Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

USA did not enrich Uranium for Hiroshima bomb

altitudewarrior

USA did not enrich enough Uranium to build Little Boy 

By March 1945 Oak Ridge had only succeeded in enriching just 16kg of HEU (U235) far short of the 64kg required. The United States had a ponderously slow method for Uranium 235 enrichment known as gaseous diffusion.

By mid 1946 the Haniford nuclear reactor site was suffering a risk of fire from temperature spikes caused by the Wigner effect and had to stop production of Plutonium. As result a small team at Sandia laboratories were tasked to recreate the Little Boy design as an insurance against lack of Plutonium. They were hampered oddly enough by the lack of any drawings or plans for "Little Boy". Eventually in 1947 this team produced just six copies of the little Boy Hiroshima bomb all withdrawn in January 1951.

Francis Birch is credited as the man who developed Little Boy for the Manhattan  Project, yet several aspects of this claim do not ring true. Thin Man

IN EARLY 1943 Birch was appointed to the E-5 Group to build a gun barrel type Plutonium bomb. HE worked on Thin Man design until August 1944, Birch claims to have begun assembly of Little Boy with guns delivered to Los Alamos in October 1944. 

Starting from just 16kg of  HEU in March 1945 Manhattan project could never have furnished 64kg of Highly Enriched Uranium by July 1945.  Given  the K-25 Enrichment plant was only able to enrich 3.5 ounces of Uranium per day by 3-4%. & the Y-12 Electromagnetic separation plant could only enrich 200 grams of Uranium by 12% per day by the  beginning of late February 1945. it is pure fallacy that the Hiroshima bomb was MADE in USA.

Good to know.

what’s your point?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, altitudewarrior said:

it is pure fallacy that the Hiroshima bomb was MADE in USA.

Did the U235 Fairy provide it?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

the enrichment rate proves it. URANIUM WAS enriched too slowly to produce 64kg of HEU for  Little Boy. the enrichment rate is known from archived declassified Oak Ridge records thus can't be refuted. My response is the opposite: if you think Oak Ridge did  enrich 64kg of Uranium for Hiroshima blast when archives say otherwise , prove it

76 zentner_nuclear_weapons.jpg

Not saying it was aliens but.. maybe it was extra terrestrials...

~

• Haha 9

There is a small town in BC called Trail.  There is smelter there run by Cominco.  This is where the heavy water came from for the bombs that were dropped on Japan in WWII.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, altitudewarrior said:

By March 1945 Oak Ridge had only succeeded in enriching just 16kg of HEU (U235) far short of the 64kg required. The United States had a ponderously slow method for Uranium 235 enrichment known as gaseous diffusion.

By mid 1946 the Haniford nuclear reactor site was suffering a risk of fire from temperature spikes caused by the Wigner effect and had to stop production of Plutonium. As result a small team at Sandia laboratories were tasked to recreate the Little Boy design as an insurance against lack of Plutonium. They were hampered oddly enough by the lack of any drawings or plans for "Little Boy". Eventually in 1947 this team produced just six copies of the little Boy Hiroshima bomb all withdrawn in January 1951.

Francis Birch is credited as the man who developed Little Boy for the Manhattan  Project, yet several aspects of this claim do not ring true. Thin Man

IN EARLY 1943 Birch was appointed to the E-5 Group to build a gun barrel type Plutonium bomb. HE worked on Thin Man design until August 1944, Birch claims to have begun assembly of Little Boy with guns delivered to Los Alamos in October 1944. 

Starting from just 16kg of  HEU in March 1945 Manhattan project could never have furnished 64kg of Highly Enriched Uranium by July 1945.  Given  the K-25 Enrichment plant was only able to enrich 3.5 ounces of Uranium per day by 3-4%. & the Y-12 Electromagnetic separation plant could only enrich 200 grams of Uranium by 12% per day by the  beginning of late February 1945. it is pure fallacy that the Hiroshima bomb was MADE in USA.

With the greatest of respect, altitudewarrior, it took me about five minutes to find the evidence to confirm you are incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Ok then where did the fissile material come from?

Peace 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, altitudewarrior said:

the enrichment rate proves it. URANIUM WAS enriched too slowly to produce 64kg of HEU for  Little Boy. the enrichment rate is known from archived declassified Oak Ridge records thus can't be refuted. My response is the opposite: if you think Oak Ridge did  enrich 64kg of Uranium for Hiroshima blast when archives say otherwise , prove it

76 zentner_nuclear_weapons.jpg

Why post a fake / CGI made photo of a Nuclear detonation that photos a fake. But again I ask where your information is coming from?

Peace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Manwon Lender said:

Ok then where did the fissile material come from?

Peace 

Hey I was just about to ask that. <_<

I have a feeling that the answer is going to be Germany. Its allways nazi germany.

1 hour ago, glorybebe said:

There is a small town in BC called Trail.  There is smelter there run by Cominco.  This is where the heavy water came from for the bombs that were dropped on Japan in WWII.  

Actually it didn't. 

From your link: 

In the end, the heavy water produced at Trail was never used to produce the bombs that were dropped on Japan, or even the Trident test bomb that was detonated in the New Mexico desert in July 1945. The Americans ended up finding a cheaper alternative for the needed neutron moderator — hard graphite. But heavy water was sustained as a backup.

Heavy water turned out to be unnessesary in the making of nuclear weapons. Graphite was cheaper and more readily available. Luckily the Germans never realised this and kept thinking it was essential and this is one of many reasons why they never got close to getting the bomb. Although if the OP ever comes back he will probably argue otherwise.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I have a feeling that the answer is going to be Germany. Its allways nazi germany.

Thing is, if it was a known fact that Nazi Germany provided enriched uranium for the bomb, you know the OP would be here saying the Americans did it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The United States had a ponderously slow method for Uranium 235 enrichment known as gaseous diffusion.

You conveniently left out that Oak Ridge also used electromagnetic seperation, thermal diffusion and centrifuges. Why would you not mention that ?

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

Thing is, if it was a known fact that Nazi Germany provided enriched uranium for the bomb, you know the OP would be here saying the Americans did it.

The fact is the Germans never got that far with their attempts of the refinement of Fissile materials, if they had produced a Bomb before they lost the War we all would be living in a different world now. It is a dam good thing they left Hitler in charge until the of the War or we would have been in trouble. 

Peace 

• Like 6

I thought this topic was leading to 'Hiroshima and Nagasaki were secret nuclear sites which had detonated prematurely'.

Fictional scenario.

nuclear.png

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Actually it didn't. 

From your link: 

In the end, the heavy water produced at Trail was never used to produce the bombs that were dropped on Japan, or even the Trident test bomb that was detonated in the New Mexico desert in July 1945. The Americans ended up finding a cheaper alternative for the needed neutron moderator — hard graphite. But heavy water was sustained as a backup.

Heavy water turned out to be unnessesary in the making of nuclear weapons. Graphite was cheaper and more readily available. Luckily the Germans never realised this and kept thinking it was essential and this is one of many reasons why they never got close to getting the bomb. Although if the OP ever comes back he will probably argue otherwise.

No it wasn't Nazi Germany, they never were able to properly refine fissile material. The material that was used in Little Boy was Uranium 235, and the material that was used in Fatman was Plutonium and both were refined in the United States. My question to him was to try and learn what his idea was going to be, even though he is completely wrong there is still something to learn from his comments. 

Peace

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

No it wasn't Nazi Germany, they never were able to properly refine fissile material. The material that was used in Little Boy was Uranium 235, and the material that was used in Fatman was Plutonium and both were refined in the United States. My question to him was to try and learn what his idea was going to be, even though he is completely wrong there is still something to learn from his comments. 

Peace

Its a little known fact is that the uranium was Belgian. The only large scale uranium mine at the time was in Belgian Congo and a lot of the uranium used by the US came from a stock of Belgian uranium stored in a warehouse in New Jersey. Some came from the UK, who had smuggled it out of Belgium just before the Germans arrived. The UK was the first country that had a real nuclear bomb programme, called Tube Alloys, and when they realised they didn't have the spare industrial capacity to make a bomb they handed all the information, and some people, over to the US, who then used it in the Manhattan Project. 

This is plenty interesting without having to spice it up with conspiracy theories.

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 8

7 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

You conveniently left out that Oak Ridge also used electromagnetic seperation, thermal diffusion and centrifuges. Why would you not mention that ?

Because his, uhhh, “research” never got him that far...

—Jaylemurph 

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I have to admit that I made a mistake here, the OP did mention electromagnetic seperation. Sorry.

Still I can't wait to hear who enriched the uranium.

Spoiler

Just kidding, I know its gonna be the Germans.... if the op ever comes back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Germans, eh? Don’t mention The War. I did once, but I think I got away with it all right...

—Jaylemurph 

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Good to know.

what’s your point?

Uhhh... ten plus however many pins fall in the next two rolls

• Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I have to admit that I made a mistake here, the OP did mention electromagnetic seperation. Sorry.

Still I can't wait to hear who enriched the uranium.

Hide contents

Just kidding, I know its gonna be the Germans.... if the op ever comes back.

It could be an Atlantean source. Rupert told me some time ago that one of the favorite breakfast foods of the younger set of Atlantean's was avocado toast sprinkled with U-235 and for the true 'Bohemians' absinthe seeded with Pu-239.

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

absinthe seeded with Pu-239.

I though it was seeded with a Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator? :huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2