Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Antarctica's 'green snow' mapped from space

Still Waters

UK scientists have created the first wide-area maps of microscopic algae growing in coastal Antarctica.

Satellite observations were used to count nearly 1,700 patches where large blooms had turned snow cover green.

The team says the photosynthesising organisms are an important "sink" for pulling carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere.

They are also key actors in the cycling of nutrients in what is one the most remote regions on Earth.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52737603

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Antarctica's 'green snow' mapped from space

Meanwhile temperatures around the globe are cooling off, like snow in the middle of the month of May in Canada.
Stop the BS. The glaciers and ice pack are just moving a few kilometers each year. Historically our planet is cooling off

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, qxcontinuum said:

Meanwhile temperatures around the globe are cooling off,

Then let me see the data which will back your claim.

like snow in the middle of the month of May in Canada.

So you think to have snow in your area at unusual times is an indicator the temperature go down on a global scale? Is your clear name Kathleen Hartnett ?

Stop the BS.

Please do so. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So climate change isn't killing the Earth but instead helping it make more life. This will certainly not be accepted by the Greta, PC, libbie crowd. It is easier to fool someone than convince them they have been fooled.

3 hours ago, thelion318 said:

So climate change isn't killing the Earth but instead helping it make more life. This will certainly not be accepted by the Greta, PC, libbie crowd. It is easier to fool someone than convince them they have been fooled.

I take it you didn't read the article.

Human activities puts ~40 billion tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere each year. These algal blooms will absorb ~500 tons of carbon each year (which is less than 2000 tons of carbon dioxide). These blooms aren't exactly going to suddenly plunge us into another ice age.

Plus, the blooms darken the ice, which makes it absorb more heat, which melts the ice...perhaps it's just as well the total area of these blooms is about two square kilometres over the whole of Antarctica.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, toast said:

So you think to have snow in your area at unusual times is an indicator the temperature go down on a global scale? Is your clear name Kathleen Hartnett ?

No I am not a women... I am a man old enough to have eyewitnesses rivers changing their course, landscapes getting shaped in 40 years to an extend scientists predicted centuries to take place. I remembered 60byears ago, summers beeing so hot  that we could have started a fire just by leaving a piece of glass over a Boulder of hay... but you spoiled brats have no idea about past don' t you? You are just happy sitting indoors reading **** others are telling you forcing you to accept a reality you have no experience or direct contact with. You think you know everything just because you've done your research. You know nothing that is real.  Go out, leave the live, let the winter's wind slap your face and taste the short summer trend. Live the short summer seasons you spoiled brats and then talk. 

Please do so. Thanks.

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, qxcontinuum said:

No I am not a women... I am a man old enough to have eyewitnesses rivers changing their course, landscapes getting shaped in 40 years to an extend scientists predicted centuries to take place. I remembered 60byears ago, summers beeing so hot  that we could have started a fire just by leaving a piece of glass over a Boulder of hay... but you spoiled brats have no idea about past don' t you? You are just happy sitting indoors reading **** others are telling you forcing you to accept a reality you have no experience or direct contact with. You think you know everything just because you've done your research. You know nothing that is real.  Go out, leave the live, let the winter's wind slap your face and taste the short summer trend. Live the short summer seasons you spoiled brats and then talk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

omg I love this !

"We had to go living on a lake" ! 

Now we leave in big cardboard boxes we call homes and pay one million dollars... until the first strong wind that is... wtf happened with brick houses? 

Edited by qxcontinuum

21 hours ago, toast said:

Let me just say, have you checked your data. I've looked at the weather around where I live and found that if we had the media we do today, back in the 30's and 40's we should have been scared ****less with the high temps. Yet in the 70's and 80's we should have been in an ice age. It's not global warming or climate change. Well I guess you could call it climate change because that happens all the time. It's called seasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

No I am not a women... I am a man old enough to have eyewitnesses rivers changing their course, landscapes getting shaped in 40 years to an extend scientists predicted centuries to take place. I remembered 60byears ago, summers beeing so hot  that we could have started a fire just by leaving a piece of glass over a Boulder of hay...

Your own impressions, formed in your backyard, are not of relevance on a global scale.

but you spoiled brats have no idea about past don' t you? You are just happy sitting indoors reading **** others are telling you forcing you to accept a reality you have no experience or direct contact with. You think you know everything just because you've done your research. You know nothing that is real.  Go out, leave the live, let the winter's wind slap your face and taste the short summer trend. Live the short summer seasons you spoiled brats and then talk.

Very often, people with an limited understanding of data collection and analysis and of science in general tend to call people who know about such things as to be some kind of weird. I call that intellectual self-defence without results.

6 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

The article states that the blooms have been recorded since to 60s. It doesn't say they are a result of global warming, it speculates what might happen if the current trend (last 50 years) of warmer temperatures in the area continue. 

On 5/21/2020 at 7:53 AM, thelion318 said:

Not more, different life ! all the thing that we know will be erased for the greater goods of the jelly fish queen !

Squidward and the Queen Jellyfish | SpongeBob New Fanon Wiki | Fandom

Edited by Jon the frog