Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

'Active' Jupiter trojan is first of its kind

Montmorency the Dog

So this is another meaning of Trojan then? I was thinking someone had found some malicious software that had been tracked down to originating on Jupiter. That would be quite a find. :mellow:

Essan
56 minutes ago, Montmorency the Dog said:

So this is another meaning of Trojan then? I was thinking someone had found some malicious software that had been tracked down to originating on Jupiter. That would be quite a find. :mellow:

Yes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter_trojan

• Thanks 2

Waspie_Dwarf
1 hour ago, Montmorency the Dog said:

This is a far older use of the word Trojan, but not as old as the usage pertaining to wooden horses made by the Greeks.

• Thanks 2

Piney
14 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

This is a far older use of the word Trojan, but not as old as the usage pertaining to wooden horses made by the Greeks.

Just reading Andy's link and I find it interesting that they divide them up into the "Greek Camp" and "Trojan Camp" and name them accordingly. :)

• Like 1

Waspie_Dwarf
3 hours ago, Piney said:

Just reading Andy's link and I find it interesting that they divide them up into the "Greek Camp" and "Trojan Camp" and name them accordingly. :)

The division is a natural one, it depends on whether the asteroids are 60° ahead, or 60° behind Jupiter in its orbit.

NASA has an interesting missing called Lucy, which will launch next year. It will fly-by 1 main belt asteroid, then 4 of the Greek Camp (leading) Jupiter Trojans. It will the swing by the Earth before making a fly-by of  Trojan Camp binary asteroid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

woopypooky

I just found out that Cupid also is actually an asteroid