Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did men evolve beards to help absorb punches?

UM-Bot

2 minutes ago, Stiff said:

I guess the same would apply in the genital regions too. I'm glad I don't shave there.

A good front snap kick to the groin is going to hurt shaved or not shaved... I don't think many walk away after a good kick, saying "hahaha boy am I glad I didn't shave today" 

Just my theory and I am not going to try it... Not sure my hairdresser would be be up for it also? I might drop a hint to her next time I see her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

That study is nonsense. Men didn't evolve beards to help absorb punches, and anyone who has ever boxed will understand where I'm coming from. In boxing, beards were mostly banned by governing bodies because they tend to disguise potential facial damage, get in the way and cause other more mundane problems. The idea that they provide a cushion for the chin is frankly silly, plenty of men sporting major chin-wigs have been knocked into next week. It's just a ludicrous myth in pro-fighting that beards offer some kind of protection from big shots. Most governing bodies do not have bans on beards, though some require them to be of a certain length for other reasons, such as them being potentially abrasive in a clinch, it's more hygienic for them to be short, etc. 

• Like 5

Combination of many things which apply to most living creatures e.g. polar bears, monkeys.  Hair is produced as a source of thermal insulation.  Sensitive skin and excess body oils also produce hair, and we also have sweat glands which are ripe for hair growth e.g. similar to weeds growing in damp areas.  Our skin is like a living garden.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UM-Bot said:

A new study has suggested

Yeah right. Seems like those, who got that silly idea, has forgotten the concept og getting laid.

Prehistoric women preferred men with beards, so they mated with them. It's as simple as that. Maybe it was because beards hide ugly faces...? Or more likely, they add masculinity to the face.

It's the same with boobs. They are not big to make more milk, but because men like them!

• Like 4

Protecting from bites to the neck could be a thing but sexual trait is more the thing...

Edited by Jon the frog

Where does a hairy chest fit into this equation, 4 top buttons on the shirt undone and a gold medallion sitting on a hairy chest sends women wild, they scream and run when they see me coming.

• Haha 4

Everything leads to John... Travolta... 

[00.03:16]

~

• Haha 4

This is too much information but for some reason I'll ask here... Does there exist a manscaping trimmer that DOESN'T decide to randomly nick and yank hairs out of your yam bag? 

It's like playing Russian roulette. Except with your nuggies. And you don't die. 

• Haha 2

omg

i feal dummr j'st reeeding thiz...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 19_Kilo said:

Absurd.

We didn't evolve beards. We evolved facial hair because we evolved body fur because we evolved into mammals.

Maybe the question should be: why do women have little or no facial hair compared to men?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 19_Kilo said:

I hope you're not serious with that. 

Of course I am.

16 minutes ago, 19_Kilo said:

Prehistoric men had beards because the concept of shaving was unknown. As were the tools for doing so.

That's double BS. Of course there were tools for shaving. Maybe not for a tight shave, but sharp stones could remove most of it.
And, prior to that, when we lost most of our fur in mutations, there were probably some males born without genes for facial hair. They didn't make it "for some reason" :rolleyes:

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Haha 1

To test this idea, researchers created an analog of a human jaw with beard hair and then dropped weights on it to see how much of a difference the hair actually made to the damage inflicted.

Did women do this research or was it men or the LGBT community?

What an absolute load of tosh.

Men in the past did have weapons and am sure they could throw a punch to the ribs or a kick to the meat and 2 veg.

How the heck could a beard evolve to absorbs punches? Do the researchers think that is all men did, punch each other in the face? 

The question is:

Where did these researchers evolve from? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

How the heck could a beard evolve to absorbs punches?

Once it hits that evolutionary point, it start to fight back. Soon beards with throw punches.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Once it hits that evolutionary point, it start to fight back. Soon beards with throw punches.

Like the one brain cell from the cavemen days coming back to be the main brain cell in a  researcher in beards? 

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

Like the one brain cell from the cavemen days coming back to be the main brain cell in a  researcher in beards? 

I thought cavemen had 3 brain cells, hunt, eat, and "grunt". :whistle:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I thought cavemen had 3 brain cells, hunt, eat, and "grunt". :whistle:

The researchers do not need the hunt and grunt cells,  thats real men with beards stuff.

God gave man a mane just like he gave a lion, it doesn't mean all women like it, I find beards pretty nasty.. they're absolutely disgusting looking when too long and I can't help but imagine there is vermin or some sort of insects living in them because they look like a big dirty smelling nest sitting on your face.. and most men aren't the cleanest.. . but to each his own. 

• Like 1

Can't hurt to give it a go right?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNWAPhwG3Js0z_eUlAHC-

Maybe there is something to this theory. 

Revised Homo Erectus.....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQv6AArMZJlPvpbbY68T2t

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I tend to think this is rubbish also. If it were true, men would have beard hair over many areas of their body.

Beards evolved due to colder climates, and stuck around due to sexual preferences.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 9:06 PM, UM-Bot said:

A new study has suggested that men's beards have a distinct practical purpose beyond simple ornamentation.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/337049/did-men-evolve-beards-to-help-absorb-punches

I think men developed beards for the same reason they developed mustaches. The purpose of both of them is simple, they serve as flavor savers, so you never forget a good time!!!:tsu:

☮ ✌ Peace

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2020 at 9:41 PM, Stiff said:

I guess the same would apply in the genital regions too. I'm glad I don't shave there.

Come on dude, your not a manscaper?:D

Peace