Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Woman killed by adopted pet 'French bulldog'

49 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Still Waters

A suburban Chicago woman was fatally mauled by what local officials say was a French bulldog that she recently adopted that had been bred to fight, authorities said.

Lisa Urso of Ingleside, Illinois, was found unresponsive on the patio of her home on Saturday. Investigators said that she died from an attack from one of her three dogs. The 52-year-old woman had a second French bulldog, which was found with some blood on it, and a border collie.

“I hate to say it, but unfortunately, it was a vicious attack,” Lake County Coroner Dr. Howard Cooper said. “You don’t really think about it happening with a smaller dog breed, but we forget animals can be powerful,” he said. “This animal has a lot of jaw strength.”

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/05/14/woman-fatally-attacked-her-french-bulldog-chicago/5188626002/

https://nationalpost.com/news/chicago-woman-mauled-to-death-by-the-french-bulldog-she-rescued

  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney

Confiscated fighting dogs should just be put down. :hmm:

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute
14 minutes ago, Piney said:

Confiscated fighting dogs should just be put down. :hmm:

Yep!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye

I dunno, I'm giving the canine a benefit of doubt, I'm thinking the little old lady was down unconscious or worse before the dog got over anxious over her... 

~

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I dunno, I'm giving the canine a benefit of doubt, I'm thinking the little old lady was down unconscious or worse before the dog got over anxious over her... 

Fighting dogs in the American ghettos are extemely inbred and many of the bulldog breeds have undersize skull problems. The pain keeps growing until they go nuts.

And just how exactly is 52 "old"? :angry:

Edited by Piney
Where's the red paint?
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye
3 minutes ago, Piney said:

And just how exactly is 52 "old"? :angry:

"senior" old... 

:D

ain't no Spring chicken young, old... 

~

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
Just now, third_eye said:

ain't no Spring chicken young, old... 

Still taking 20 somethings apart, old. :devil:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye
Just now, Piney said:

Still taking 20 somethings apart, old. :devil:

Kindly please put that chainsaw down ...

~

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
Quote

she recently adopted that had been bred to fight, 

.

said the dog was likely a mix of a French bulldog and other breeds, but that officials had no way of knowing for sure.

"It looks very similar to a French bulldog, but it is very large," she said

Very dangerous to take a mix bred dog which was bred to fight.

It had already bitten her boyfriend in the past.

I love animals and I love dogs, but not all dogs are mans best friend. 

Very sad way to find out a very bad mistake was made in getting that dog.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the13bats

52= senior, little old lady,

Bats 55 didnt think he would feel more down today,  :hmm:

Rates up there with when step daughter saw pic of me at about 30 and said "OMG, you USED to be hot!"

 

  • Haha 7
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
micahc

one article said the dog was about 55 lbs which is much bigger than a French Bulldog according Wikipedia. It said French Bulldogs are 28 lbs according to breed standards.  I doubt this was  a pure breed and most likely a pit bull breed.  there were bites on the legs, torso and arms.  looking at a photo of a French bulldog any bite to a human torso would have to be when the person is lower to the ground. at 55 lbs that would make a fairly standard sized dog, and would have no problem biting that high.  we really need to do something about the pit related breeds. go visit your local shelter website, or just randomly visit shelter websites in the US and you will see pages of these breeds and usually zero of others. people get them for the wrong reasons and then abandon them when they start causing issues or worse.  I love animals but humans have really messed up this group of breeds.  they don't even look like they did 100 years ago.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orphalesion

A Frenchie trained/bred as a "fighting dog" ? 

That's pretty much the same as a Pug being raised as a fighting dog. I mean yes, unfortunately every dog breed can be brutalised into being agressive, but I have trouble imagening a French Bulldog to be physically strong enough to cause harm. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
Posted (edited)

French bulldogs aren't fighting dogs, if it bit you pick it up by the scruff of the neck and give it a shake, the collie is more likely to be responsible, maybe she had a fit and it freaked out the three dogs, even big dogs like rottweilers can't fight, that's not to say they wouldn't attack another dog but if that dog bit back hard it would turn and run, self preservation, that's what's missing from the bull x terrier types.

Edited by hetrodoxly
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tcgram
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, the13bats said:

52= senior, little old lady,

Bats 55 didnt think he would feel more down today,  :hmm:

Rates up there with when step daughter saw pic of me at about 30 and said "OMG, you USED to be hot!"

 

Heck, I turned 53 a couple of months ago.  Had I realized I'm now considered a senior, I would have been asking for my senior discount at places!!   :P

 

Forgot to add: my 18 yr old saw a picture of me at 17 and said, "You look pretty much the same, but older."   Duh.    
 

Edited by tcgram
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
5 hours ago, micahc said:

I doubt this was  a pure breed and most likely a pit bull breed

It was not a pure bred,  I also suspect the woman did not know  what it was either.

From the article: 

Quote

"It looks very similar to a French bulldog, but it is very large," 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
4 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

A Frenchie trained/bred as a "fighting dog" ? 

That's pretty much the same as a Pug being raised as a fighting dog. I mean yes, unfortunately every dog breed can be brutalised into being agressive, but I have trouble imagening a French Bulldog to be physically strong enough to cause harm. 

It was not a  French bulldog. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
micahc
Posted (edited)

Lake County Animal Care and Control officials shared details Wednesday on the dog believed to have killed its owner Saturday in Ingleside. 

The dog that attacked Lisa Urso, 52, is a 55-pound French bulldog-bulldog mix named Blue, according to Animal Care and Control spokeswoman Hannah Goering. She said in early April Blue was first reported to Animal Control by Urso as a pure French bulldog but Animal Control officials later categorized the dog as a French bulldog-Bulldog mix. More

I think Bulldog mix is what it was. Not French. The lady had another French Bulldog which she was holding in a picture in one of the newspapers.  I think people started assuming that was the dog.  The one she was holding was clearly a small French bulldog, not 55 lbs.

Edited by micahc
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
micahc
Posted (edited)

none of the articles really explain the cause of death. Numerous cuts on legs, arms, and some on the torso is all I saw. so did she bleed to death?  there were no bites on the neck reported anyway.  three dogs can pack up and react aggressively in a  frenzy if one attacks or is something sets them off.  maybe the woman had a seizure of some sort.  they said the attack started inside and she made it outside to the patio where she collapsed and died.  I am just trying to picture it, and I don't see it. maybe an artery was cut but idk.  

edit:  found one article that said she was bleeding heavily when she made it to the porch. also the dog was referred as a bulldog shorty by one dog expert which she said is not a breed name, just how they describe a bulldog like this one.  this same dog bit her boyfriend in the shoulder apparently a few weeks ago and he had to have stitches. this lady went and got him after the mandatory quarantine.  so this dog had issues, and did not limited himself to grabbing feet.  

Edited by micahc
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
openozy

While we keep dogs there is always going to be attacks on humans,sometimes fatal,there always has been.The benefits dogs bring to us far out ways these tragedies.I've seen a clip of a pure French bulldog chasing two bears out of the yard so they are a game type dog.My hunting line Parson Russell(14lb) kicked the ass of the dog in my avatar(pitbull/Am bulldog 75lb)because he went near the terrier's whippet girlfriend,so never underestimate the fight in a little dog,once committed to the fight it's do or die.I agree with Piney that ex fighting dogs should be put down,they maybe ok with humans but it's not fair to risk the chance of them killing other people's pets if they get out,and dogs sometimes do.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
openozy

I know a guy who keeps two Caucasion shepherds in a compound around his property,he carries a sidearm,not for criminals but in case his dogs are in a bad mood, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, openozy said:

I know a guy who keeps two Caucasion shepherds in a compound around his property,he carries a sidearm,not for criminals but in case his dogs are in a bad mood, lol.

Hey Dude!!! I know you didn't mean to take her out, if you need some place to hide, I have room here in Korea. Just let me know what you plan to do, and brush your teeth real good, and rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide that will render any sample s found untestable. :gun:

Oh and by the way, don't worry about the Korean Diet, they don't eat Bulldogs here so your safe.:D

Peace dude and keep your head down  and your leg hiked, that always make them look the other way. ;):yes:

Edited by Manwon Lender

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
openozy
1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

Hey Dude!!! I know you didn't mean to take her out, if you need some place to hide, I have room here in Korea. Just let me know what you plan to do, and brush your teeth real good, and rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide that will render any sample s found untestable. :gun:

LoL

 

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

Oh and by the way, don't worry about the Korean Diet, they don't eat Bulldogs here so your safe.:D

Peace dude and keep your head down  and your leg hiked, that always make them look the other way

Peace to you also Manwon,I hear the chow chow's are a bit more tender.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
6 hours ago, openozy said:

While we keep dogs there is always going to be attacks on humans,sometimes fatal,there always has been.The benefits dogs bring to us far out ways these tragedies.I've seen a clip of a pure French bulldog chasing two bears out of the yard so they are a game type dog.My hunting line Parson Russell(14lb) kicked the ass of the dog in my avatar(pitbull/Am bulldog 75lb)because he went near the terrier's whippet girlfriend,so never underestimate the fight in a little dog,once committed to the fight it's do or die.I agree with Piney that ex fighting dogs should be put down,they maybe ok with humans but it's not fair to risk the chance of them killing other people's pets if they get out,and dogs sometimes do.

As the saying goes, 'It's not the size of a god in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog' I've kept working Jack Russells all my life and you have to protect them from themselves, KC recognition isn't that long ago and still used widely for what they were bred for, Pitbulls at one time were the most human friendly dogs there could be, just like the English  Bullterrier and Staffordshire Bullterrier, their downfall was when they got into the hands of thugs and people who just didn't know how to give them discipline, this thing about abusing them to get them to fight isn't true, i know we'd like to think it was why they fight but it's the complete opposite,they're given the best food available, trained like supreme athletes and made to feel like they're invisible, you shouldn't be allowed to own more than one dog if you have a pitbull and trained on how to separate a dog that's latched on to another, you never know when a dog might fight, i bred a litter of JRT pups and kept two back at six months the b**** pup hated her mother and given any opportunity would try and kill each other, though the mother had never showed aggression to another dog she hated her pup, the pup went to a friend who said she's fine with other dogs, two years pass and we meet at a show and on first sight they try to attack each other.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
openozy
1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

I've kept working Jack Russells all my life and you have to protect them from themselves,

Good to know there is another terrier man on here.I had two other working jack russells,both ended up getting killed by Eastern brown snakes as I live near a creek in the bush here,the Parson knows how to handle them,he's more jumpy and careful.My Jack b**** was the meanest dog I've owned with other dogs and animals,my pig dogs gave her a wide berth,yet gentle as a lamb with humans.Always had staffs and pits,I found the pits the last dog to start fights and were good with my cats and other farm animals.I found the Jack russells to be very jealous, even when ratting, so only used one at a time.I still believe the working terrier to be the gamest dog breed, gamer than even the fighting breeds.They have started to be watered down now and some of the show bred terriers are just lap dogs,not many can handle a true working terrier these days and I can sort of relate as I'm getting older,lol.I never liked the idea of using dogs for fighting,even though they wouldn't exist if they weren't,seems like a waste of a very intelligent, loyal and awesome canine.I just quoted you on that line as it is a full time job trying to protect the terriers,with deadly snakes about it's almost impossible.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
58 minutes ago, openozy said:

Good to know there is another terrier man on here.I had two other working jack russells,both ended up getting killed by Eastern brown snakes as I live near a creek in the bush here,the Parson knows how to handle them,he's more jumpy and careful.My Jack b**** was the meanest dog I've owned with other dogs and animals,my pig dogs gave her a wide berth,yet gentle as a lamb with humans.Always had staffs and pits,I found the pits the last dog to start fights and were good with my cats and other farm animals.I found the Jack russells to be very jealous, even when ratting, so only used one at a time.I still believe the working terrier to be the gamest dog breed, gamer than even the fighting breeds.They have started to be watered down now and some of the show bred terriers are just lap dogs,not many can handle a true working terrier these days and I can sort of relate as I'm getting older,lol.I never liked the idea of using dogs for fighting,even though they wouldn't exist if they weren't,seems like a waste of a very intelligent, loyal and awesome canine.I just quoted you on that line as it is a full time job trying to protect the terriers,with deadly snakes about it's almost impossible.

Very much my own sentiments, it's a good job jack russells are small, if they were the size of Rottweilers you'd have to call the army out.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.