Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tasmanian tiger: newly released footage

Still Waters

Newly discovered footage of last-known Tasmanian tiger released | ABC news

The vision captures 'Benjamin', the last-known surviving thylacine at Beaumaris Zoo in Hobart. Confirmation the video was shot in 1935 makes it the most recent moving images of the animal, after the previous last-confirmed footage was shot in December 1933. 'Benjamin' died in 1937, 18 months after this footage was captured

https://www.theguardian.com/science/video/2020/may/19/tasmanian-tiger-newly-released-footage-captures-last-known-vision-of-thylacine-video

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

So any ideas could they be tamed, were any kept as pets?

14 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Tamed as in they were very placid and didn't react to human presence but I'm not sure if you'd call that tamed. There is anecdotal evidence from Berlin or London that they responded well to or rather had got used to their keepers. But who knows.

What I say about pets is this, if you mean pet in the broadest sense as in kept in private hands outside of a zoo setting, then maybe sort of. But probably not for any prolonged period. I've got instances of captured animals being kept for a few months, and the longest definite period is around 10 months, but they were always either displayed then sold, or just held then sold so personally I wouldn't say that could be seen as a pet, but it comes down to interpretation. If you mean pet as in pet as in companion with whom there's a mutual bond or relationship, definitely not. Though there are some sickly sweet stories out there. 

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I suppose it is possible.  Wolves have been tamed by some who keep them as pets.  Raccoons, skunks too.   My guess is that you'd have to have it from when it was very young.  Probably wouldn't be the same as a house dog.   

It'd be nice to be able to find out.  

• Like 1

Just now, Myles said:

I suppose it is possible.  Wolves have been tamed by some who keep them as pets.  Raccoons, skunks too.   My guess is that you'd have to have it from when it was very young.  Probably wouldn't be the same as a house dog.   

It'd be nice to be able to find out.  

Dad passed in 2014 at 89.

My dad when young and lived on a farm in Arkansas he made his own pets, flying squirrel, possum, raccoon, skunk, etc he was told that a fox couldnt be tamed, as fate had it a small baby fox needed help, dad nursed it and as it grew it trusted him to a point but didnt what he would call bonded to him,

My dad categorized any wild critter that a person tried to make into a pet either a "cat" or "dog" and for him they all fit, except the fox, he said it was catish but not so much so, he ended up releasing it because as he put it, it wasnt a "pet".

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Dad passed in 2014 at 89.

My dad when young and lived on a farm in Arkansas he made his own pets, flying squirrel, possum, raccoon, skunk, etc he was told that a fox couldnt be tamed, as fate had it a small baby fox needed help, dad nursed it and as it grew it trusted him to a point but didnt what he would call bonded to him,

My dad categorized any wild critter that a person tried to make into a pet either a "cat" or "dog" and for him they all fit, except the fox, he said it was catish but not so much so, he ended up releasing it because as he put it, it wasnt a "pet".

I grew up in Missouri.   When I was young, be had a bobcat domestic cat mix as a pet.  I had a sister in law who was afraid to come to the house.   When we moved, we left it there,  It mostly lived off the land.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Myles said:

I grew up in Missouri.   When I was young, be had a bobcat domestic cat mix as a pet.  I had a sister in law who was afraid to come to the house.   When we moved, we left it there,  It mostly lived off the land.  

My dad used to say if you had a dog that was a pet for years and put it out in the woods it would likely starve but stick a cat in the woods and it wont care much and find its own dinner,

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jbondo said:

New footage? I've seen this several times over the past couple years.

Have you? Lots of people are saying that. It was available on one previously unbroadcast reel in the National Film and Sound Archive in Canberra. If you haven't visited there, do you think you might have seen a film simikar to it, say the 1933 Fieay foitage and got them mixed up? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Have you? Lots of people are saying that. It was available on one previously unbroadcast reel in the National Film and Sound Archive in Canberra. If you haven't visited there, do you think you might have seen a film simikar to it, say the 1933 Fieay foitage and got them mixed up? 

I believe most are just mistaking it for the footage that been out all along,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I believe most are just mistaking it for the footage that been out all along,

I think so too. In all fairness though for some reason some of the news outlets are also showing clips from the Fleay film which was taken in similar light from roughly the same position.

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

I think so too. In all fairness though for some reason some of the news outlets are also showing clips from the Fleay film which was taken in similar light from roughly the same position.

To be honest, if I had seen this video without explanation, I would have thought it was part of the same 1933 film.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Myles said:

To be honest, if I had seen this video without explanation, I would have thought it was part of the same 1933 film.

To be even more honest when this footage was first uncovered it was bright and early in Australia but late night in Wales and I was as drunk as. I opened the wrong link and watched half an hour of vintage koala film, twice, while over there they were raving over this new tiger film. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, oldrover said:

Tamed as in they were very placid and didn't react to human presence but I'm not sure if you'd call that tamed. There is anecdotal evidence from Berlin or London that they responded well to or rather had got used to their keepers. But who knows.

What I say about pets is this, if you mean pet in the broadest sense as in kept in private hands outside of a zoo setting, then maybe sort of. But probably not for any prolonged period. I've got instances of captured animals being kept for a few months, and the longest definite period is around 10 months, but they were always either displayed then sold, or just held then sold so personally I wouldn't say that could be seen as a pet, but it comes down to interpretation. If you mean pet as in pet as in companion with whom there's a mutual bond or relationship, definitely not. Though there are some sickly sweet stories out there. 

I have a relationship with a few foxes, Badger, pheasants and a few wild birds that I consider loving and giving... I feed them, they come to my house. I think we both get what we need from the relationship with ought it effecting their wild instinctive behaviour. I love them and they get what they want from me. I can feed them from my hand, however my dogs and their relationship with me is a superglue bond, we share intimate snuggles and cuddles and if I am honest... I don't like to call them pets... I prefer family. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldrover said:

I think people feel they have seen it before because, the film isn't dissimilar to the very few black and white ones that have been around for a while. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

however my dogs and their relationship with me is a superglue bond, we share intimate snuggles and cuddles and if I am honest... I don't like to call them pets... I prefer family. 

Should we be worried?   No peanut butter involved?

Just kidding Ha ha.

• Haha 2

Just now, Myles said:

Should we be worried?   No peanut butter involved?

Just kidding Ha ha.

I did think that as I was writing it.. I knew there would be one that would address it lol 

• Like 1

Just now, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

I did think that as I was writing it.. I knew there would be one that would address it lol 

But seriously, it is great to have a good relationship with a pet.  10 years ago, I decided to go with a small dog.   Always said "I'll never get a big rat as a pet".  Turns out that I will never get a big dog again.  Having him jump on my lap and nap is great.  Never seeing his crap in the yard is great.  Doesn't eat as much.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

But seriously, it is great to have a good relationship with a pet.  10 years ago, I decided to go with a small dog.   Always said "I'll never get a big rat as a pet".  Turns out that I will never get a big dog again.  Having him jump on my lap and nap is great.  Never seeing his crap in the yard is great.  Doesn't eat as much.  

Fully agree, I have always had dogs mainly big dogs but I have dozens of small breeds on my books, breeds I would never have thought about owning and I absolutely adore them, the smaller they are the more love they seem to want to give you.. adorable. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, the13bats said:

I rescued a fox cub from a ledge in a deep vertical mine shaft on a property where I worked.It was only about 3weeks old,my mrs hand raised it for about a month.It would follow her around the paddock,lick her face and sit with the free range chickens.We were wondering what to do with it as they are classed as vermin here.One day when walking it it looked at her and just walked into the bush.We thought it would have died but about 12months later it was sitting with the chooks as an adult fox,not harming them.We would see it time to time for years.Must add we never lost another chook to foxes in this time.

Edited by openozy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Openozy, are you out in the outback away from the big cities?

Here, get ready to laugh, my extent of Australia knowledge comes from,

Mad max films, crocodile dundee 2, yahoo serious, mary and max, wormwood  and a company that builds a corvette kit car that fits on a lorry frame.

However its always been top on my list of other countrys to see.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Myles said:

Haha.  I said the same thing.  I now have a rescue papillon. She’s the best dog ever.  Great watch dog, she thinks she’s a lioness.  She’s a Brave Little  b****. I bet the former has been edited even though it is a correct and appropriate term.  Batch? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

Openozy, are you out in the outback away from the big cities?

Here, get ready to laugh, my extent of Australia knowledge comes from,

Mad max films, crocodile dundee 2, yahoo serious, mary and max, wormwood  and a company that builds a corvette kit car that fits on a lorry frame.

However its always been top on my list of other countrys to see.

Yeah,live in the bush,although I grew up in Sydney I haven't been back for 30 years.Mad Max was a cult following here when I was young with young guys driving around in hotted up car replica's from the movie lol.Paul Hogan from Crocodile Dundee films was a role model for me as a young kid.never heard of Mary and Max though.If you come over Bats you'd should come for a while,there is a lot of diverse country to see from the tropics to mountains and deserts.Sadly I doubt you'd spot a Tassie tiger,but wouldn't mind having a look for one with you.I remember a company that made Porsche kits to fit on a VW bug lol.

Edited by openozy