Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
19_Kilo

The science behind ghost sightings...

471 posts in this topic

acute

Please give some context.  A lot of UM'ers won't blindly click on a link.

• Like 8

Alchopwn
12 hours ago, 19_Kilo said:

It is a good article actually.  It covers things like entering dream states while we are awake, padedoilia, and I saw the gorilla.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

acute
Posted (edited)

Why did they mention the gorilla before you've watched the video?  It doesn't work that way.

Idiots.

Edited by acute
  • Haha 3

Alchopwn
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, acute said:

Why did they mention the gorilla before you've watched the video?  It doesn't work that way.  Idiots.

I couldn't agree more.  That was undoubtedly the worst thing about the article.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Haha 1

acute
4 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

I couldn't agree more.  That was undoubtedly the worst thing about the article.

I watched that video years ago, when they said "count the passes", and I didn't see the gorilla.

Flagging the gorilla beforehand is the best way to ruin the surprise.

• Like 2

Alchopwn
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, acute said:

I watched that video years ago, when they said "count the passes", and I didn't see the gorilla.

Flagging the gorilla beforehand is the best way to ruin the surprise.

Again, I agree.  I also saw the video years ago, and I can affirm that despite being clued in to the way psych studies fool you, I still got fooled back then.  This time, the surprise was ruined for other people by the huge telegraphing headline, as you say.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1

XenoFish

So the article is basically some of the stuff that I've had to repeat since 2014.

• Haha 1

papageorge1

The article says nothing that anyone significantly interested in ghosts has not heard before. It tells me another thing I already knew too; that a lot of science writers would rather bypass the more challenging cases and experiences.

• Confused 1

XenoFish
32 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

The article says nothing that anyone significantly interested in ghosts has not heard before. It tells me another thing I already knew too; that a lot of science writers would rather bypass the more challenging cases and experiences.

That's where psychology and neuroscience comes it. Psychosis being a good example of "ghost" sighting. But, heaven forbid with all the anecdotal "evidence".:rolleyes: 

• Thanks 1

papageorge1
Just now, XenoFish said:

That's where psychology and neuroscience comes it. Psychosis being a good example of "ghost" sighting. But, heaven forbid with all the anecdotal "evidence".:rolleyes: 

Well I was referring to ghost evidence like normal certain witnesses, multiple witnesses, photos, videos, physical phenomena, etcetera that imply things beyond known science and explanations in that article.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Horta
On 5/17/2020 at 11:40 AM, 19_Kilo said:

Excellent article.

It's common with paranormal experiences for people to be convinced because they think what they perceive sensorially is always a faithful reproduction of the external world. Seems to be a belief that only people with mental problems hallucinate, misperceive or misinterpret things and cognitive mishaps only happen to these people. Nothing could be further from the truth of course. Sensory information and our experiences have to be interpreted by the brain before we get them. Not only can it be wrong but part of what we perceive normally is simply put there by the brain in an effort to either save resources or try to make sense, without being based on sensory input.

Certainly throws a different light on the "paranormal". Fascinating topic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

stereologist
On 5/17/2020 at 9:15 PM, papageorge1 said:

Well I was referring to ghost evidence like normal certain witnesses, multiple witnesses, photos, videos, physical phenomena, etcetera that imply things beyond known science and explanations in that article.

Your post contains a glaring contradiction. You claim "photos, videos, physical phenomena" and you state also "beyond known science and explanations"

These are clearly contradictory statements. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

papageorge1
4 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Your post contains a glaring contradiction. You claim "photos, videos, physical phenomena" and you state also "beyond known science and explanations"

These are clearly contradictory statements. 

There can be physical evidence but the cause is beyond current science’s understandings. Where’s the contradiction?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

stereologist
Just now, papageorge1 said:

There can be physical evidence but the cause is beyond current science’s understandings. Where’s the contradiction?

If there is physical evidence then it can be studied by science. But so far there is no such evidence. Once again you made up the claims of physical evidence and had zero idea that you were writing a contradiction.

Your claims of "beyond known science" are idle speculation based on a poor understanding of science.

• Like 2

papageorge1
17 minutes ago, stereologist said:

If there is physical evidence then it can be studied by science. 

If a chair goes flying what can science study after the event?

• Haha 1

the13bats
21 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

There can be physical evidence but the cause is beyond current science’s understandings

Fred, look at my ghost picture,

i dont see any ghost joey,

sure, that bright smokey looking glare to the right, thats a ghost,

Joey, thats a lens flare,

No. No, no...you just wait someday science will see that for what it really is a ghost.

500 years later,

Repeat above back and forth with two new players.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

XenoFish
1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Ugh, this again. If there is no evidence of it actually flying, did it even fly. And reminds me of another member and his constant "poltergeist" claim. Even the people who moved into his old house had ZERO paranormal experiences. So once again you have nothing, then again, you never did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

papageorge1
Just now, XenoFish said:

If there is no evidence of it actually flying, did it even fly. 

Multiple credible witnesses or video evidence would make me think it did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

XenoFish
1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Multiple credible witnesses or video evidence would make me think it did.

You always think it's paranormal. I could almost win bets off of it. 

I could bet someone a $100 that you'd rank something over 50% paranormal and win 99.9999999% of the time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

stereologist
9 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

This is an argument from personal ignorance.

Even blinded acupuncture testing is possible which showed that  it does not work. The no-needle worked as well as the needle.

Your claim is the following: "Well I was referring to ghost evidence like normal certain witnesses, multiple witnesses, photos, videos, physical phenomena"

If there is physical phenomena then it can be studied. First off, if this did happen, this would be a reactionless event.

• Like 2

papageorge1
2 minutes ago, stereologist said:

This is an argument from personal ignorance.

Even blinded acupuncture testing is possible which showed that  it does not work. The no-needle worked as well as the needle.

Your claim is the following: "Well I was referring to ghost evidence like normal certain witnesses, multiple witnesses, photos, videos, physical phenomena"

If there is physical phenomena then it can be studied. First off, if this did happen, this would be a reactionless event.

So, how do you study that chair movement AFTER the spontaneous unpredictable event?

• Like 2

the13bats
7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

So, how do you study that chair movement AFTER the spontaneous unpredictable event?

You dont, zero zip zlitch to study, it goes back to fred claims furniture flies thru the air at his house, claims its happened many times, fred even claims Gretchen has seen it too ( Gretchen isnt here )

Unbiaed investagator "joey" says wow, cool ill come study it, if fred doesnt just kill it by saying no to the research then fred blusters how it doesnt work like that he doesnt know when it wil happen again,  he might toss in some bs about how only the open enlightened can see it.

Fred camps out 2 weeks in freds house, sees zero paranormal, but once during the investagation fred  comes running up to joey yelling you just missed it in some other room,

Joey sets up in that room, zero zip zlitch,

After a couple weeks joey leaves and on his way home gets a text from fred that it just happened again.

Not much different that janice carter and her living with bigfoot claims, she saw them basically daily, a whole family, then russian bigfooter Igor Burtsev goes stays with her a few weeks and you guessed it zippo.

Evern the co writer of carters book saw zero and basically called carter a looney fraud.

Face it papa blind faith is only enough for you and perhaps a few other dear true believers.

Nothing to study=waste of time and money

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stereologist
27 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Why not study the event before, after and during the spontaneous unpredictable event?

You probably have no idea what this is about: "First off, if this did happen, this would be a reactionless event." 

• Like 1

stereologist
9 minutes ago, the13bats said:

You dont, zero zip zlitch to study, it goes back to fred claims furniture flies thru the air at his house, claims its happened many times, fred even claims Gretchen has seen it too ( Gretchen isnt here )

Unbiaed investagator "joey" says wow, cool ill come study it, if fred doesnt just kill it by saying no to the research then fred blusters how it doesnt work like that he doesnt know when it wil happen again,  he might toss in some bs about how only the open enlightened can see it.

Fred camps out 2 weeks in freds house, sees zero paranormal, but once during the investagation fred  comes running up to joey yelling you just missed it in some other room,

Joey sets up in that room, zero zip zlitch,

After a couple weeks joey leaves and on his way home gets a text from fred that it just happened again.

Not much different that janice carter and her living with bigfoot claims, she saw them basically daily, a whole family, then russian bigfooter Igor Burtsev goes stays with her a few weeks and you guessed it zippo.

Evern the co writer of carters book saw zero and basically called carter a looney fraud.

Face it papa blind faith is only enough for you and perhaps a few other dear true believers.

Nothing to study=waste of time and money

I'm assuming that this is not one of those cases of being told a stupid lie that some fools fall for every time.

I mean some people fall for these dumb lies no matter how dumb the lies are. 

We have had right here at UM a poster claiming that an armoir flew across the room and he showed a photo of where it crashed. He forgot that he also posted a photo on another site showing the armoir in its original position which was right where the ding dong knocked it over. It did not fly across the room as claimed. He knocked it over and claimed it flew across the room.

Now some extremely gullible people would have taken the story as told, but that is a foolish thing to do.