Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
and then

Egypt and Ethiopia to fight over a dam?

RoofGardener

Frankly my dear, I don't give a Dam ! :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

RoofGardener

Joking apart: the Egyptian armed forces would absolutely flatten Ethiopia. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Piney
1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

In less than a week.....

• Like 3

Captain Risky
12 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

IMO what Egypt should worry about first is flattening the left over Muslim Brotherhood in Libya first. when they secure their western border they should turn their attention south.

RoofGardener
34 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

IMO what Egypt should worry about first is flattening the left over Muslim Brotherhood in Libya first. when they secure their western border they should turn their attention south.

Hmmm... I'd hardly suggest that Libya is a major threat to Egypt ? Having their water supply cut off - or at least diminished - is a major threat however ? 

Ethiopia will back down. It has no choice. 

• Like 1

Captain Risky
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmmm... I'd hardly suggest that Libya is a major threat to Egypt ? Having their water supply cut off - or at least diminished - is a major threat however ? 

Ethiopia will back down. It has no choice. 

I think you’ll find that the Muslim Brotherhood was ousted from power in Egypt. The very same that wanted the ban bananas least women get sexually tempered  while making fruit salad. No real difference to ISIS. They are more of a threat than petty squabbles over water rights, IMO.

Edited by Captain Risky
  • Like 1

Buzz_Light_Year

Reminds me of something Anwar Sadat said something to the effect that the only reason Egypt would have to go to war would be over water.

Found a reference for the statement.

The Nile Basin
Three prominent Egyptian leaders in the last half century predicted water wars in Egypt. In 1979, Anwar el-Sadat said that water was “the only matter that could take Egypt to war again.” In 1995 Egyptian World Bank official, Ismail Serageldin said “Many of the wars this century were about oil, but those of the next century will be over water.” In 1988 Egyptian diplomat Boutros Boutros-Ghali said, “The next war in our region will be over the waters of the Nile, not politics.”

https://foreignpolicy.com/2011/05/05/the-future-of-water-wars/

• Thanks 2

and then
15 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Reminds me of something Anwar Sadat said something to the effect that the only reason Egypt would have to go to war would be over water.

Found a reference for the statement.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2011/05/05/the-future-of-water-wars/

Meanwhile, the Israelis are creating much of their own with desalination plants.  If any nation in that area is going to keep up with the needs of an ever-increasing population, they're going to have to find ways to make seawater potable.

• Like 1