Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

100's of $millions scammed from unemployment

OverSword

Washington state officials have acknowledged the loss of “hundreds of millions of dollars” to an international fraud scheme that hammered the state’s unemployment insurance system and could mean even longer delays for thousands of jobless workers still waiting for legitimate benefits.

Suzi LeVine, commissioner of the state Employment Security Department (ESD), disclosed the staggering losses during a news conference Thursday afternoon. LeVine declined to specify how much money was stolen during the scam, which is believed to be orchestrated from Nigeria. But she conceded that the amount was “orders of magnitude above” the $1.6 million that the ESD reported losing to fraudsters in April.

Link

OMG my state fell for a Nigerian scam :blink:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Link

OMG my state fell for a Nigerian scam :blink:

I bet "Jaydolph" knows where the money went...

• Haha 3

How could this happen still today? 

The group has been running scams for more than a decade, working to steal Social Security payments, student aid and disaster relief funds, among other targets, the report said.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/economy/washington-adds-more-than-145000-weekly-jobless-claims-as-coronavirus-crisis-lingers/

A decade? And still going strong! 

You have to wonder is there are employees involved??

I remember years back the home office in Croydon employed an African ( equality and all that) and he was handing out visas to his African friends. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, hacktorp said:

I bet "Jaydolph" knows where the money went...

JAYDOLPH!! :w00t:

• Haha 3