Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Man finds secret tunnel under his house

Still Waters

A large, century-old secret tunnel large enough to house a ‘grotto-type bathing area’ has been discovered buried underneath a Plymouth home.

Jake Brown was working on his new Georgian property in Emma Place when he realised one wall underneath his home had a different texture. After a spot of drilling, he was then able to make an opening large enough to fit his head through to take a closer look.

He found a boarded-up tunnel filled with evidence dating back to the early 1900s, and a newspaper suggesting it had been sealed for more than 50 years. Jake said: ‘Once I had made two holes, one for viewing, one for a torch, I peered through into the dark dusty expanse and realised that it was another cavern of sorts.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/04/man-finds-secret-120-year-old-tunnel-underneath-house-drilling-hole-wall-12653700/?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Piney

Beer tunnel. My grandmom had one in the main farmhouse. 

Wine can be kept in a cellar but beer and ale is better kept underground.

• Like 1

hetrodoxly

So the house had a cellar, lost in the mists of time '1964' i think the national trust will want to take control of it and the bit of newspaper will be on permanent display at the British museum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

'Walt' E. Kurtz

Probably Coal cellar