Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are reports of haunted homes on the rise ?

UM-Bot

Certainly makes sense that more home hauntings will get noticed if everyone is home more. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

In New Mexico, the daily high and nightly low temps are often different by 30-35 degrees (F). Being home coupled with a screwed up sleep schedule has me hearing all sorts of weird noises at all hours as everything expands and contracts. It's creepy, and I could easily see a lot of people attributing such things to 'ghosts'.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

With homes and the fantasy they are haunted, sure people are home more all attention starved so making claims every little bump in the night is beetlejuice just makes silly sense,

Proof? Yeah, sure thing, get lots bats...

• Like 2

I found that a divorce will exorcise the demons in your house.:devil:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

“Symptoms” include feelings of restlessness, irritability, lethargy, and impatience. Often it triggers sleep disorders with people either sleeping too little or too much. Anxious people are likely to become more anxious. Depressed people are likely to become more depressed. People who are extroverted and social, social, social feel upset and stressed. People who are scared of someone they live with walk on eggshells so as not to set off the problem person (who is also irritable and impatient). Some people start to become distrustful, even paranoid, with the people they live with, the people on the news, and the news media itself. 

https://psychcentral.com/lib/coping-with-cabin-fever/ (source)

Also.

https://theconversation.com/what-are-the-effects-of-total-isolation-an-expert-explains-109091

People placed in isolation may also experience hallucinations. The lack of stimuli causes people to misattribute internal thoughts and feelings as occurring in the outer environment. Essentially, hallucinations happen because of a lack of brain stimulation.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Cabin fever huh?

OIP.t1bV-I65AFQAkodMwXDN6AAAAA.jpg.994d790fb23734fe2e7fd9ac82598904.jpg

• Haha 4

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/out-the-ooze/201611/the-perils-social-isolation

Seeing Ghosts

Perhaps the strangest thing that can happen to someone in isolation is the experience of a “sensed presence,” or the feeling that another person—or a supernatural being—is with us.

The vividness of a presence can range from a vague feeling of being watched to seeing a seemingly real person. It could be a god, a spirit, an ancestor, or a personal acquaintance. A famous example occurred in 1933, when British explorer Frank Smythe attempted to climb Mt. Everest alone. He became so convinced that someone else was accompanying him on his climb that he even offered a piece of cake to his invisible partner.

Possible explanations for a sensed presence include the movement of boats (if sailing solo) and atmospheric or geomagnetic activity. Stress, lack of oxygen, monotonous stimulation, or a buildup of hormones can trigger changes in brain chemistry that induce altered states of consciousness. There’s actually exciting new evidence from a research group led by neuroscientist Olaf Blanke that stimulating specific brain regions can trick people into feeling the presence of a ghostly apparition.

From the link.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/out-the-ooze/201611/the-perils-social-isolation

Seeing Ghosts

Perhaps the strangest thing that can happen to someone in isolation is the experience of a “sensed presence,” or the feeling that another person—or a supernatural being—is with us.

The vividness of a presence can range from a vague feeling of being watched to seeing a seemingly real person. It could be a god, a spirit, an ancestor, or a personal acquaintance. A famous example occurred in 1933, when British explorer Frank Smythe attempted to climb Mt. Everest alone. He became so convinced that someone else was accompanying him on his climb that he even offered a piece of cake to his invisible partner.

Possible explanations for a sensed presence include the movement of boats (if sailing solo) and atmospheric or geomagnetic activity. Stress, lack of oxygen, monotonous stimulation, or a buildup of hormones can trigger changes in brain chemistry that induce altered states of consciousness. There’s actually exciting new evidence from a research group led by neuroscientist Olaf Blanke that stimulating specific brain regions can trick people into feeling the presence of a ghostly apparition.

From the link.

Is that an article about @papageorge1?

PapaG, I think I speak for most people on this forum, when I say this: You should get out more :tu:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Is that an article about @papageorge1?

PapaG, I think I speak for most people on this forum, when I say this: You should get out more :tu:

Nothing in that discussion we all haven't heard before. The innumerable strong cases defy such explanations.

Can't get out much when under lockdown.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

The innumerable strong cases defy such explanations.

Present your best one. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Present your best one. 

I don't know which one I call the best one. Already been over enough strong ones on this forum.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Present your best one. 

Keith  :whistle:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Keith  :whistle:

Sorry but there isn't enough laugh emoji's to go around. I think several of us ripped his claim apart. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

Sorry but there isn't enough laugh emoji's to go around. I think several of us ripped his claim apart. 

A Northwest Coast Indian ghost using a Southwestern Indian art style to draw a Eastern Woodland Indian winter count sign that isn't considered spiritual by them. 

What's the problem with that? :o

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Piney said:

A Northwest Coast Indian ghost using a Southwestern Indian art style to draw a Eastern Woodland Indian winter count sign that isn't considered spiritual by them. 

What's the problem with that? :o

Blackbone paint. Yeah, that was spooky and relatively cheap and easy to find. Myself and another member discussed his case privately. I think we both drew the same conclusion. I can't mention it on the open forum because there is only suspicion, no evidence. If you're interested Piney just PM me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Blackbone paint. Yeah, that was spooky and relatively cheap and easy to find. Myself and another member discussed his case privately. I think we both drew the same conclusion. I can't mention it on the open forum because there is only suspicion, no evidence. If you're interested Piney just PM me.

You sent me the link a few years ago. :tu:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Present your best one. 

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

I don't know which one I call the best one. Already been over enough strong ones on this forum.

53 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Figures.:rolleyes:

Yep in the last day or so i asked papa basically the same thing and he copped out on me too,

My guess why he wont post a specific case and just babbles there are on here is because the "haunted/ghost" cases on here all have been well explained and debunked, hence made papa look ridiculous if papa names one its like a um, a "badge of honor" he has nothing except his deep blind belief, so in a weird way its smart he avoids naming a case...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There is a much better chance of seeing a ghost by observing the security cameras inside the empty lobbies, theaters, factories, stations, restaurants, subway platforms, hotels, churches, shops, and offices.  With most public locations closed there is bound to be some sort of activity being picked up on the security cameras.

Edited by Aaron2017
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

The lack of stimuli causes people to misattribute

Err... I totally misread that first time, can you guess what I... Maybe best we don't go there. 

It's a good example of brain trickery (shortcutting) though. 

2 minutes ago, 19_Kilo said:

Perhaps. But I'd offer that it makes even more sense that bored people are more prone to engage in fanciful and entertaining ruses to stick on YouTube. And maybe those folks stuck home and not working also tend to imbibe in the other kind of spirits,  which again is often fuel for engaging in capricious or even downright silly stunts. 

Like the old joke: What six words usually precede someone trying a stunt that ends in disaster?

"Here...hold my beer; watch this!"

That could be part of it as well as people noticing the real paranormal too now that they are home more.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Aaron2017 said:

There is a much better chance of seeing a ghost by observing the security cameras inside the empty lobbies, theaters, factories, stations, restaurants, subway platforms, hotels, churches, shops, and offices.  With most public locations closed there is bound to be some sort of activity being picked up on the security cameras.

We have seen them, its bugs.