Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
XenoFish

Enablers

76 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

XenoFish

Something I've noticed over the years is that there are folk who are more than willing to enable another persons delusions.

Why do they do this? 

Do they think they're helping someone?

What would be the point of enabling another persons delusions?

Let's say for example Aunt June is "talking to ghosts."

Person A : You might need to see a doctor Aunt June.

Person B: You are totally connected with the spirit world.

One helps and the other feeds the fantasy. 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iilaa'mpuul'xem
4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

One helps and the other feeds the fantasy. 

Not necessarily... that is your take on the situation.

Aunt Junes belief to her is equally as right to her has your belief is to you.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
1 minute ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Not necessarily... that is your take on the situation.

Aunt Junes belief to her is equally as right to her has your belief is to you.  

Aunt June is either fooling herself or bat s*** crazy.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iilaa'mpuul'xem
3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Aunt June is either fooling herself or bat s*** crazy.

Or you feel you are more superior and what you believe is right. 

You need to be in control of your own head before you judge others?? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
Just now, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Or you feel you are more superior and what you believe is right. 

You need to be in control of your own head before you judge others?? 

So are you willing to enable a persons delusions who is obviously schizophrenic? Instead of maybe suggesting they get help. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

This is no different than telling someone to get a psychic because their 70 year old grandma is talking to people who aren't there. Then you have the "god messengers" and those who feed that delusion. Seriously, are people really that willing to feed the imaginations of people, who more than likely, are either full of it or off their rocker?

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iilaa'mpuul'xem
1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

This is no different than telling someone to get a psychic because their 70 year old grandma is talking to people who aren't there. Then you have the "god messengers" and those who feed that delusion. Seriously, are people really that willing to feed the imaginations of people, who more than likely, are either full of it or off their rocker?

Get your own house in order before advising other? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
1 minute ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Get your own house in order before advising other? 

Are you missing the point? Is this topic that difficult?

Why are people willing to enable something that may have a very negative effect on someone's life? It is that simple. That easy of a question. I know people get all touchy feeling about their beliefs, but fueling some of them can and does have a negative effect on the person in question. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
12 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Not necessarily... that is your take on the situation.

Aunt Junes belief to her is equally as right to her has your belief is to you.  

If auntie June is delusional, encouraging her delusions will not help her

If someone believes they have ghosts in their home, it is better to look at the logical possibilities. 

We have had stories on here about doors opening by themselves, the op is freaked out, instead of freaking them out even more, it is best to let them know what it could be, like wood expanding or contracting, which is something  some people do not know about. 

Her belief is not necessarily going to be a belief to others, especially when there is a logical explanation.

Sometimes people can do with a bit of educating, feeding the fantasy is not educating or helping them. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
16 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Seriously, are people really that willing to feed the imaginations of people, who more than likely, are either full of it or off their rocker?

Yes, if they are like minded with the same beliefs. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd
35 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Why do they do this?

They confirm themselves, is the answer. They don't really care about the mental state of the person in question.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
Just now, freetoroam said:

Yes, if they are like minded with the same beliefs. 

So basically it's an echo chamber effect. I validate you, you validate me. We all get ice cream with Santa in Atlantis.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd
2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So basically it's an echo chamber effect. I validate you, you validate me. We all get ice cream with Santa in Atlantis.

Exactly.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

If auntie June is delusional, encouraging her delusions will not help her

If someone believes they have ghosts in their home, it is better to look at the logical possibilities. 

We have had stories on here about doors opening by themselves, the op is freaked out, instead of freaking them out even more, it is best to let them know what it could be, like wood expanding or contracting, which is something  some people do not know about. 

Her belief is not necessarily going to be a belief to others, especially when there is a logical explanation.

Sometimes people can do with a bit of educating, feeding the fantasy is not educating or helping them. 

 

 

 

 

However, if on the hand the individual is Senile or otherwise mentally deficient, what purpose does it serve, other than cause stress to try and bring the person back to reality. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with allowing a person in that situation to live out what's left their life in a more comfortable and happier time.

Do you see something wrong with that, and if so what do you think is best?

Peace

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd
1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

However, if on the hand the individual is Senile or otherwise mentally deficient, what purpose does it serve, other than cause stress to try and bring the person back to reality. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with allowing a person in that situation to live out what's left their life in a more comfortable and happier time.

Do you see something wrong with that, and if so what do you think is best?

Senile just means old. You mean demented, right? (it's a common mistake)

I don't think xeno is talking about sick brains who are beyond reach, but deluded people, who should be challenged, if one cares about them.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
49 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Something I've noticed over the years is that there are folk who are more than willing to enable another persons delusions.

Why do they do this? 

Do they think they're helping someone?

What would be the point of enabling another persons delusions?

Let's say for example Aunt June is "talking to ghosts."

Person A : You might need to see a doctor Aunt June.

Person B: You are totally connected with the spirit world.

One helps and the other feeds the fantasy. 

 

Is it ever ok to feed someone's fantasies.

Peace

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the13bats
6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Are you missing the point? Is this topic that difficult?

Why are people willing to enable something that may have a very negative effect on someone's life? It is that simple. That easy of a question. I know people get all touchy feeling about their beliefs, but fueling some of them can and does have a negative effect on the person in question. 

Ill play,

Remember the 50s giant rock ufo conventions, 100s perhaps into the 1000s would pay $$$ to go into the desert and melt, most told stories of going with aliens to planets like Venus or jupiter,

And there was a bandwagen effect of high fiving each other, collaborating etc, now there in my opinion isnt a middle ground they were either full of bull or as you put it bat****crazy,

For the most part no one was hurt at those conventions besides perhaps heat stroke.

Then i see people post on here about some paranormal supernatural experence they claim to have, in some cases its interfering with their lives then i see some true believer hop up and suggest they get psychic type help,

To me these people need a psychologist not an exocist and to coddle their delusions could cause them harm or they might harm others but for self centered ego driven reasons the ones promoting paranormal do not care at all if they get a person hurt

This is also gonna be a loaded thread as we both know several people here believe they have special powers and or experiences and their delusions are very real to them and the meer fact we dont believe them with zero proof of their claims is a very insulting calling out, so of course two folks who both believe they saw a ghost, bigfoot can conjure demons wherever will likely team up,  so yeah its a you pat my back ill pat yours idea,

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So basically it's an echo chamber effect. I validate you, you validate me. We all get ice cream with Santa in Atlantis.

Confirmation. We have seen it on here many times, you give the op a logical explanation and they will not accept it as it is  not the answer  they were looking for.

They want confirmation that they have ghosts in their house or they have a special gift, you rock that belief, they will not like it. 

Then along comes the likes of papagG, and the op have found a like minded buddy. 

The pattern of beliefs boil down to the believers hearing, watching or reading about paranormal stories, they stay on the same route, hence why their "experiences" are all very similar if not the same. 

So I ask this:

Is the enabler feeding another persons delusions or are they feeding off each other? 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
Just now, freetoroam said:

Confirmation. We have seen it on here many times, you give the op a logical explanation and they will not accept it as it is  not the answer  they were looking for.

They want confirmation that they have ghosts in their house or they have a special gift, you rock that belief, they will not like it. 

Then along comes the likes of papagG, and the op have found a like minded buddy. 

The pattern of beliefs boil down to the believers hearing, watching or reading about paranormal stories, they stay on the same route, hence why their "experiences" are all very similar if not the same. 

So I ask this:

Is the enabler feeding another persons delusions or are they feeding off each other? 

This is often why I ask what kind of answer a person wants. It allows me to know what I'll be dealing with.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd
3 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Confirmation. We have seen it on here many times, you give the op a logical explanation and they will not accept it as it is  not the answer  they were looking for.

They want confirmation that they have ghosts in their house or they have a special gift, you rock that belief, they will not like it. 

Then along comes the likes of papagG, and the op have found a like minded buddy. 

The pattern of beliefs boil down to the believers hearing, watching or reading about paranormal stories, they stay on the same route, hence why their "experiences" are all very similar if not the same. 

So I ask this:

Is the enabler feeding another persons delusions or are they feeding off each other? 

You nailed it, baby! :wub:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iilaa'mpuul'xem
2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

This is often why I ask what kind of answer a person wants. It allows me to know what I'll be dealing with.

Your kidding... have you read the **** you post in your status updates about your peace of mind.. I wouldn't trust you to feed my dogs never mind accept your opinion.. 

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
4 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Your kidding... have you read the **** you post in your status updates about your peace of mind.. I wouldn't trust you to feed my dogs never mind accept your opinion.. 

You can trust me to feed your dogs, so discuss this topic with me. 

I find it interesting. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
2 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Your kidding... have you read the **** you post in your status updates about your peace of mind.. I wouldn't trust you to feed my dogs never mind accept your opinion.. 

La dee freaking dah cowboy. I posted a very simple question in my opening post. Others have been good enough to know exactly what I was asking. Why is it so difficult for you? And if you have that much of a problem, move on. You have yet to answered my OP. Basically you're not offering anything on topic except criticizing me for asking a few freaking questions.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the13bats
8 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Is the enabler feeding another persons delusions or are they feeding off each other? 

Thats tricky, because i do respect a few people really do believe their story but most times i feel they know they are full of bull, mental issues are low on my list, but some are mental cases, recall that guy on here, thought aliens would abduct and cut him up, ill buy that he believed that hooey because he was bat****crazy. I hope he got professional help.

 

9 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Confirmation. We have seen it on here many times, you give the op a logical explanation and they will not accept it as it is  not the answer  they were looking for

Yep, happening in that thread in crypto, after countless  scientific prosaic replies are ignored paranormal supernatural is the only acceptable possibility. And i bet you know where i stand on it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
2 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Thats tricky, because i do respect a few people really do believe their story but most times i feel they know they are full of bull, mental issues are low on my list, but some are mental cases, recall that guy on here, thought aliens would abduct and cut him up, ill buy that he believed that hooey because he was bat****crazy. I hope he got professional help.

Some of them recount an experience and are willing to actually discuss it with us. Other not so much, they just want validation. Doesn't mean those who listen will change, but the fact they listen and discuss matters. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.