Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

200 escaped goats hoof it through San Jose 

Still Waters

Nature is healing, and in some parts of northern California, nature is revolting.

About 200 goats broke through a fence in San Jose and briefly stormed the streets of a residential neighborhood on Tuesday evening, in clear violation of social distancing guidelines as well as the state shelter-in-place order.

The goats had been coming by to eat through the vegetation on a hill in the neighborhood for the past 12 years, Zach Roelands, 23, a neighborhood resident who captured the madness on video, said.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/13/goats-escape-san-jose-video

• Haha 2

Who keeps 200 goats?  Those were a mixture of domestic goats.  Was there a rash of getting baby goats and then setting them free in the hills when they grew up?  Weird.

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Who keeps 200 goats? 

Goat farmers, obviously.

There's been a big trend lately in producing goat's milk, which is relatively low in lactose, and goat cheese. Guy near me has around 160 head and even sells goat's milk gelato.

As the article stated, they also use them for brush control. In some places they rent out herds to go in and keep the grass down where they can't get in with mowers.

• Like 1

When I was growing up we had goats.  They are smart and can wreak havoc if you forget that.  We never had more than 4 at a time though.  My mom trained her first goats like dogs and showed them at the state fair.  Everyone was amazed that she could get them to stand just right and stay still.  :lol:  Everyone else would set the feet one foot at a time, my mom would pick them up and drop them so that they landed with their feet in the right place.  She had been showing Poodles for years by then and treated the goats the same way.