Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery cubes with inscriptions in UK river

Still Waters

A magnet fisherman out with his two young sons at a river in Coventry reeled in almost 60 mysterious cubes thought to show a sacred numerical inscription.

Will Read found the haul of engraved lead squares – believed to be connected to a mystical Hindu prayer ritual – while out sifting through shallow water.

The faces of the objects, small enough to hold between finger and thumb, are set into neat grids with inscriptions thought to be in Sanskrit.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/mystery-60-peculiar-cubes-inscriptions-18232422

Update:

The mystery behind strange cubes pulled out of a Coventry river continues to deepen after those who found them revealed there could be 40 more to find in the city.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/people-searching-40-mystery-cubes-18244024

• Like 4

Hindu river offerings, there's a big community in Coventry, the real mystery 'Magnetic Lead'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

39 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I wonder if they are for divination or a game?

Prayers..... and contaminating the water with lead oxide. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Piney said:

contaminating the water with lead oxide. 

My thought exactly.

Religion does not give anyone the right to put things in our waters which do NOT belong there.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

My thought exactly.

Religion does not give anyone the right to put things in our waters which do NOT belong there.

We have snakeheads thanks to Vietnamese weddings. 

• Like 2

I thought they were gonna be type set dies, but no the prints not reversed, my dad had a bucketful, he would melt them for the lead,

They pics appear to have rust hence iron.

Magnet fishing is a big trend some places but many tall tales are exposed when the item claimed to have been found isnt magnetic,

We, tina and i do it but mostly are dirt pirates ( metal detectors )  couple days ago in our yard found all kinds of junk, old lock, trunk parts. Tools, this place been here over 100 years,

Likely lots of coins but havent had the free time to go nuts,

• Like 4

I was wondering the same thing at first. If you read closely though, he found them by the expedient of looking down into the water, not fishing them out with a magnet.

Edited by Oniomancer
  • Like 3

No wonder the British fishing industry went down because they use/d magnets instead of nets.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Update:

Someone has been fly tipping printing blocks for some kind of product that has Indian writing on?

They are quite lucky to have seen the stuff in the river, it's quite murky when you do magnetic fishing.

They found a lot of WW2 artifact with magnetic fishing in Britain and Europe, like bombs, guns and ammunition. Most of the time is trash but it's possible to find surprising items.

My son have a metal detector and it's a bit of the same trick. Lots of nails, spoons, melted aluminum can, etc. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 19_Kilo said:

Something smells fishy here.

Forgive the pun.

Pb is not ferrous, hence non-magnetic. 

BTW, never heard of a magnet fisherman before.

Sounds to the uninitiated as if the fisherman is fiishing FOR  magnets. 

Since trout fisherman fish for trout, tuna fisherman for tuna....ad infinitum.

Cheers.

There are many magnet fishers around the rivers and canals. 

My husband has a water magnet, as do many boaters, but its for finding things dropped in. 

Some will magnet fish along the canals to find bits of metal, jewellery etc. Its like using a metal detector, but in the water.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 19_Kilo said:

Cheers.

Yeah, it sounds weird but it is a thing. You see quite a bit on metal detecting forums. It's basically dangling a magnet into the water, dragging it along the bottom and hoping for something nice and shiny on the end when you reel it back in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

There are many magnet fishers around the rivers and canals. 

My husband has a water magnet, as do many boaters, but its for finding things dropped in. 

Some will magnet fish along the canals to find bits of metal, jewellery etc. Its like using a metal detector, but in the water.

Just beat me to it! :lol:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

They are quite lucky to have seen the stuff in the river, it's quite murky when you do magnetic fishing.

They found a lot of WW2 artifact with magnetic fishing in Britain and Europe, like bombs, guns and ammunition. Most of the time is trash but it's possible to find surprising items.

My son have a metal detector and it's a bit of the same trick. Lots of nails, spoons, melted aluminum can, etc. 

When i got tina into the hobby she went deep, she grabbed a top end water proof detector and after she figure out its zillion settings and can read it she can pretty much tell you what the item likely is, gold jewerly or coin etc

I dont use discriminate settings on mine a different make model so for example on daytona shes digging up a silver dollar a foot or so deep and im digging up a kids hot wheels collection 2 ft deep.

• Like 3

On 5/13/2020 at 6:49 PM, 19_Kilo said:

Something smells fishy here.

Forgive the pun.

Pb is not ferrous, hence non-magnetic. 

Cheers.

fishing with magnets

51 minutes ago, Brassboy86 said:

I'm just really confused as to how he pulled up lead with a magnet. What am I missing here?

I'm just really confused as to where you have read he pulled up the cubes with a magnet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2020 at 2:27 AM, toast said:

I'm just really confused as to where you have read he pulled up the cubes with a magnet.

"A magnet fisherman out with his two young sons at a river in Coventry reeled in almost 60 mysterious cubes thought to show a sacred numerical inscription." 

10 hours ago, Brassboy86 said:

"A magnet fisherman out with his two young sons at a river in Coventry reeled in almost 60 mysterious cubes thought to show a sacred numerical inscription." 

On 5/14/2020 at 5:01 AM, Oniomancer said:

I was wondering the same thing at first. If you read closely though, he found them by the expedient of looking down into the water, not fishing them out with a magnet.

• Thanks 1

I've just found an update.

An eminent Sanskrit teacher based in India has shed more light on the haul of mysterious lead cubes that were found in a Coventry river.

Dr Vijay Rajopadhyay revealed that the inscribed objects are ‘mystical numerological diagrams’ used to channel cosmic power and keep the forces of a destructive planet at bay.

Mr Rajopadhyay responded after a magnet fisherman out with his two sons found 60 of the ‘magic squares’ in the River Sowe, which he was able to pick up with his hands in shallow water.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/mystery-cubes-found-coventry-river-18281762

• Like 1