Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wisconsin strikes down stay at home order

OverSword

The Wisconsin Supreme Court has overturned the state's stay-at-home order, ruling it "unlawful" and "unenforceable" in a high-profile win for the state's Republican-led Legislature.

In a 4-3 decision Wednesday, the court ruled that Democratic Gov. Tony Evers' administration overstepped its authority when the state Department of Health Services extended the order to May 26.

The ruling comes after the Legislature's Republican leaders filed a lawsuit last month arguing the order would cost Wisconsin residents their jobs and hurt many companies, asserting that if it was left in place, "our State will be in shambles."

The suit was filed specifically against state Department of Health Services Secretary-designee Andrea Palm and other health officials, who made the decision in mid-April to extend the state's "Safer at Home" emergency order. At the same time as the extension, the state loosened some restrictions on certain businesses, including golf courses, public libraries, and arts and crafts stores.

But the justices wrote in their decision Wednesday that "an agency cannot confer on itself the power to dictate the lives of law-abiding individuals as comprehensively as the order does without reaching beyond the executive branch's authority."

Link

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Oh brother.  So now wasting a month and all that money on a law suit helps who???? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I believe they are in a personal agenda political motivated rush to open things too soon, i believe it will backfire hugely costing lives and further hurting economy and i hope as hard as i can im wrong.

• Like 5

I saw pictures of people in Wisconsin eating and drinking at restaurants and bars like back in the olden days. I'm seriously thinking of taking a vacation there to see the sights and enjoy social experiencing for a week or so. My lame ass state (Michigan) has that pro-lockdown Governor getting national attention. Hail WisconSIN the SIN capital (bye, bye Vegas). 

But in more seriousness, I think we have enough data now to say this virus is bad but 'not that deadly' either. Our hospital systems have the capacity to allow us to open up more than we are. This virus is not going to be eradicated or have a universal vaccination for at least a year or two or more. What is the best response?

Weren't experts saying that perhaps 50% of the population will get infected by this virus and that lock-downs are just to flatten the curve so that the hospital systems can keep up with demand. I hear of big coronavirus facilities operating nearly empty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I believe they are in a personal agenda political motivated rush to open things too soon, i believe it will backfire hugely costing lives and further hurting economy and i hope as hard as i can im wrong.

I think they are doing what they think their constituents want.  It is inescapable that cases/hospitalizations and deaths will rise.  The point is that the SAME situation will exist for as far into the future as anyone can guess.  We just have to find a system that minimizes the chaos.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, and then said:

I think they are doing what they think their constituents want.  It is inescapable that cases/hospitalizations and deaths will rise.  The point is that the SAME situation will exist for as far into the future as anyone can guess.  We just have to find a system that minimizes the chaos.

It looks more like another skirmish in the war between "republicans" and "democrats" to me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, and then said:

We just have to find a system that minimizes the chaos

Yep, its just a mess, and we are in it together,

Stay safe one and all

• Like 4

The point of lock down was supposed to be to slow the spread of CV in order to strengthen our ability to treat it without the system being overloaded.  I believe it's time to start getting out there and see if  the infrastructure is capable.  I know in my own state  there are plenty of empty beds in the hospitals and I don't believe it's feasible to wait until there is a vaccine.  Looking forward to see how bad it gets in the states that are opening, and wishing them good luck.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

I want to make the point to people that this ruling is a good thing REGARDLESS of if you agree with lockdowns or not.

The executive branch (governors and presidents) should not have unilateral power to shut every aspect of society down. That sort of power should always have to go through the legislator for proper checks and balances. The executive should not be able to move elections, tell what businesses and school are allowed to operate, when we can go outside, etc. 

Everything that is happening currently is unprecedented, which means that we set the precedent for future generations on what is legal and what is not. 

Restore proper checks and balances, and then if your legislators do something you do not agree with (like ending lockdowns) vote them out. That is the healthy way to balance power in a democracy. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

A lot of places are reopening, including the Jersey Shore. This will be interesting considering the massive crowds the shore draws in the summer. With the restrictions, I see chaos developing. Especially if the locals start to turn on the out of state visitors that are really where they make the money. They will surely flock there. I guess by July we'll have an idea of how this will all turn out. Every year I go with friends but we haven't booked any thing this year. We have until July to book for Labor Day. I think this year we will just go with a day trip or two if we go at all. 

https://abc7ny.com/jersey-shore-beaches-reopen-coronavirus-nj-new/6181332/

• Like 1