Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Kenemet

No Evidence new mutations more infectious

Kenemet

A preprint research paper

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.21.108506v1

. Due to this extremely recent association with humans, SARS-CoV-2 may not yet be fully adapted to its human host. This has led to speculations that some lineages of SARS-CoV-2 may be evolving towards higher transmissibility. The most plausible candidate mutations under putative natural selection are those which have emerged repeatedly and independently (homoplasies). Here, we formally test whether any of the recurrent mutations that have been observed in SARS-CoV-2 to date significantly alter viral transmission. To do so, we developed a phylogenetic index to quantify the relative number of descendants in sister clades with and without a specific allele

This is a dataset investigation, which is kind of ... detective work after the crime is committed.  To date, none of the mutations make it more infectious than the original virus... which is sort of good news.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Swede
51 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

This is a dataset investigation, which is kind of ... detective work after the crime is committed.  To date, none of the mutations make it more infectious than the original virus... which is sort of good news.

Kenemet: While certainly not an epidemiologist/virologist, have some possibly applicable understandings of viral mutation. The base line, and you can easily research this, is that it is not uncommon for viruses to mutate in such a manner that they do not "eliminate" their host populations. A rather understandable biological adaptation. If you no longer have a host, the agent will cease to exist. A rough analogy: Another corona virus is the common cold. Yes, understand that you know that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Piney
15 minutes ago, Swede said:

Another corona virus is one of the common colds. Yes, understand that you know that.

:tu:

• Like 2

Jarocal

Pandemics/Situations like this are why I have practiced social distancing for years from everyone other than hookers. Well them and the liquor store employees. The only two proffesions I find respectable...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Piney
9 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

Pandemics/Situations like this are why I have practiced social distancing for years from everyone other than hookers. Well them and the liquor store employees. The only two proffesions I find respectable...

You forgot beach going co-eds. :whistle:

• Haha 2

OverSword
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

Are different strains of the cold more and less infectious, to your knowledge?

Edited by OverSword
  • Thanks 1

Piney
57 minutes ago, OverSword said:

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/common_cold_causes

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/common-cold/symptoms-causes/syc-20351605

I think they are all about the same. 

• Like 1

third_eye

There is nothing definitively conclusive on the original lineage as yet, as far as I know. That's why there's all this "who is" responsible for spreading it worldwide finger pointing in every direction. 

Many possible suspects but patient zero hasn't been established. So far it is still observational and still stands at A, B and C strains. 

Problem is, the data collected from the past two months were totally unreliable and made everything known thus far questionable as well. 

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Swede
On 5/22/2020 at 4:09 PM, Piney said:

:tu:

Good point.

• Thanks 1

Kenemet
On 5/22/2020 at 4:34 PM, OverSword said:

I have no knowledge about the viruses that cause colds.

• Thanks 1

OverSword
3 hours ago, Kenemet said:

I have no knowledge about the viruses that cause colds.

Colds are also a corona virus though, correct?

Kenemet
1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Colds are also a corona virus though, correct?

Yes, but that's like saying "a clouded leopard is a cat."  You can know everything about Siamese cats and nothing about clouded leopards.

• Like 1