Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dan Aykroyd on new show 'Hotel Paranormal'

UM-Bot

It looks interesting! :)

• Like 2

That's entertainment.

I met him at the club, nice cat, i had a very tiny part in my girl they filmed part near my house,

But his stories hold no more weight for me than any one elses.

• Like 3

It amazes me how this genre of television shows keeps going and going. Other genres of reality shows seem to run their course and then it's the next wave.

I think cable TV has done a lot of good by making millions aware that the paranormal is a real and serious subject. It has made acceptance of the paranormal mainstream.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

It amazes me how this genre of television shows keeps going and going. Other genres of reality shows seem to run their course and then it's the next wave.

I think cable TV has done a lot of good by making millions aware that the paranormal is a real and serious subject. It has made acceptance of the paranormal mainstream.

Just because something is on TV doesnt make it real or proven. Ghost and haunt shows on cable might make paranormal more known but far from makes it accepted or real, after all none of these shows ever offer any proof.

My take is true believers in haunts and ghosts are far more naive and gullible than say true believers in bigfoot or that aliens are,

TV is about one thing making a buck and if enough gullible people will tune in then they will keep making the shows, true believer $$$ is as good as any ones.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, the13bats said:

Just because something is on TV doesnt make it real or proven. Ghost and haunt shows on cable might make paranormal more known but far from makes it accepted or real, after all none of these shows ever offer any proof.

My take is true believers in haunts and ghosts are far more naive and gullible than say true believers in bigfoot or that aliens are,

TV is about one thing making a buck and if enough gullible people will tune in then they will keep making the shows, true believer $$$ is as good as any ones.

I am not saying to believe everything we see and hear. However, when I stand back and look at the full picture of all these events, my honest rational conclusion is that so-called paranormal things do occur beyond reasonable doubt. The chance that 100% of these things are lies or misinterpretation of the normal has essentially hit zero in my books for all intents and purposes. To me, it's just logical reasoning. 

At this point the really interesting thing to me is learning more about the phenomena. Its existence is certain to me 10 times over by now.

I know the never-say-die non-believer's attitude and think their ego has overtaken their logic. The rest of us move on with what new things these shows have to show us about this deep universe.

• Like 2

Nice to see him doing this stuff again. I loved watching PSI Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal. His voice just seemed to be right into it, always kept me interested.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NorthenerON said:

Nice to see him doing this stuff again. I loved watching PSI Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal. His voice just seemed to be right into it, always kept me interested.

I believe he personally loves the stuff opposed to the host just getting a paycheck

• Like 1

5 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

It has made acceptance of the paranormal mainstream.

Only to the gullible.

These people are out to make money, they are faked and their fakes are explainable.

I used to watch Derek Acorah because it was entertaining and funny, never saw a ghost on there once. 

And thats the thing with these paranormal shows, you never see a ghost, there is the clue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Only to the gullible.

These people are out to make money, they are faked and their fakes are explainable.

I used to watch Derek Acorah because it was entertaining and funny, never saw a ghost on there once. 

And thats the thing with these paranormal shows, you never see a ghost, there is the clue.

I see strong evidence of the paranormal on just about every episode including the testimony of many regular people witnesses/experiencers. I judge according to my understanding of human nature and the universe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I see strong evidence of the paranormal on just about every episode including the testimony of many regular people witnesses/experiencers. I judge according to my understanding of human nature and the universe.

The 'evidence' is fake.

Here is an interesting article for the believers. I am posting this for you as it is from a paranormal investigator and not a sceptic.

The recipe is the same. Investigators equipped with cameras and various ghost-detecting devices spend a night in a hotel/house/abandoned warehouse said to be haunted. Before the sun rises, they’ve seen/spoken with/found evidence of the afterlife. Everyone goes home shaken.

Amico said the shows are misleading at best, fake at worst

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azcentral.com/amp/705566001

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

The 'evidence' is fake.

Here is an interesting article for the believers. I am posting this for you as it is from a paranormal investigator and not a sceptic.

It would be quite an accusation to say the most respected ones fake evidence. Paranormal opponents will say it is all fake. I use my own fair judgment including the consideration of the real people interviewed. 

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

It would be quite an accusation to say the most respected ones fake evidence. Paranormal opponents will say it is all fake. I use my own fair judgment including the consideration of the real people interviewed. 

Respected? That's your judgement. 

Why would other paranormal investigators want to say its fake, surely they are in this together?

If these shows were real, it would help all of them, but as they are faked and present no evidence of paranormal activity, they just make a mockery of the whole paranormal thing while  making money out of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

If the investigator is serious he wouldn't fake evidence. Judgment of the credibility of the investigators is the key. But the investigators findings are supplemented by just regular people witnesses and experiencers. Your conspiracy theory grows quickly.

People believe things because they want to all the time. Basing validity on the earnestness f the presenter is patently ridiculous.

If something can be reproduced by conventional means, why isn't it a more likely answer than one that cannot be reproduced or evidenced? It's illogical to consider the more unlikely answer.

• Like 1

Considering the topic of this thread. Shows want "results" because they are entertainment. The "results" equal rating, which is money. Not that hard to figure out. Hell, ghost adventures is a prime example of this. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

People believe things because they want to all the time. Basing validity on the earnestness f the presenter is patently ridiculous.

If something can be reproduced by conventional means, why isn't it a more likely answer than one that cannot be reproduced or evidenced? It's illogical to consider the more unlikely answer.

I also consider my judgment of human nature and that includes regular people with no fame or fortune to be had. For me, the likelihood of the paranormal by now exceeds a confederation of liars for episode after episode.  

27 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

LOL. You're infallible?

And you can never prove it is fake by watching an episode. The best you can do is claim fake. Doesn't impress me.

Most likely fake. You cannot show that other more conventional explanations are not the definitive answer. There's no reason at all that the paranormal is a better answer. That's just imagination.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

I also consider my judgment of human nature and that includes regular people with no fame or fortune to be had. For me, the likelihood of the paranormal by now exceeds a confederation of liars for episode after episode.  

Liars are not by any means the all encompassing answer either. Some poor ignorant people completely believe the most ridiculous things simply because they don't bother to look further than the answer they want. Starting with a conclusion is where you and they go wildly wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dan Aykroyd is one such person. His family are strong believers and that has obviously influenced him. He had offered many wild ideas over the years including UFO alien stories and men in black.

Just now, psyche101 said:

Liars are not by any means the all encompassing answer either. Some poor ignorant people completely believe the most ridiculous things simply because they don't bother to look further than the answer they want. Starting with a conclusion is where you and they go wildly wrong.

I don't think everyone who tell ghost stories is a liar. I think they've just misunderstood what they saw. There are too many psychological explanations for seeing ghost. Even things like infrasound can create a ghost sighting, pareadolia plays a huge part most of the time, along with altered state of consciousness. Like going to the bathroom at 3 am and seeing a ghost. 

Though there are liars and those who exaggerate things. Plus those who come in with "10 years ago......", which is never reliable. 

In the case of paranormal investigation you've got people running around with repurposed equipment getting false positives. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Most likely fake. You cannot show that other more conventional explanations are not the definitive answer. There's no reason at all that the paranormal is a better answer. That's just imagination.

1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

I consider all that but believe by now the quantity and quality of the evidence is hard to overcome with the 'all liars and misinterpretation' theory. I believe this universe is just deeper than we can get our heads around. I believe that now beyond reasonable doubt. 

Just now, XenoFish said:

I don't think everyone who tell ghost stories is a liar. I think they've just misunderstood what they saw. There are too many psychological explanations for seeing ghost. Even things like infrasound can create a ghost sighting, pareadolia plays a huge part most of the time, along with altered state of consciousness. Like going to the bathroom at 3 am and seeing a ghost. 

Though there are liars and those who exaggerate things. Plus those who come in with "10 years ago......", which is never reliable. 

In the case of paranormal investigation you've got people running around with repurposed equipment getting false positives. 

For sure, that's what I was saying. I have no doubt tv show presenters lie a lot for their viewers sake, but plenty openly believe he silliest ide.