Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The odds of intelligent life emerging ?

17 minutes ago, UM-Bot said:

A new study has calculated the most likely odds of life, as well as intelligence, emerging on other worlds.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/337075/what-are-the-odds-of-intelligent-life-emerging

I think that anyone who can't except the fact that life can and most likely has developed on other planets within a Universe as large as ours must be sadly confused. The fact that all the necessary things that accrued here that made life possible, only shows that it is not unique in our Universe, and it doesn't take deep thought, or mathematical equations to prove it. It only takes common sense, and a simple understanding of how life occurred here to realize that life must also exist else where.

Peace

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I don't doubt that life exists elsewhere.   Intelligent life is less likely, but probably does.

If not for the Chicxulub asteroid, would dinosaurs have delayed human evolution?   Maybe dinosaurs would still be ruling the planet the past 65 million years.  

Just saying that life doesn't = intelligent life.  

• Like 5

I believe that the chance for the emergence of an intelligent life on other worlds is unfortunately very, very small. The number of evolutionary steps needed to create intelligent life is four. These include the emergence of single-celled bacteria, complex cells, specialized cells allowing complex life forms, and intelligent life with an established language. It's very complex process, so my guess is the odss is 1:99.

• Like 2

People take life's coding system, DNA and RNA, for granted. It's actually neither simple or easy to make. It's never been reproduced in a lab.
It's not just the DNA/RNA itself, it's how the cell uses it, and works with it. I like to compare it all to throwing millions of 3D letters off a cliff, and them landing on the ground, forming a chapter from a specific book. The odds are crazy!

And that's just the first obstacle.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

The odds are crazy!

And that's just the first obstacle

Odds, never tell me the odds kid, It has happened it could have or did or will happen again,

When i see very wise people really beat they fists we are unique in all the vast universe and base much of their arguments on what we have and how we do it i have to wonder in an all due respects way is this a bit ego driven, you know makes us humans that much more special if we are alone.

This thread wasnt about just life but rather intelligent life, you bet its likely rare, and perhaps it was there and gone or wont be there for a million years. A meer snap in the history of the universe,

So i am very comfortable believing lots of life is out there and perhaps some is even intelligent, but i do not believe we, us here now will have first contact.

But with the way 2020 is going i wouldnt be surprised if florida was the setting of alien nation or sector 9

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

Are we positing that humans are intelligent? Are the definition and barometer of intelligence? <Snip>

In my other repliy i didnt clarify that when i mention i feel the denouncing of even the possible of intelligent life is ego driven by some, and i dont mean that as a slam just human nature, we are a very egocentric race, arrogant too.

My gauge of intellect is likely very flawed but for example whales are very intelligent, nope they dont have technology, industries, or cities, they dont even have fire, and they dont need any of that,

So if across the universe is a planet with whale like creatures they are to me intelligent life but they have no needs or desires to come visit Shamu or willy unless it is to ask the monkeys why are you jailing our kin?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, the13bats said:

It has happened it could have or did or will happen again

We know for sure that it happened once, and the ultimate consequence was Trump. The universe must be horrified :D

48 minutes ago, the13bats said:

ego driven

Yes, we are ego driven. It makes us compete, and it is probably the main reason we have the advanced technology we have.
If we had been hive-minded, the protection of the leader, and needs of the flock, would prohibit all advancement.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

I'd say clues point out that we're pretty dense as a species.

what clues are they then?

what yardstick are you using? Is it a fantasy yardstick you're using because I know of nothing to compare our level of intelligence to in order to arrive at your conclusion

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

We know for sure that it happened once, and the ultimate consequence was Trump. The universe must be horrified :D

Yes, we are ego driven. It makes us compete, and it is probably the main reason we have the advanced technology we have.
If we had been hive-minded, the protection of the leader, and needs of the flock, would prohibit all advancement.

Yeah, just imagine first contact and the first human they meet is donny during one of his ranting and raving tweet sessions,

Hive minded worked okay for the borg, lol.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dejarma said:

what yardstick are you using? Is it a fantasy yardstick you're using because I know of nothing to compare our level of intelligence to in order to arrive at your conclusion

Yet, i understood perfectly the point he made loud and clear.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

A new study has calculated the most likely odds of life, as well as intelligence, emerging on other worlds.

My thought is to challenge the assertion that complex life happened on earth or anywhere without the fostering of super-physical intelligence. In that case, the possibilities are endless out there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dejarma said:

Ah, I'm only sharing my take, not presenting it as 'the truth'.... but it's certainly my truth.  I'm questioning the assumption that we're the pinnacle or even a moderate expression of intelligence.  When our behavior species wide, historically and presently categorically seems to belie it.

As for clues... try  https://apnews.com/  or literally any newspaper/news site/youtube/reddit feed/twitter thread/this forum... 

Hundreds of thousands of clues exemplifying our lack of intelligence are written daily by our very own selves.

Or process logically the presence, impact and actions of humans species wide and what it denotes... the impact we have on our own species and those around us and if you find this something demarking intelligence...  then perhaps it's as simple as we hold antipodal definitions of intelligence.

Fear not though, it's a good bet that no amount of facts has ever altered someone's reality tunnel... if you indeed consider humans some mark of the pinnacle of intelligence, you're world view is safe.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

I'm questioning the assumption that we're the pinnacle or even a moderate expression of intelligence. 

it's not my assumption

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Yet, i understood perfectly the point he made loud and clear.

why do you think i didn't understand.... i also understood perfectly but disagree 

• Confused 1

So, we have the news, via a respected source, Physics.org, that established science, using up-to-date mathematical/ statistical methods, finds a 40 percent chance of intelligent life arising on an Earth-like planet. Since it's believed, based on the Kepler Space Telescope data, that there are as many as 40 billion  Earth-like planets in our galaxy, that makes for about 16 billion civilizations.

Astronomer, Dr. David Kipping of Columbia University, bases his 40 percent figure on the facts on the ground, literally; the collective knowledge of how and when life and intelligence arose on this planet. Amazing! No pseudoscience, no 'woo', no wishful thinking. Just the maths, ma'am!  

Edited by bison
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Given near infinite time, and an almost unimaginable number of stars and worlds, even a event of colossal odds will occur all over the place.

To think it can only happen here is way arrogant, IMHO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Dejarma said:

why do you think i didn't understand.... i also understood perfectly but disagree 

My mistake sounded like you didnt get his point...carry on.

1 hour ago, bison said:

So, we have the news, via a respected source, Physics.org, that established science, using up-to-date mathematical/ statistical methods, finds a 40 percent chance of intelligent life arising on an Earth-like planet. Since it's believed, based on the Kepler Space Telescope data, that there are as many as 40 billion  Earth-like planets in our galaxy, that makes for about 16 billion civilizations.

Astronomer, Dr. David Kipping of Columbia University, bases his 40 percent figure on the facts on the ground, literally; the collective knowledge of how and when life and intelligence arose on this planet. Amazing! No pseudoscience, no 'woo', no wishful thinking. Just the maths, ma'am!  

What was his definition of intelligent life.   In comparison, I would use "homo" line (I'm sure there is a better term or class to use".   Able to think, create and use tools, communicate with each other, dominate wildlife around them, invent new useful items and so on. 

If that were part of the definition, It think that 40% is way, way too high.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dejarma said:

it's not my assumption

fascinating.

9 hours ago, Myles said:

I don't doubt that life exists elsewhere.   Intelligent life is less likely, but probably does.

If not for the Chicxulub asteroid, would dinosaurs have delayed human evolution?   Maybe dinosaurs would still be ruling the planet the past 65 million years.  

Just saying that life doesn't = intelligent life.  

Oh yeah, Dinosaurs were stupid right? Then explain THIS genius:

xyhSzBTkNY-6.png.2cab0f91b11757e3eb28bc7d32fc8123.png

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, I'mConvinced said:

Oh yeah, Dinosaurs were stupid right? Then explain THIS genius:

xyhSzBTkNY-6.png.2cab0f91b11757e3eb28bc7d32fc8123.png

he's eating it not reading it;)

• Haha 5