civilian km can be an ok system depending on the instructors and if they concentrate on real life attacks and situation and spar much. It would work better If they taught the real deal the military version. I have practised civilian km with good instructors for 6 years and it was fun  but to me boxing is now a better alternative. 

Edited by 'Walt' E. Kurtz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Big Jim
2 hours ago, 19_Kilo said:

I agree with the first part but I don't think it's the single mother driving the issue, it's just that they're more likely to be in "the system" than two parent families.  The single parent may be seeking help for a number of issues, with behavioral problems being only one of them.  But once the professionals are involved they suggest all kinds of therapies and medications because that's what they do.  I think doctors often feel a need to do something, anything, and prescribing a medication is easier for them than actually taking the time to educate someone on improving their parenting skills.  So as I see it, it's not the parent claiming their kid has ADD so much as they don't dispute it when given the diagnosis.

As another thought, I think we live in a society where it has become fashionable to have a disease.  There is a constant stream of ads on TV promoting drugs by promoting diseases.  They give each one an acronym, because in our texting world they have also become fashionable.  They give a list of symptoms and then say if you have only one of these you could have IMSIK and should be taking Curall.  Naturally, you don't want to be the last one on your block to have IMSIK so you ask your doctor, as the ad suggests, and he doesn't want to turn you away without appearing to do something so he prescribes Curall.  It's only a coincidence that his clocks, calendars and stationary are all imprinted with the Curall logo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1