Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What was in the driveway?

mystic_chill

On 5/22/2020 at 5:41 AM, mystic_chill said:

This just happened about an hour ago approximately 3:42am Friday May 22. From my second floor bedroom window I happen to look out and observe something I can't explain nor describe in precise detail. Whatever it was I just saw didn't belong there and I observed it for about 2 minutes before it vanished. It caught my eye as the end of the driveway where the garbage is collected on Tuesdays was supposed to be clear. At first my thought process was someone parked their motorcycle there although that's not what I was seeing. I couldn't make out what this thing was but it was definitely solid and dark with no direct light hitting it. The object/entity was still and did not move so I figured it was definitely some kind of vehicle. The window was shut when I first observed it so after gazing at it for several moments I decided to force it open as this window has a broken track and requires something to hold it from shutting. Opening the window and peering out this thing whatever it was did not move. From my vantage point of about 60ft I was starting to make out 2 dark objects instead of what I initially thought was a bike. They were standing about the height of the garbage bins that would be placed in that area. If they were entities of any kind it seemed like they were facing the direction down the street. I had my phone so I hit the power button and the screen was too bright so I aim it towards this thing but the light didn't seem to reach it for me to see anymore detail. Next I aim the screen back on me and when I set up to get a pic the thing was gone. Now I'm beating myself up for having seen something so odd and having nothing not even a detailed description of what I saw. This thing was motionless from the time I spotted it to the time it vanished. There was no indication that whatever this was was going anywhere so I sorta took my time analyzing it trying to make sense of the whole ordeal. I even had the intention to go down and get a closer look at it. I'm just confused and wonder what was it in the driveway that didn't belong? How did it just vanish? It was definitely there. Additionally the smell of a skunk filled the air shortly after. I been a member here for some time and knew that this would be the place to document my sighting as this is something very strange. Can't take my mind off it.

P.S. I wanted to add that this thing was partially on the street and I was waiting for the occassional car to go by to see head lights hit it but no cars ever passed during the sighting.

Raccoons? Maybe

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mystic_chill said:

I guess I'm not here for expert advice

OK, I'll be off then.  Wouldn't want to explain any mysteries, would we...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/8/2020 at 12:45 AM, the13bats said:

I understand you believe that but the eyes and brain can not be trusted, period.

We all see weird stuff that we dont know what it really is and it might not even be there, i know people who see all kinds of cool stuff thats really not there when they have gone too long without sleep.

I find there is a certain part of the evening where the light seems to have a negative affect on my eyes they seem to struggle to focus properly as the light changes.  It's hard to explain, but I remember one evening walking home from my sisters I was walking down ta road that lead to a very quiet isolated path as I am walking I notice a person standing at the end of the road near to where I would have to pass just stood there not moving.  I became  concerned as at the time there had been some acts in the area, but decided to continue (stupid? possibly) as I get closer to the person I am watching them like a hawk only to realise when I got close enough that they are in fact a concrete post that came just above my knee.  I felt both relieved and embarrassed at the same time.   To this day I do not know how I thought a short concrete post was another person but I did.  So yes our eyes and brains do have a way of playing tricks on us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2020 at 6:09 AM, openozy said:

Shadows could have been from a light in a surrounding home and was turned off.I've seen cats still for quite a time having a stand off.

An animal stand-off was the first thing I thought of as well. It's a plausible explanation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TashaMarie said:

I find there is a certain part of the evening where the light seems to have a negative affect on my eyes they seem to struggle to focus properly as the light changes.  It's hard to explain, but I remember one evening walking home from my sisters I was walking down ta road that lead to a very quiet isolated path as I am walking I notice a person standing at the end of the road near to where I would have to pass just stood there not moving.  I became  concerned as at the time there had been some acts in the area, but decided to continue (stupid? possibly) as I get closer to the person I am watching them like a hawk only to realise when I got close enough that they are in fact a concrete post that came just above my knee.  I felt both relieved and embarrassed at the same time.   To this day I do not know how I thought a short concrete post was another person but I did.  So yes our eyes and brains do have a way of playing tricks on us.

Im simpatico with that, even as a kid out playing the sun would start setting , twilight and my vision just wasnt right, yeah, hard to explain once dark i was okay again,

Then about 20 years ago i start getting optical migrains, most times mine do not hurt, then add in i need reading glasses,

I see shadows out the cornor of my eye or think my cats jumped and it really didnt, i sure can understand why some would demand that it must be paranormal, even though its not.

For me your experence speaks volumes lets pretend you didnt keep going but went another direction never learning the "people" were poles, then you could say that you believe it was people it would be real to you yet you would be incorrect.

Ive had times that i just might have rather blamed paranormal rather than face my real issue.

• Like 1

Ok thanks again for all the input on the situation but let me give a little more info on myself, I'm 38 years of age, have a decent educational background and have a rational mind. I dont suffer from hallucinations, sleep walk, or have any consistent history with the paranormal (only one which stands out when I was a very small toddler). I also have 2020 vision so tricking my eye is not something that I would consider a possibility in this instance.

I know what an animal looks like whether it be raccoon or otherwise. This whatever it is I saw did not make sense to me. No expert opinion such as trick of the eye or imagination would give me closure to what it was I saw. When I opened the window after a few moments analyzing it, the sound from the window which sorta makes a loud screech in that time of night would have alerted an animal I would imagine but this thing never moved.

It's as if whatever it was I saw during those early hours was not meant to be seen. There was no activity around it or about it for it to even be there.  And when it vanished everything was as it should be, a clear driveway. I ommitted in my prior posts that I did go out after the sighting to the exact spot where this was and there was nothing. I have a picture of the driveway from the window that I witnessed it which for some reason I'm unable to post here. 

Needless to say I have been peering out the same window during all hours of the night expecting to see it again but all has been normal outside my little cousins experience.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, the13bats said:

Im simpatico with that, even as a kid out playing the sun would start setting , twilight and my vision just wasnt right, yeah, hard to explain once dark i was okay again,

Then about 20 years ago i start getting optical migrains, most times mine do not hurt, then add in i need reading glasses,

I see shadows out the cornor of my eye or think my cats jumped and it really didnt, i sure can understand why some would demand that it must be paranormal, even though its not.

For me your experence speaks volumes lets pretend you didnt keep going but went another direction never learning the "people" were poles, then you could say that you believe it was people it would be real to you yet you would be incorrect.

Ive had times that i just might have rather blamed paranormal rather than face my real issue.

Yep I too suffer with migraines and did at the time however mine are the ones accompanied by pain and a lot of it.  I do wear glasses and did at the time which may have helped with the error.  But you are right I would have to this day believed it was someone stood there if I had not chosen to continue.  PS apologies for the errors in my previous post, I need to start proof reading what I write before posting.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TashaMarie said:

Yep I too suffer with migraines and did at the time however mine are the ones accompanied by pain and a lot of it.  I do wear glasses and did at the time which may have helped with the error.  But you are right I would have to this day believed it was someone stood there if I had not chosen to continue.  PS apologies for the errors in my previous post, I need to start proof reading what I write before posting.

Didnt know about any errors, its all good no worries, you see my mess i make of posts.

My optical migrains thankfully only had pain the first few and ive had countless since, they are just another part of my ptsd, panic, ADD, OCD, drdp etc lol self,

Ive started looking out of the box in a whole new direction with "paranormal" type stuff,  perception, a man, a monster, a fairy or angel or alien, the mind, imagination, hallucination  that seems so real to the person experiencing it it is real to them.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello UM members. So I came back here to finally submit photo diagrams of the sighting I had back in May of 2020. The first photo is an overhead view of the scene with the yellow line indicating my vantage point from the house second floor window to the end of the clear  driveway where the mystery entity stood. Distance estimates 57 ft. The second photo demonstrates the markings of where the thing stood (bottom left) and where my window is in relation (top right).

This concludes my report of the sighting.

Screenshot_20210126-064308_Earth.thumb.jpg.fe963d51abbfe2d9b719f7ec6f66447c.jpg1307071410_20200528_2231452.thumb.jpg.9c00b4e5f4f3e13b39f1e4f71ef18647.jpg