Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

England moves to 'opt out' organ donation

Still Waters

All adults in England will be automatically considered organ donors from today, unless they opt out, after a change in the law.

A new system is now in force whereby all those over the age of 18 who are not in any excluded groups will have effectively agreed to donating their organs when they die.

People can still decide not to donate, and family consent will be required for organs to be retrieved.

A similar law was introduced in Wales in 2015, while Scotland is due to have the same scheme in place by autumn 2020. Northern Ireland still has an opt in system.

https://news.sky.com/story/england-moves-to-opt-out-organ-donation-system-after-change-in-law-11991497

• Like 4

I think everyone should be organ donors when they die, unless they have died of a disease.

I can see some religious people opting out, which is ok  as long as they never ask for an organ themselves.

If someone has a belief or even a fear of having an organ transplant , then they have a right to not want to donate themselves, but the law has to be that those who opt out, do not recieve. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I think everyone should be organ donors when they die, unless they have died of a disease.

I agree and I think most people would be if not for the nonsensical fear of 'but what if I'm not dead for real?'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

what if I'm not dead for real?'.

Hopefully the surgical team will check the heart has stopped beating before removing it. 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

I wonder if "in a band in the 80's" is an excluded group? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

Northern Ireland still has an opt in system.

Opt-out organ donation can't happen in Northern Ireland, for a while anyway, because a sectarian (on either side) won't risk giving one of the 'enemy' a new lease of life.

Sad but true. :hmm:

Edited by acute
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I feel uneasy that you have to opt out. the state now having the automatic right to your organs without consent by default.

But then I don't think I'll opt out because I can't be bothered. So obviously not a massive issue, but there's something that doesn't sit right when the state claims automatic right. On the fence in a way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Opt out and then have your relatives offer to sell them to the state when you die :tu: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

I feel uneasy that you have to opt out. the state now having the automatic right to your organs without consent by default.

But then I don't think I'll opt out because I can't be bothered. So obviously not a massive issue, but there's something that doesn't sit right when the state claims automatic right. On the fence in a way. 

I understand that but if I die and my organs can save someone, child or adult, I would be happy with that, I am leaving beyond a shell, with a few working tools... I would rather the tools went to good use but I get what you are saying but its not the state that claims your organ, its a 5 year old accident victim.. having said that, they wouldn't want my nervous system, heart, liver and pancreas and my brain would really put them in a dark place.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Hopefully the surgical team will check the heart has stopped beating before removing it. 

Party pooper.

2 hours ago, stevewinn said:

I can understand being uneasy if there was no option to opt out, but as it stands, it's still your choice. And the right to your organs is not without consent. The hospital requires your family's consent before they retrieve them. There's an interesting psychology to opt-in organ donation (one that adversely impacts the number of donations) and it is hoped that the implementation of the opt-out system might make organ donation seem like less of a big deal and an easier concept to buy into. 

8 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I agree and I think most people would be if not for the nonsensical fear of 'but what if I'm not dead for real?'.

You will be after the removal of yuor hesrt.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

You will be after the removal of your heart.

Oh, are you a doctor now?

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, acute said:

Oh, are you a doctor now?

From the school of hard knocks (to the head).

• Haha 2

Good.

On 5/20/2020 at 9:00 PM, Still Waters said:

All adults in England will be automatically considered organ donors from today, unless they opt out, after a change in the law.

A new system is now in force whereby all those over the age of 18 who are not in any excluded groups will have effectively agreed to donating their organs when they die.

People can still decide not to donate, and family consent will be required for organs to be retrieved.

A similar law was introduced in Wales in 2015, while Scotland is due to have the same scheme in place by autumn 2020. Northern Ireland still has an opt in system.

https://news.sky.com/story/england-moves-to-opt-out-organ-donation-system-after-change-in-law-11991497

This is a huge infringement on civil liberties.

Luckily for me I opted out 5 years ago.

3 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

This is a huge infringement on civil liberties.

Luckily for me I opted out 5 years ago.

How? What civil liberties do you have when you're dead?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They keep your physical body alive so the organs will be viable when they harvest them.  I have read quite a few NDE descriptions where the people said they could look back and see what was going on with their body.  ln fact some people said they were attached by a fine silver cord to their body and as long as they were still attached they could go back to it and wake up.  

They hook you up  machines and keep your body alive until a team of surgeons all harvest your organs together.  

2 hours ago, Peter B said:

How? What civil liberties do you have when you're dead?

The state does not own my body.

It would be interesting of how much alive you are when you are clinically dead. I'm talking about the unconscious side of your body. Not sure that you are fully dead before all your cell are. How much time it take to all your cell to die ? It can take a while I think, people got waked up after been clinically dead a while. If your body is all dead, it's not possible because you cannot kick on the function of each cell, just the hearth and it can be in good shape after 20 minutes and more...

Edited by Jon the frog

21 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

It would be interesting of how much alive you are when you are clinically dead. I'm talking about the unconscious side of your body. Not sure that you are fully dead before all your cell are. How much time it take to all your cell to die ? It can take a while I think, people got waked up after been clinically dead a while. If your body is all dead, it's not possible because you cannot kick on the function of each cell, just the hearth and it can be in good shape after 20 minutes and more...

Alive stem cells can still be found in a corpse weeks after.

Stem Cells dont require oxygen, thats why woman are able to have children too before the foetus has hooked into her via an umbilical cord. In fact, its the lack of oxygen that makes stem cells produce heart tissue, arteries, and veins, in the foetus.

But back to the OP, the state does not own its people. A better approach would have been to have a nationwide census asking to say yes or no to organ donation.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

The state does not own my body.

They still can not just disect you, they will still need permission from your family. 

You will still need to let your family or put in your will what you decided on prior to your death.

If you did not bother to opt out, you will need to hope the people who now have to arrange your burial (because you will not be able to do that yourself) fight your case..

The easiest  thing to do is opt out while you can = which is prior to death. More good tips tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 10:00 PM, freetoroam said:

They still can not just disect you, they will still need permission from your family. 

You will still need to let your family or put in your will what you decided on prior to your death.

If you did not bother to opt out, you will need to hope the people who now have to arrange your burial (because you will not be able to do that yourself) fight your case..

The easiest  thing to do is opt out while you can = which is prior to death. More good tips tomorrow.

No they dont need permission, all unexpected deaths are required to have an autopsy.

I have opted out, and no cremation either, I have my own coffin funeral plan.

2 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

No they dont need permission, all unexpected deaths are required to have an autopsy.

I have opted out, and no cremation either, I have my own coffin funeral plan.

They still can not help themselves to the organs without the next of kins permission. 

I would think this applies mainly to those who have left no will and have no family. 

As people now need to opt out, it is possible the family have to still be asked incase the deceased was too ill or unable to or do not bother about opting out, so even if someone has not opted out with this, they still may have specified in a will what they want to happen with their organs, hence the family have to give concent according to the will.  I think. 

i rekon people will give it a miss to any of my organs most of them are all buggard up