Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A call for an end to solitary confinement

Still Waters

New research from The University of Queensland has called for an end to solitary confinement in Queensland prisons because of the impact on the mental and physical health of prisoners.

The multidisciplinary report was co-authored by Law School researcher Professor Tamara Walsh, Director and Principal Solicitor of Prisoners' Legal Service (PLS) Helen Blaber and a team of UQ students and PLS volunteers.

The report found many Queensland prisoners are held in solitary confinement for extended periods, some for years, while prisoners with mental health conditions receive inadequate treatment.

Professor Walsh said this was concerning as solitary confinement causes severe, sometimes-permanent psychological harm and worsens pre-existing mental health conditions.

https://phys.org/news/2020-05-solitary-confinement.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The true test of a society is how it treats its most vulnerable members.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nevermind, happy fingers got me.  I thought this was about taking a stand against my state's Governor's latest coronavirus executive order!! 

47 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

The report found many Queensland prisoners are held in solitary confinement for extended periods, some for years, while prisoners with mental health conditions receive inadequate treatment.

Some people need to be in solitary. I almost killed two candidates in prison myself........actually one might of died. They don't tell you anything except when they are charging you and they were both cases of self defense so I wasn't charged. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, 19_Kilo said:

Vulnerable?

As in the victims of violent criminals were vulnerable to predation by those types who usually get solitary confinement? 

I've always been pro Capital Punishment, but at the same time felt that that's the easy way out. I think lifetime solitary confinement like we have in our SuperMax Federal Prisons here in the U.S. is a much worse punishment than a quick painless death. It should be more of a deterrent. 

But in the case of violent criminals who have been convicted of murder and sentenced to life, we need to enhance that sentence a bit. The convicted should have to spend his time in his 8x10 looking at home videos, pics, etc. of his victim(s) on their birthdays, graduations, marriages, etc. As well as video testimonies of the vic's family and friends on how much they miss him.

16 hours a day.

Someone like Ed Kemp?

Those professors of law have never served time in the custody of the State.

Ad Seg is what they call it around here, and sometimes, it can save a man's life.

On 5/19/2020 at 6:34 AM, bison said:

The true test of a society is how it treats its most vulnerable members.

Quite right. We keep the animals away from the vulnerable members of society.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 7:23 AM, 19_Kilo said:

Vulnerable?

As in the victims of violent criminals were vulnerable to predation by those types who usually get solitary confinement? 

I've always been pro Capital Punishment, but at the same time felt that that's the easy way out. I think lifetime solitary confinement like we have in our SuperMax Federal Prisons here in the U.S. is a much worse punishment than a quick painless death. It should be more of a deterrent. 

But in the case of violent criminals who have been convicted of murder and sentenced to life, we need to enhance that sentence a bit. The convicted should have to spend his time in his 8x10 looking at home videos, pics, etc. of his victim(s) on their birthdays, graduations, marriages, etc. As well as video testimonies of the vic's family and friends on how much they miss him.

16 hours a day.

I always flip flop on capital punishment. I agree there are violent horrible monsters that don't deserve any mercy from us,  However i think we should use their death in a useful manner instead of just letting them rot. Something i have always thought is why don't we send em to the moon to build some helium-3 mines or colonies. Much like they did with the convicts in early Australian history only this time let the punishment fit the crimes. Create some progress and let their lives not be a complete waste give them a choice between a lethal injection/life imprisonment or expanding our civilization. Idk probably haven't thought it through enough but just my two cents.

On 5/23/2020 at 7:36 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Quite right. We keep the animals away from the vulnerable members of society.

Sadly no shortage of animals.  

6 hours ago, Ironside said:

I always flip flop on capital punishment. I agree there are violent horrible monsters that don't deserve any mercy from us,  However i think we should use their death in a useful manner instead of just letting them rot. Something i have always thought is why don't we send em to the moon to build some helium-3 mines or colonies. Much like they did with the convicts in early Australian history only this time let the punishment fit the crimes. Create some progress and let their lives not be a complete waste give them a choice between a lethal injection/life imprisonment or expanding our civilization. Idk probably haven't thought it through enough but just my two cents.

...interesting. I remember Chopper Read wanted to create a punishment battalion where the most violent and dangerous were incorporated into the army and sent on suicidal missions and other endeavours where their "natural talents" would shine. 

• Like 1